ISO a good cooking book to begin with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have much cookbook. Most of the time, if I need a recipes, I go to the internet. The way I cook is what on the frigid right now, so most of the time I don't have the ingredients on the recipes. Can any one suggest a cookbook the teach you to understand the ingredients and how to use them, and what technique? Thanks

Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything"
Bump. I picked up a copy of this at a local thrift store for $2. Even though I have over 1000 hard copies of cookbooks, this one was a nice one to add to my collect. I particularly like the list of meat dishes that are better the next day and the illustrations on how to clean fish, spatchcock a chicken, etc. I would definitely recommend keeping one's eye open for this at yard sales or thrift stores. Or, ordering on-line.

piling on to an ancient thread.

My favorite all round book is the Creative Cooking Course by by Charlotte Turgeon. It was published in the 80's and you can still find copies in used bookstores and online for decent prices. It's classically based but has awesome pics on every page and loads of techniques are explained. There are pages on making simple sauces, pics about how to use a rolling pin, knife safety, etc... right up to an including how to make fancy french dishes, beef wellington, salt crusted fish, souffles and full sized croquembouche.

This is what the Joy of cooking and Betty crocker aimed for and missed, imo. My own copy is tattered, stained, smells vaguely of garlic and cloves and falls open to several favorites.

cookbk.jpg

Back
Top Bottom