My Instant Pot® Experience So Far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the question - whether the IP maintains a rolling boil for the entire time it needs to. Apparently it cycles up and down, so some models can maintain it and some can't. This method has not been tested by the USDA, so they don't recommend it, but some people use it anyway, relying on their own experience and judgment.

This is certainly true.
and I believe that answers the question! Thanks GG!

But now I've thought of a further question. If an IP (as a pressure cooker) can maintain a specific pressure for at least 10 minutes (or more?) I can't believe the temperature drop would be so great in the small time it took to recycle back on .... gads, not even sure what my question is now.... :bounce::w00t2: :shock: :blink:

IMG_3467.JPG

The best Bone Broth I think I've ever made! Look at that color will ya!!!
I had the remainders of a Costco Rotisserie Chicken (about half the bird) that I had picked all of the meat off of and wanted to make Stock with the carcass, but I didn't have enough time to "baby sit" the pot on the stove... :idea:
What about using the IP?
Looked it up on the WWW and yupper!!
Used my own formula, chucked it all into the liner, set that puppy on high for 120 minutes ... from start to finish, three hours, that's all.
I plan on making Chicken Pot Pie with that picked meat and about 3-4 cups worth of stock for the Gravy... DH is very excited!
"When are you going to make that? You haven't made that in a LONG time!"
If I have time tomorrow, I'll put together 4 individual Pot Pies, rather than a large Pie that winds up getting wasted ... the crust will go soggy quickly...

This is the question - whether the IP maintains a rolling boil for the entire time it needs to. Apparently it cycles up and down, so some models can maintain it and some can't. This method has not been tested by the USDA, so they don't recommend it, but some people use it anyway, relying on their own experience and judgment.

This is certainly true.
If you use the STEAM rather than pressure cook setting it will not cycle up and down. It’s high heat, high pressure.

The IP still has to cycle the heat on and off, using STEAM, otherwise, the pressure would get too high. The steam doesn't just release, to stay at the proper pressure, like with the old fashioned PCs.

So my first experience with IP was just as the op said..... mostly failure....but sense I got one for my self!(was using someone else's) it's been nothing but amazing! Although certain foods need to be cooked in the way it was designed for...so ! Not every thing you cook in it will be perfect....but it does what it's supposed to

Back
Top Bottom