Long lasting cookies and fortune cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

songbird

Assistant Cook
I am getting married in August and want to make fortune cookies and/or little gingerbread men and women as favours.
I dont want to too baking too close to the wedding.
Can anyone tell me how long homemade cookies usually last, or suggust any long lasting but tasty recipes.
Thanks for your help.

You can bake them and freeze, Gingerbread ones without frosting you can, there will be more replys from our bakers Iam sure -- Good Luck to you and yours !

It may depend on what kind of climate you live in--if it is humid it will be more difficult. Freezing is a possibility. Large containers, air tight and then again sealed in a plastic bag could keep them at least fresh from disintegration. I would make them a month in advance.

Look for a lebkuchen cookie recipe. You make these ahead of time. They come out of the oven rock hard and need to "cure" in a sealed container with either bread slices or apple slices for about a week to soften into a wonderful gingerbread type cookie. They last forever! I just threw out about 4-5 cookies left over from Christmas because we were tired of eating them not because they were bad! They were made shortly after Thanksgiving! They can be iced or just dusted with powdered sugar. My sister has the family recipe or I would post it here. She usually makes the dough and then we all get together to roll and cut and bake and decorate. It can be a lot of fun! Might be a good time to get your attendants together for an afternoon of baking and girl time before the big day!

I know for a fact Italian gingerbread, pane del morte (although I have almost certainly spelled that incorrectly) freezes beautifully, because we did that this year. I even like knawing on it frozen, but it defrosts very well and could well be used to make gingerbred men I imagine :)

Back
Top Bottom