Just Wondering...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We got rid of one 5 or 10 years ago. It was a Britannica with several year books. We hadn't used it for ages. Wikipedia is handier and more up-to-date.

Yes, I got my Dad's leather bound Britannica a few years ago. It has my fingerprints on all the pages. I used to read them from beginning to end.

Haven't had any since I was in high school, which has been more than 50 years ago.

My parents bought a set of World Book, along with subscribing to each year's upgrade books.

Haven't seen one in years save for yard sales and flea market offerings.

Last time I saw any encyclopedias was over in Mom's house, when we cleaned it out, a little over 2 years ago - a set of Britannica, from '64, I think, and a set of World Book, from '68, the latter still on the shelves. These were things I grew up with, back then, and Mom sold World Book!

Last edited:
My parents used to buy a volume a week at the supermarket. Never did finish the set. I spent a lot of time at the library.

We did when I was a kid.

All I remember was having to do reports and only having the encyclopedias.

We were supposed to make a two page report on something that only had one paragraph in the encyclopedia. Never did understand how the math on that worked.

Looking back, I realize we could use the library. However, I also don't remember ever really being taught how to do proper research.

We were shown how to use the Dewey Decimal System, and the told go to it.

I can't imagine how easy it must be for kids now, with so much information at their fingertips. It would be hard to only do 2 pages on pretty much any subject.

Heck, I do research just for fun these days, sitting in front of the TV. It is part of everyday life now I suppose.

I can't imagine using an encyclopedia these days for anything. Information changes daily on almost any subject.

Edit: looks like it is all online now.

Last edited:
Bought one on time payments.. Remember the door-to-door salesman? LOL

Then we got my parents set, don't think they were leather bound, some soft leather like material, was from the early 50's I think.

Somehow we acquired a 3rd set. Have no idea where it came from. So we had 3 sets of encyclopedias in the house.

Today I have no idea where any of them went. ???

We still have the 1985 edition of The World Book Encyclopedia.
IMG_2048.jpg

Bought one on time payments.. Remember the door-to-door salesman? LOL

Then we got my parents set, don't think they were leather bound, some soft leather like material, was from the early 50's I think.

Somehow we acquired a 3rd set. Have no idea where it came from. So we had 3 sets of encyclopedias in the house.

Today I have no idea where any of them went. ???

When I was 19, I took a job selling them. The guy training me was a total jerk. He, purposely, went to low income housing to sell sets, talking people who could not afford them to sign up.

I lasted 3 days. :(

Ross

I had a set of World Book and a set of the Great Books of the Western World.
Donated both to the library about 2 years go. I don't know what they did with the encyclopedia, but they have my Great Books on the reference shelves.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom