Looking for TNT chicken tika masala recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do like cilantro. I didn't used to like it, but acquired a taste for it. Now I've reached a point that some dishes just aren't right without it.

I do like cilantro. I didn't used to like it, but acquired a taste for it. Now I've reached a point that some dishes just aren't right without it.
Then maybe I'll cut down the amount of cilantro in the dish. I hate cilantro, but have never even noticed the flavour in Indian dishes that I know have it. Maybe it changes when it's cooked.

I always have hot lime pickle, Brinjal pickle and chilli sauce available for those who want more heat. My thinking is that you can always 'add' if you want, not so easy to take away.

That's easier to fix than getting a balance of many ingredients right :)
Definitely, and so much less work and clean up. And there's no weird additives. I guess the anti-microbial properties of capsaicin, garlic, ginger, etc. act as natural preservatives. There is citric acid in it.

Same here. But I like raw fresh cilantro. I once put a bunch of fresh cilantro into some type of braise and it ruined the dish.
But I did not know what I was doing.
I now am much more careful when cooking with it and use as much as possible when fresh.

Then maybe I'll cut down the amount of cilantro in the dish. I hate cilantro, but have never even noticed the flavour in Indian dishes that I know have it. Maybe it changes when it's cooked.

There is a saying.
"If you don't like cilantro, try it again. If you still don't like it, try it again"

It most definitely changes with cooking. It can be very strong and take over the dish. My recommendations are to use fresh raw cilantro first.
Then if your taste changes, you can try using it in your cooking.
But use care. See my above post. Don't make the same mistake I did.

For me, cilantro finishes a dish and I rarely will use it when cooking. I like to use it as garnish as long as its paired with the correct food.

Last edited:
I would suggest the opposite ;) I saw Bobby Flay do a cooking demonstration once; one thing he made was a seafood ceviche and he talked about making salsas. He said cilantro needs friends :LOL: It's not that great by itself but when you mix it with compatible ingredients, it can make a dish sing. I'd add a bit at a time and see how much you like.

I would suggest the opposite ;) I saw Bobby Flay do a cooking demonstration once; one thing he made was a seafood ceviche and he talked about making salsas. He said cilantro needs friends :LOL: It's not that great by itself but when you mix it with compatible ingredients, it can make a dish sing. I'd add a bit at a time and see how much you like.
Sounds like a plan. I have had cilantro in uncooked salsa and I hate it. But, as mentioned before, I know I have had it in Indian food and it was just part of the choir of herbs and spices and didn't sing off key. ;)

Are you looking for chicken tikka or chicken tikka masala?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I think cilantro in Indian food is one of those things that you don't notice it when it's there but you do if it isn't.

I love it but it's a "Marmite" thing. You love it or hate it and there's no middle ground.

Bother, just had a text from the vet. She'd coming to do Horse's vaccinations and give his teeth their annual check up so I've got to dash off and "supervise". Back soon.

Correction: just had another text from vet that she's been called to an emergency and isn't on her way to Horse! (sigh!)

Last edited:
Are you looking for chicken tikka or chicken tikka masala?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Ah, chicken tikka masala that great dish said to originate (variously) in those famous Indian towns of Birmingham, Glasgow and Newcastle. I'm not being sarcastic. I like it if it isn't too "hot".

Balti is another "authentic" Indian style of cooking invented in the UK. I expect they are getting their own back for all those years of British colonisation! :)

Balti is another "authentic" Indian style of cooking invented in the UK. I expect they are getting their own back for all those years of British colonisation! :)
Back when I used to travel regularly to England on business, one of my favorite places to eat was a Balti restaurant. I had to ask a UK colleague what defined "Balti", because it's virtually unheard of in the US. His explanation was that it's defined by the type of vessel the food is cooked in, which is a serving-sized metal kadai (sometimes spelled "karahi"). But it seems to have a completely different spice profile than I've tasted in other Indian dishes. And more tomato.

My comparison would be American vs. Italian Pizza. The dish was obviously invented in Italy, but the Italians in the US have turned it into something much more than the simple Italian flatbread pizzas you get in Naples. I suspect the Indians and Pakistanis around Birmingham have created a similar concept with the Balti style in that area.

Regardless, I just love the stuff. I'd like to find a cookbook and make it at home. I already own a kadai. :)

The Serious Eats recipe looks very good. One question ... can I use boneless breasts or thighs? I am getting more comfortable on the grill without DH but bone in chicken scares me just a little. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom