Orzo - what do YOU make with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
I am on a "use what you have" kick. Well, I have a few bags of orzo. I am looking for cheap-ish recipes that are fresh tasting - starting to move away from the root vegetable / stew phase of the winter..

I do make a ginger beef with lime dish and throw it on top of orzo, and it's tasty.. looking for something different! I do however love citrus flavors, or fresh flavors with orzo!

What do you use orzo for?

i love braised lamb shanks over orzo.

or oxtails over orzo, also.

Last edited:
You can actually make a risotto type of dish with orzo. Make it the same way you would make risotto, using orzo in place of rice.

Mmm, lamb with orzo.. I wish lamb here wasn't so expensive. I have never actually cooked it myself, but I have eaten amazing chops cooked by my brother in law!

Never had an ox tail... I'm squeamish... Not even sure if we can get those here lol.

Andy, doesn't the orzo get mushy? I would have to be really careful not to overcook! Great idea !

Here's a recipe. It shouldn't get mushy. Just keep testing as you stir in the broth. OF course, you can modify the add ins.

Orzotto (Orzo prepared like risotto)

3 C Chicken Stock
2 Tb Olive Oil
1 Ea Shallot, minced
1 C Orzo

½ C White Wine
TT Salt and Pepper

2 Tb Butter
⅓ C Parmesan Cheese

Heat the stock to a simmer and maintain at that temperature during the cooking process.

In a saucepan, heat the oil and add the orzo and shallot and stir to coat with the oil. Cook for a few minutes over medium heat until the orzo browns.

Add the wine and reduce until almost dry.

Add a ladleful of the stock and stir frequently while boiling gently.

When the stock is almost absorbed, add another ladleful and continue to cook, stirring frequently.

Continue adding the stock and cooking for about 20 to 25 minutes.

When the orzo is tender and creamy, season to taste with salt and pepper and add the butter and the cheese.

Mix in and serve.

An orzo dish I make often is with sauteed garlic, chopped roasted or fresh red bell pepper, sliced black olives, and spices, tossed with feta cheese or soft goat cheese.

OK, all three of you (Andy, Kayelle, and Merstar) have won my heart - splitting it into three now...

*poke prod dice*

Annnd tenderizing... *bam bam bam*

Oommffffff.

Whew. OK. Merstar, soft goat cheese and pasta, holy cow, and olives, oh my, I want!!!! Def. going to try that one!! I love red pepper so much.. unfortunately it's about $3 for a pepper after you weigh it.. so expensive :( Maybe this summer... sounds like a good dish to eat chilled!

Andy, that's pretty much how I make my brown rice risotto - thanks for the recipe! I will try the same methods with the orzo (browning, etc)

Kayelle, that recipe sounds really good! It is so easy too, great for a weeknight..

totally trying all of these... thank you!!!

Last edited:
The old italian girls in my area use it to make a great fruit salad.

Google orzo fruit salad.

This is called a salad but, it can be a nice finish to a meal.

I would make some of it into a savory salad. Chopped tomatoes, cukes, green onions or chives. Maybe some nuts and feta, parm, or other salty cheese crumbles. Olive oil, and lemon juice or vinegar. Lots of your favorite fresh herbs. If you want it to be a main dish instead of just a side, some chopped meat or garbanzo beans.

Orzo can also be added to bread dressings, after it's cooked.

I like to make a roast on the grill, over a drip pan. When the roast is done, use the Au Jus to flavor the orzo, not like a gravy, but in it's liquid form. You can thicken it lightly with a cornstarch slurry. A the same time, grill some portabella mushrooms, dice, and add to the cooked orzo along with diced and sweated onions. Serve in place of rice.

Orzo is great in a salad with avacado, lime, diced fresh tomato, and a bit of cilantro. Throw in some grilled and cubed chicken or beef if you want and serve cold.

Just a couple more ideas for you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i use it instead of rice in stuff peppers, make pasta salad with it, soups - love shrimp scampi over cooked orzo, greek salad using orzo and fresh spinach, feta, cucumbers, olives, red onion, lots of other ideas

Creamy Orzo « I haven't tried this yet but going to this weekend

Orzo-Stuffed Peppers | Handle the Heat This were great, next time i make them going to put some ground It sauage in them

here is alot more ideas for orzo
http://foodgawker.com/?s=orzo&cat=0

Last edited:
I use it like rice. I add it to soup, stuff peppers with it, and eat it with garlic, butter, salt, pepper and parmasean cheese for lunch.

Orzo is one of my favorite pastas because it's so versatile.

Three of my favorite ways of using it is to toss with butter, chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley, freshly ground black pepper, & freshly grated parmesan cheese for a light Italian side; or tossed with cooked chopped spinach & crumbled feta cheese for a little Greek twist (makes a complete meal with some olive-oil-sauteed shrimp on top); & finally, folded into chopped sauteed mushrooms &/or simply drizzled with a little white truffle oil. Goes very nicely next to roasted poultry.

I had it for lunch with butter, grated cheese, garlic, fresh jalapeno peppers, salt and pepper. A friend who is a chef told me to freeze my "noodle" soups without the pasta and to toss orzo in when heating the soup...the pasta would be done when the soup was ready. I actually put a ziplock of orzo on top of the container so that I have orzo and remember to pop it in the pot.

Great idea CSW, I tend to add my orzo to a big pot of soup and as we eat it over the next couple of days, the orzo soaks up all the liquid and ends up being more of a stew.. lol

Back
Top Bottom