Looking for name of Mexican dish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andersp90

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone. :)

I am looking for the name of a dish we had at a mexican resturant while visiting New Zealand. :)

It was served in a clay pot and consisted of 3 layers.

A meaty sauce with a taco spice flavour made up the bottom, then a middle layer consiting of a thick creamy bean sauce, and finally topped of with a thick cheese sauce.

The dish was served with corn chips. :)

Any help is welcome! :)

Kind regards Anders.

Last edited:
The first Mexican dish that comes to my mind is Salma Hayek!

The next Mexican dish that comes to mind in a layered Mexican dip. There are as many variations of Mexican layered dips as there are beans in Guadalajara.

I would start with a layer of sautéed ground beef with taco seasoning (there are many available recipes on line) and increase the tomato to make it saucy.

Next I would lay down a layer of refried beans mixed with a little Crema Mexicana (it's the Mexican version of Crème Fraiche).

For the third layer I would go with a cheddar cheese sauce, or Velveeta if you're so inclined, with ground cumin, chili powder, maybe some smoked paprika, and cilantro mixed in. If you're one of those people that think cilantro tastes like soap, use parsley instead.

Like I said, everyone has their own idea of Mexican layered dip, so just use some ingenuity, a little trial and error, and have fun with it!

The first Mexican dish that comes to my mind is Salma Hayek!

Looks amazing! :yum: But where do I get the ingredients for that "dish"? :LOL:

The next Mexican dish that comes to mind in a layered Mexican dip. There are as many variations of Mexican layered dips as there are beans in Guadalajara.

I would start with a layer of sautéed ground beef with taco seasoning (there are many available recipes on line) and increase the tomato to make it saucy.

Next I would lay down a layer of refried beans mixed with a little Crema Mexicana (it's the Mexican version of Crème Fraiche).

For the third layer I would go with a cheddar cheese sauce, or Velveeta if you're so inclined, with ground cumin, chili powder, maybe some smoked paprika, and cilantro mixed in. If you're one of those people that think cilantro tastes like soap, use parsley instead.

Like I said, everyone has their own idea of Mexican layered dip, so just use some ingenuity, a little trial and error, and have fun with it!

That sounds about right! :yum:

Thx for the quick answer! :)

Well...im from Texas, and never heard of this dish...it might be a New Zealand take on Mexican food. But it does sound good!

It does sound like Mexican 5- or 7- or 9-Layer Dip :)

I make seven layers: refried beans, sour cream mixed with 1/2 packet of taco seasoning, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, guacamole, and shredded cheddar cheese. Garnish with sliced chives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom