Need coffee grinder recommendation(s)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyItsSara

Sous Chef
Hi all.

DD moved out and took her coffee grinder with her. What should I get for us that's easy to use and easy to clean?

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for responding. Beans from Trader Joe for either a French Press or pour over.

I can't give you any brand names, but if the pour over coffee uses a filter, then a "whirly blade" grinder is fine. I prefer the kind of grinder where you set the coarseness for French press coffee. Using a whirly blade grinder for that will give you a grind that is too coarse or leaves you with a lot of very tiny pieces that will go through the screen of the press and end up in your coffee cup.

Are you going to want to be able to use it for grinding spices too? There are some whirly blade grinders that come apart enough to wash the bowl and blade in the sink.

I have a Bodum burr coffee grinder (the kind where you can tell it what grind you want). I don't use it because, the burr got stuck and I can't remove it anymore. It was easy to use and easy to clean before that happened. I won't recommend it unless you can buy it somewhere that will replace or repair it for free if that happens. One of these days I will get around to bringing it to a repair place.

I don't think I'll be grinding any spices. Just coffee. I think I'd grind a bag at a time but if I have my own grinder, maybe I won't? Not sure. I'm not that much of a fancy coffee drinker that it has to be that fresh.

I don't think I'll be grinding any spices. Just coffee. I think I'd grind a bag at a time but if I have my own grinder, maybe I won't? Not sure. I'm not that much of a fancy coffee drinker that it has to be that fresh.
I don't recommend grinding an entire bag at a time. A friend had a decent burr grinder and used it to grind as much coffee as she needed for the current pot. A friend stayed with her and ground an entire bag of coffee beans. Or rather, meant to grind an entire entire bag of coffee. Part way through the attempt to grind an entire bag of beans, the motor overheated and the grinder was dead. I imagine stopping once it started to get hot might have saved the grinder.

Is there a reason you don't just buy ground coffee? I keep ground coffee in the freezer and just scoop out what I need when I need it. I don't bother defrosting it. That works well enough for us. Honestly, we don't notice the difference and we always used to grind coffee before brewing it. You do miss that wonderful aroma that the freshly ground beans give off.

I mostly buy what's new at Trader Joe. I hate to limit myself to just already ground coffee.
Makes sense. I was thinking of buying coffee in places where you can choose the coffee and then grind it in store or have them do it for you. We don't have Trader Joe in Canada.

BTW, you can grind frozen beans with no problem. If fact, they make slightly less mess that way, especially if you are grinding darker, oilier beans.

It's complicated but if your looking for something like a spice grinder for coffee then something like a Krup's should be fine and they're dirt cheap. Personally I use a burr grinder which has basically 2 opposing grinding surfaces that are adjustable for the grind size. You could save money though, by not going down the espresso rabbit whole that leads you to the 800.00 burr grinders lol :censored:

It's complicated but if your looking for something like a spice grinder for coffee then something like a Krup's should be fine and they're dirt cheap. Personally I use a burr grinder which has basically 2 opposing grinding surfaces that are adjustable for the grind size. You could save money though, by not going down the espresso rabbit whole that leads you to the 800.00 burr grinders lol :censored:
Or, that rabbit hole could lead you to the $2,000 and up espresso machines with built in coffee grinder.

i have a Cuisinart all-in-one grinder and brewer. It's my second - each one lasted about 10 years. They were about $100. WHen this one dies, I will get another.

Hi all.

DD moved out and took her coffee grinder with her. What should I get for us that's easy to use and easy to clean?

Thanks.
I use this one, the bowl is taken out and can be washed with the dishes. It grinds wet or dry. It's great to make less than 1 cup of a sauce. It grinds nuts to make nut butters and dry vegetables to make powder. It has two removable bowls. I grind about a quart of coffee beans and freeze them before and after grinding, and use a small amount if I make coffee. I can grind a whole lb of flax and a lb of chia seeds and it doesn't get very warm. I wouldn't grind with it and get it very hot, I think that ruins some small appliances.
If you want two bowls $41: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079PMWD1B/
If you want just one bowl $29:
I wouldn't expect either of these to last more than 2 years and that's been my experience but I use it a lot, almost daily.

i have a Cuisinart all-in-one grinder and brewer. It's my second - each one lasted about 10 years. They were about $100. WHen this one dies, I will get another.
Well, that's a good endorsement. I usually don't want a fancy coffeemaker because, in my experience, they don't last as long as the more basic ones. I am taking note of this one. If and when my current, very basic drip coffee maker, dies, I will look for one of these.

I have a Baratza Sette 270Wi for my espresso. It is a good grinder at the price point and I have been pretty happy with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom