Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys completely lost me... how is it that a rectangular sheet needs directions to fit on a rectangular box/mattress?

Also Kgirl are you talking about sheets that you've had for a while? or brand new?

I'm frustrated that a lot of "fitted" sheets are for newer type mattresses that have "pillow tops" so the corners are 12 or 14" deep. Making them far too big for my old regular mattress. I have to practically take it apart and re-make the bed every morning to get the sheet taut.

You guys completely lost me... how is it that a rectangular sheet needs directions to fit on a rectangular box/mattress?

Also Kgirl are you talking about sheets that you've had for a while? or brand new?

I'm frustrated that a lot of "fitted" sheets are for newer type mattresses that have "pillow tops" so the corners are 12 or 14" deep. Making them far too big for my old regular mattress. I have to practically take it apart and re-make the bed every morning to get the sheet taut.
I always buy the deep fitted sheets because they stay put. I sleep in a double bed despite being single and I tend to thresh around a lot in my sleep. The normal depth fitted sheets are often in a crumpled mess in the middle of the bed by morning. I find that the deep ones are much better at staying in place. I use the ones that are elasticated all round rather than the ones with just elasticated corners.

Distasteful adverts

There's a pop-up advert which keeps appearing on this site. It's for a small "attack alarm" and the advert gives an in-depth description of the murder of a girl who met a grizzly end because she didn't buy one of those alarms - yes, THAT explicit. Not satisfied with that the advert then goes on to quote what is supposed to be an interview with her distressed family.

It is all carefully designed to make the reader believe that the scenario is true. It may or may not be a genuinely true story but it's distasteful and could be frightening to impressionable people reading it. Under UK law on advertising it would be illegal

I keep deleting it and I've made several complaints but have received no acknowledgement and all that seems to have happened is to make it appear more often with multiply copies of the ad on screen at once.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
There's a pop-up advert which keeps appearing on this site. It's for a small "attack alarm" and the advert gives an in-depth description of the murder of a girl who met a grizzly end because she didn't buy one of those alarms - yes, THAT explicit. Not satisfied with that the advert then goes on to quote what is supposed to be an interview with her distressed family.

It is all carefully designed to make the reader believe that the scenario is true. It may or may not be a genuinely true story but it's distasteful and could be frightening to impressionable people reading it. Under UK law on advertising it would be illegal

I keep deleting it and I've made several complaints but have received no acknowledgement and all that seems to have happened is to make it appear more often with multiply copies of the ad on screen at once.

Suggestions?

No idea what system you use but, I am a fan of Adblock.. I get no ads on any site unless a site will not give information if someone uses an adblocker. In that case, I find another site for information I want/need..

https://adblockplus.org/

Ross

I suppose it's a vanity thing, not wanting to stick something in your ear when you can make others around you speak up louder and repeat themselves. I'm starting to get annoyed having to do that.
I know how irritating it is to others when one has to repeatedly ask them to repeat things. I have no hearing on one side (due to a fall from a horse). Unfortunately hearing aids don't help my particular problem and neither would surgery. I've had two hearing aids but the audiologist eventually told me that hearing aids were a waste of time in my case. Fortunately, I have 100% hearing in my other ear so I compensate by sitting or standing so the person speaking is on my "good" side.

My hearing aids were free at the point of need. I'd paid my (very small) compulsory NHS contributions out of salary for all my working life but even if I hadn't been in work for part or all of my adult life I still wouldn't have to pay for essential medical care. There is no limit to care that we need for illness or injury (non-essential cosmetic face-lifts and breast-improvement, etc., do not count as illness under the scheme although skin grafts, etc., after accidents or breast reduction in cases where the weight is causing other physical problems, are allowed).The NHS may have it's faults but no-one in the UK dies because they can't afford medical attention.

No idea what system you use but, I am a fan of Adblock.. I get no ads on any site unless a site will not give information if someone uses an adblocker. In that case, I find another site for information I want/need..

https://adblockplus.org/

Ross
Thanks, Ross, but that's just pushing it out of my sight. This ad in this format needs zapping completely or re-writing in a less threatening style eg "This item might help if you are feeling threatened" not "You will be murdered if you don't buy this!"

I remember going to a women's safety meeting lead by a police woman. Among the good practical advice she gave if you were in danger of having you handbag snatched or in danger of being attacked, was the advice not to shout "Help" but to shout "Fire" on the principle that people will hide behind the couch rather than answer a cry for help but most people will respond to the possibility of a bit of excitement if the cry is "Fire". Fort-unately, I've never had to put this to the test but it to seems to make sense.

LOL. That can be frustrating...
We, recently set up 2 bedrooms... All the sets of sheets we bought have a "Top or Bottom" label on the fitted bottom sheets.. Sure makes it easier to make the beds...Ross

That's interesting. All the sheet sets we've purchased consist of a fitted sheet and a flat sheet. The fitted sheet goes on the mattress. There's only one way it will fit (both ends are the same) unless you put it on inside out. Then the flat sheet goes on.

That's interesting. All the sheet sets we've purchased consist of a fitted sheet and a flat sheet. The fitted sheet goes on the mattress. There's only one way it will fit (both ends are the same) unless you put it on inside out. Then the flat sheet goes on.

I've been pretty confused by this whole thing, too :wacko: Looking at the seams should tell you which side of the fitted sheet is the top and which is the bottom.

After thinking about this for a bit, I think I get it. :LOL: Sometimes while making the bed after the sheets have been washed, I've tucked a corner of the fitted sheet on the wrong corner of the mattress and by the time I get to the other corner, it's clear to see that I have the fitted sheet wrong and have to flip it. :LOL: The brand of sheets I buy has a spandex panel that's only on the head and foot area, so it's easier to tell which way it goes.

I have a full size pillowtop bed which is perfect since it's just me - I don't need a queen or king. I've tried lots of sheets over the years and LOVE Cannon brand. They're cotton, thick, no-pill, last a long time, and the fitted sheets have elastic all the way around. They have a depth of around 19" or so, so with the pillowtop factor, all around elastic and the depth, I don't break my back putting the fitted sheet on after they've been washed. There may be a little slack and not perfectly taut, but that's ok with me.
https://www.amazon.com/Cannon-Threa...&qid=1532809083&sr=8-3&keywords=cannon+sheets

Last edited:
Not sure if we talked about this before, but is has been under my skin lately.

When did sheets and blankets get shorter AND skinnier ?

I made our bed today with fresh sheets and they BARELY went over the King sized mattress that we have, let alone tucked in at the foot of the bed!

And don't get me started about the blankets too, they won't tuck in either and they're forever coming off the bed and going everywhere.

I remember as a kid being tucked in...everything would go under the mattress and you could hardly get out in the morning :LOL:

I should elaborate here.

What I meant was that the flat sheets, as well as blankets,
use to come over the sides of the mattress well enough to have you in the bed AND tuck them in.

Also, at the end of the bed, there was surplus flat sheet and blanket to tuck under and not come out, enough with the best night-time thrasher aka DH :LOL:

Last night, after making a fresh bed, my backside was getting chilly from the lack of coverage :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I obviously didn't express myself clearly.. Yes, a fitted sheet and a flat sheet per set.. The fitted sheets have a label at the short end which, by seeing it, makes us know immediately where to start..

Perhaps we are the only people to pick up a fitted sheet and hunt down the starting end.. In the past, I have started a corner, only to find that I was fitting the long side to the short side of the mattress.. :wacko:

Ross

After thinking about this for a bit, I think I get it. :LOL: Sometimes while making the bed after the sheets have been washed, I've tucked a corner of the fitted sheet on the wrong corner of the mattress and by the time I get to the other corner, it's clear to see that I have the fitted sheet wrong and have to flip it. :LOL: The brand of sheets I buy has a spandex panel that's only on the head and foot area, so it's easier to tell which way it goes.

I have a full size pillowtop bed which is perfect since it's just me - I don't need a queen or king. I've tried lots of sheets over the years and LOVE Cannon brand. They're cotton, thick, no-pill, last a long time, and the fitted sheets have elastic all the way around. They have a depth of around 19" or so, so with the pillowtop factor, all around elastic and the depth, I don't break my back putting the fitted sheet on after they've been washed. There may be a little slack and not perfectly taut, but that's ok with me.
https://www.amazon.com/Cannon-Threa...&qid=1532809083&sr=8-3&keywords=cannon+sheets

Exactly!!!.. That's what I meant to say.. :)

Ross

Yep, Ross! And when the elastic goes all the way around a fitted sheet, it's even harder to find the 'right' place to start. LOL.

Kgirl, I get what you mean about blankets. My daughter has mentioned the same thing - they have a CA King bed and like the blankets tucked in. I'm the opposite - I rarely use a blanket even in winter and when I do, I have to have it un-tucked in order to let my legs and arms 'breathe' during the night - the older I get, the more the heat bothers me. Even in winter I have the ceiling fan going. :huh:

I'm the same. I use a sheet all year. Has to be really cold for a blanket. AND I always have a fan on.

And with all these cats I don't need a blanket. LOL Not even on a 3 cat night!

:LOL: I was starting to 'multi-quote' but there were so many I gave up.

Yes, I too, have a set of fitted sheets that have the elastic all around. More often than not I start off doing it the wrong way.:rolleyes:

My top sheets are easy as they have the larger boarder and just looking at the seam tells you which side should be up. Unless you have a set like my daughter bought which was two designs. Then you just have to make a choice as to which design you want to mix and match.

But the best set I ever had I bought when I first moved here 12 years ago. I got it on sale from Sears and for a double size bed, even then it was a hefty 90$ (at least for me anyhow!) But it was also Egyptian Cotton 800 thread count.
I've never found any again and they finally wore completely through in spots. I loved them so much I was still using them and just tried not to put my foot through. My daughter visited and that was the end of that! How did I raise such a bossy brat?

I've been looking and although I've found 800 Thread count in Egyptian Cotton they have all been Queen and King. I have a double!!- it is the only size bed I could get up the narrow stairs in this 200 year old house!

...the flat sheets, as well as blankets,
use to come over the sides of the mattress well enough to have you in the bed AND tuck them in.

Also, at the end of the bed, there was surplus flat sheet and blanket to tuck under and not come out...
I know exactly what you mean! We bought our first king sized bed in 1977. I still have two top sheets from the original sets - and one is in regular rotation right now. The old sheets are so much bigger than the top sheet from the newest set. Now they make sheets smaller and cheaper. No way you'd get 40 years from a sheet these days!

I suppose in the case of double (full) or queen beds, one could buy separate top and bottom sheets. Then you could always buy the next size up for the top sheet - and the blanket, too.

A double bed in Sweden is 2x90, so a 180 cm bed and I love it, IKEA bed of course and I still have fitted sheets from 25 years back.. sadly no older due to my ex husband.

Grr, we found out at 2:00 AM that we had no water in the house. Yes, we've paid our most recent bill! :LOL: Stopped by the town hall police station on our way back from a water run to the 24-hour grocery. They had been calling people in the water department since the first report this morning. Still no water. I'm going to miss my shower tonight...:cry:

All this talk about sheets reminded me of that old tongue twister. Dare I type it? It’s quite innocent g-rated. Well maybe PG-13, as there’s a small amount of violence in it:
I slit a sheet, a sheet I slit; I sit upon a slitted sheet.

Juvenile, I know, but still funny sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom