MEATER Thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I have been looking at truly wireless. Where the probe has no cable. You insert it and it reads out to your phone.
Anyone have one? Any good? Suggestions appreciated.

That's what this whole thread is about. The OP was just about the Meater brand, but it could be expanded to other brands.

CD

I did that and I had to replace the cable. I use the Dot on a Weber kettle. I found I can thread the cable through the top vent but then you have to be careful about removing the lid.

My current pellet smoker has a special hole for the two probes that plug into the controller.

On my weber, I've run a cable through the top vent, and I have run it under the lid. I've not damaged my cable either way. Removing the lid with the cable running through the top ten just requires having a convenient place to set the lid close to the kettle.

CD

Ordinary burners just keep pumping heat. They don't take into consideration the size, shape, or materials that the pot is made of. They don't take into consideration what and how much is in the pot. All of those things will affect how fast and how hot something will get with a steady amount of heat energy going into the pot. A thermometer can tell how hot the food is getting.

In the case of that burner from my childhood home, it had thermometer in the centre of the burner that detected how hot the pot was, which is related to how hot the food it is. There was one of those burners in my 7th grade home ec class kitchen. The teacher demonstrated by putting a pot on the burner and turning it on. Then, when the gas flames had gotten small, she tossed some ice cubes into the pot. The flames immediately got bigger.
Would a burner adjusting to heat based on ideal preferences be something you're looking for? For example, let's say you have a thermometer that measures current temperature, as well as maybe some other setting for your ideal temperature, and once the measurement reaches the current temperature, the burner does some heat calculation or whatever to ensure that the food stays at the current temperature.

I personally think that would be kind of cool since that means (maybe) you can kinda walk away (setup a table or something) once you know your food is going to be done, and your burner won't mess up what you got.

. . . Removing the lid with the cable running through the top ten just requires having a convenient place to set the lid close to the kettle.

CD
There is a hook on the underside of the lid on my Weber that fits over the edge of the bowl to hold the lid.

Would a burner adjusting to heat based on ideal preferences be something you're looking for? For example, let's say you have a thermometer that measures current temperature, as well as maybe some other setting for your ideal temperature, and once the measurement reaches the current temperature, the burner does some heat calculation or whatever to ensure that the food stays at the current temperature.

I personally think that would be kind of cool since that means (maybe) you can kinda walk away (setup a table or something) once you know your food is going to be done, and your burner won't mess up what you got.
Yeah, that's what I was originally getting at. I'm saddened that the technology that was built into a house built in the late 1950s doesn't seem to be available now.

Maybe it's available with induction. Having a probe in the food would make it a smidgen easier, but probes seem to break (invisibly) far too easily.

Yeah, that's what I was originally getting at. I'm saddened that the technology that was built into a house built in the late 1950s doesn't seem to be available now.

Maybe it's available with induction. Having a probe in the food would make it a smidgen easier, but probes seem to break (invisibly) far too easily.

Some induction burners have a sous vide function, which would do what you are talking about. I saw one tested on a YouTube cooking show, and you just put a pot of water on the burner, set a temperature, and the one they tested kept a really accurate temperature in the water -- IIRC, within one degree plus or minus.

Here is a brief video of the induction burner/hob that I saw reviewed...

CD

Last edited:
Some induction burners have a sous vide function, which would do what you are talking about. I saw one tested on a YouTube cooking show, and you just put a pot of water on the burner, set a temperature, and the one they tested kept a really accurate temperature in the water -- IIRC, within one degree plus or minus.

Here is a brief video of the induction burner/hob that I saw reviewed...

CD
That is really nifty. I checked the comments on YouTube and it seems that other people had similar concerns to me. "Can you set the temperature without using the app?" Yeah, if I have to tell it what I'm cooking, rather than letting me choose the temperature, I would not want it. Watching the video actually somewhat aggravated me. But, a couple of people answered, "Yes" about setting temps without the app. I did a quick search to try to price it, but didn't find a price. I might have a more thorough look later.

the temp self-maintaining gas burner were problematic - from an operational point and safety point.... being 'pre-electronic everything' it required a sensor to mechanically operate/adjust the gas flow that could be 'adjusted' for temperature . . .

there are electric & induction units with a 'button sensor' for temp control . . . from my (admittedly disinterested reading . . . ) their effectiveness and accuracy is not especially stellar.

That is really nifty. I checked the comments on YouTube and it seems that other people had similar concerns to me. "Can you set the temperature without using the app?" Yeah, if I have to tell it what I'm cooking, rather than letting me choose the temperature, I would not want it. Watching the video actually somewhat aggravated me. But, a couple of people answered, "Yes" about setting temps without the app. I did a quick search to try to price it, but didn't find a price. I might have a more thorough look later.

I believe it is a British product, so it may not be available here. There are other brands that also have a sous vide setting, and also let you choose an exact burner temperature.

CD

I believe it is a British product, so it may not be available here. There are other brands that also have a sous vide setting, and also let you choose an exact burner temperature.

CD

Just checked, and the Tokit "hob" sells for 119-pounds in the UK.

CD

Just checked, and the Tokit "hob" sells for 119-pounds in the UK.

CD
I went hunting for Tokit too. I found their "global site". It was just Europe. Prices were Euros. Shipping was only to a list of countries that use Euros. At least I think that's how it works.

I thought that was the problem that we are trying to avoid. That's something that can break the probe cable.
I've used the cables from inside my oven and from inside the Grill. The oven is usually buffered by the fibreglass cord seals but the Grill is not. But, that being said, I never had a problem with it. Just don't slam the lid down! That twisted wire is pretty strong.

I did that and I had to replace the cable. I use the Dot on a Weber kettle. I found I can thread the cable through the top vent but then you have to be careful about removing the lid.
The cable you had to replace, was it visibly broken or just didn't work right afterwards and maybe bent?

I thought that was the problem that we are trying to avoid. That's something that can break the probe cable.
My thought as well. But I see it done all the time. Maybe because they are on TV and they couldn't care less. They might just get free replacement cables.......lol
I've used the cables from inside my oven and from inside the Grill. The oven is usually buffered by the fibreglass cord seals but the Grill is not. But, that being said, I never had a problem with it. Just don't slam the lid down! That twisted wire is pretty strong.
True. No concern inside. And yesterday I read more about this and most all agreed it's not an issue. But common sense says it can damage the cable.
I think the bigger question is why do companies like Weber not manufacture the kettles with a slot/hole for the cable?
My Weber gas grill has plenty places to lay the cable so as not to allow the lid to rest on it. Like the hole for the rotisserie. And the lid is not completely sealed on it either.

Plus many/most gas grills also have a hole to insert a match from the sides instead of leaning over and singeing eyebrows and knuckles ...

because, as we all know those click starters are the first things to go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom