ISO best/new ways to cook corn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey all! I'm having some relatives over next weekend and our corn field is plentiful! I want to prepare something using corn, but I'm a bit sick of plain old charred corn or corn with butter. Do you guys have any new ways of how to cook/prepare it? Thanks! :chef:

Hello Linda! How are you doing? if you have heard of New Zealand, they cook it hangi style, over hot coals under the ground. This is absolutely delish, my husband cooks corn this way all the time, and i am really craving it now that i have had it! Spiced corn is also delish!

Last edited:
We enjoy it lightly steamed, cut from the cob, and mixed with grape tomatoes. It can be served warm, room temperature, or cold. I like to add cotija or queso fresco to it, along with a dash of Tajin seasoning. The original recipe called for corn, tomatoes, red onions, and Cheddar cheese. I'm not a fan of raw onions. And the Cheddar got...mushy. Cheddar works if you add it to each serving when plating. I have added fresh chives - those are nice. So are tiny mozzarella balls. You can add to the corn-tomato combo anything your taste buds might want.

Last edited:
My husband went to New Zealand a few years back, but he never had corn hangi-style! I will have to try that out, sounds delish! I definitely also want to try your recipe Cooking Goddess, my stomach is rumbling just thinking about it! We have a ton of corn and don't want to put any to waste!

In that case, Linda, you might want to freeze some? I just saw an interesting, almost no work method. Just cut the top and bottom off the ear, right through the husk, after taking off a couple outer leaves. Not many, though. Then put in freezer or vacuum seal bags and toss in the freezer. They can be cooked from the frozen state, tossed into boiling water, for about 15 minutes. Sounds easy, but I haven't tried this.

*Southern corn puding
*Whole corn kernals combined with rice peppers, halved grape tomatoes
*Corn Kernals mixed with Stir-fry ingredients
*Corn kernals folded into pancake, or waffle batter
*Added to chili
*Spiced, and sir-fried with shrimp, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and bean sprouts, and appropriate sauce
*Added to salsa
*Added to gazpaco
*Kernals combine with mushroom duxcells, and stufed into beef, or pork roulade
*Kernals added to cornbread batter, or cornbread fressing

There's a few ideas for you. Hope it helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Mexican Street Corn​
Ingredients:

• 4 ears fresh sweet corn
  • ¼ cup Mexican crema
  • ¼ cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • ¼ tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • 1 Tbs fresh lime juice
  • ¼ cup queso añejo, crumbled
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika, for garnish
  • ¼ cup fresh cilantro, for garnish
  • Lime wedges, for garnish
Instructions:

Remove the dry outer husks from 4 ears of corn and cut off any stems and protruding silk tassles. Place each ear of corn in a microwave and cook on high for 5 minutes. When all ears are cooked, squeeze the fat end of each ear until the corn slides out of the small end, clean as a whistle!

Preheat the grill to 400F.

Place the crema, mayonnaise, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, lime zest and lime juice in a medium bowl, whisk together until completely blended, season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside. Spread the queso añejo in the bottom of a shallow pan, like a pie plate, and set aside.

Place the husked corn directly onto grill grates. Grill the corn for about 3 minutes per side until kernels are brown and charred, then remove the corn from the grill.

Using a pastry brush, coat each ear of corn generously with the crema mixture and roll in the queso añejo cheese. Garnish with smoked paprika and fresh cilantro, and serve with lime wedges.

IMO simple is best.

I would serve traditional corn on the cob with plenty of butter or cut the raw kernels from the cob and poach them in butter.

This corn salad is a nice side dish and should be made ahead.

Corn Salad/Relish adapted from a recipe by Marion Cunningham.

4 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
6 ribs celery
2 onions

Pickle
1 cup sugar
2 t dry mustard
2 t turmeric
2 t celery seed
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup water

Chop the vegetables roughly the size of corn kernels. Put everything into a pot and bring to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Put hot relish into sterilized jars and refrigerate when cool. This will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks. You can also can it for long-term storage by processing in a water bath canner for 10 or 15 minutes. I just put it into a covered dish and refrigerate it overnight, or for several days, then serve ice cold.

All yummy ideas!
We make ours fairly plain, microwave in the husk for 6 minutes (less for small cobs, more for extra large cobs), then brush with a sauce, sprinkle with chili powder, a dash of salt.
There are two sauces we use since we don't use dairy or oils.

Lemon garlic tofu cream-a silken tofu with lemon juice/rind and garlic in a quart wide mouth canning jar, then blend with a hand blender until mostly smooth. Refrigerate.

OR
Lemon juice and water, a little corn starch, garlic, blend then cook until thickened. Refrigerate.
We use an inexpensive natural chip brush (like a small paint brush), to brush on the sauce.

IMO simple is best.

I would serve traditional corn on the cob with plenty of butter or cut the raw kernels from the cob and poach them in butter.

This corn salad is a nice side dish and should be made ahead.

Corn Salad/Relish adapted from a recipe by Marion Cunningham.

4 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
6 ribs celery
2 onions

Pickle
1 cup sugar
2 t dry mustard
2 t turmeric
2 t celery seed
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup water

Chop the vegetables roughly the size of corn kernels. Put everything into a pot and bring to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Put hot relish into sterilized jars and refrigerate when cool. This will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks. You can also can it for long-term storage by processing in a water bath canner for 10 or 15 minutes. I just put it into a covered dish and refrigerate it overnight, or for several days, then serve ice cold.

Ooh! That sounds delicious, can it be "canned" do you think?

I haven't tried this recipe myself, but it truly is drool worthy :LOL:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/274640/bacorn-cheese-corn/

Sorry to rain on this parade. It does look and sound drool worthy. It was disappointing. It was pretty good, but far too much effort for the result. We didn't feel that either the bacon or the corn was improved by combining them. I also think it was overly rich. My notes say to try subbing yogourt or sour cream for the heavy cream, so it was probably a bit cloying. Honestly, I would eat it, but I don't think I could motivate myself even to be bothered trying to tweak it.

Corn and Mirliton(chayote squash) Maque Choux. There are many recipes on the net. This is a very simple one. The below is for 2-3 servings and can easily be scaled up.

2 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off, then cob scraped to "milk" the cob.
2 mirliton/chayote squash, peeled, seed removed, then 1/4"-ish diced.
1/4 cup diced onions (optional, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't)
1-2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
1/4 to 1/2 tsp dried oregano to taste (I tend toward the 1/4 tsp side)
salt and pepper to taste

Prep as above. In medium skillet, melt the butter, add the onions and saute for a couple of minutes if using, then add corn and mirliton/chayote, and remaining ingredients, starting with the lower amount of water. Cover and cook until corn and squash are done to tenderness you like. Serve.

For those who don't know, chayote/mirliton squash look kind of like a light green pear. It is quite often sold in a plastic wrapper as it is a tender squash and bruises easily.

A bit of topic. I guess I am weird, I love corn, but only if it's boiled or grilled with husk on.
Give me anything else and I won't eat it.

Back
Top Bottom