Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grr, we found out at 2:00 AM that we had no water in the house. Yes, we've paid our most recent bill! :LOL: Stopped by the town hall police station on our way back from a water run to the 24-hour grocery. They had been calling people in the water department since the first report this morning. Still no water. I'm going to miss my shower tonight...:cry:
Oh dear! Hope you have some reserves? Has anyone made an announcement as to when it will be over?

Here's a hint about fitted bottom sheets.
I always start at the left hand top corner of the bed. That's the pocket where I have previously placed a safety pin to mark it from the first correct fitting. If you always start at the top left corner, they'll never be wrong.

Last edited:
It bugs me that the only place I have found that sells fitted sheets not in a set is IKEA. We don't use top sheets. We use duvets with duvet covers. I keep thinking that I should make extra pillow cases or duvet covers out of them, but I have never gotten around to that project. [emoji102] (that is the closest I could find to an eye roll emoji.)

Oh dear! Hope you have some reserves? Has anyone made an announcement as to when it will be over?
We always have a sealed gallon of "spring water" in the basement for just in case. And considering this issue was just discovered in the wee hours of Sunday morning, I really wasn't expecting any kind of announcement until later in the morning. Himself and I ended up hitting the sack about 5:00 AM. Each time I woke during the night I'd check the town's Facebook postings for updates. When I got up around noon, a neighbor at the top (literally, he is uphill from us) of our street had posted about half an hour earlier that they had water again. So, we pretty much slept through the entire episode. :LOL: Worked for us!

Grr, we found out at 2:00 AM that we had no water in the house. Yes, we've paid our most recent bill! :LOL: Stopped by the town hall police station on our way back from a water run to the 24-hour grocery. They had been calling people in the water department since the first report this morning. Still no water. I'm going to miss my shower tonight...:cry:

And what were you two kids doing up AND out at 2 o'clock in the morning, HMMMMMM ? with my eyebrow arched as high as it'll go ...
:LOL:

It bugs me that the only place I have found that sells fitted sheets not in a set is IKEA. We don't use top sheets. We use duvets with duvet covers. I keep thinking that I should make extra pillow cases or duvet covers out of them, but I have never gotten around to that project. [emoji102] (that is the closest I could find to an eye roll emoji.)

Here ya go Taxi. I love percale sheets from the Company Store and they sell individual fitted sheets..
Classic Percale Solid Fitted Sheets - The Company Store

I've always been a fan of Duvets since first meeting them in Germany back in the 50's. I flnd them warm in winter and actually pretty cool in summer. The duvet is in a slipcover but there were still always top sheets.

I've always been a fan of Duvets since first meeting them in Germany back in the 50's. I flnd them warm in winter and actually pretty cool in summer. The duvet is in a slipcover but there were still always top sheets.
I have met Canadians who put a top sheet with a duvet, but I never saw that in Denmark. One person did it because he only had one duvet cover and didn't want to get it dirty. I am used to changing the duvet covers when I change the sheet and pillow cases.

Give me a nice, heavy kakebuton everytime, although duvets are a good substitute.

And what were you two kids doing up AND out at 2 o'clock in the morning, HMMMMMM ? with my eyebrow arched as high as it'll go ...
:LOL:
Well, since we're basically on "Hawaiian Time", we ran to the all night grocery store to get gallon bottles of water. Had to beat the morning rush of all the early birds around here. Had we known they would find and fix the leak by the time we got up, we could have made due with the one emergency gallon of water I always have in the basement.

We closed the bars and drove home slowly so that a cop didn't stop us. :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

Let me make this clear: We NEVER drink and drive. That is just plain stoopid.

Last edited:
We are two sleepers who absolutely must have a top sheet no matter what is on top of it.

On our travels outside of the USA, it's common for the beds to only have a duvet and they often don't know what I'm talking about requesting a top sheet. If we're too hot under a duvet, we want to use the top sheet for a cover. Seems reasonable to me, but I've gotten really frustrated so many times trying to explain it to housekeeping out of the country. The kicker is when they give us a fitted sheet to use because they don't have any flat ones. Grrrr.

Last edited:
We are two sleepers who absolutely must have a top sheet no matter what is on top of it.

On our travels outside of the USA, it's common for the beds to only have a duvet and they often don't know what I'm talking about requesting a top sheet. If we're too hot under a duvet, we want to use the top sheet for a cover. Seems reasonable to me, but I've gotten really frustrated so many times trying to explain it to housekeeping out of the country. The kicker is when they give us a fitted sheet to use because they don't have any flat ones. Grrrr.
Instead of asking for a top sheet, what about asking for extra duvet covers? I find an empty duvet cover works really well when it's too warm.

We're two-sheet people in our house, too. Our problem has been I'm a "top sheet MUST be tucked in so that the Toe Monster can't get me" person while Himself is a "Toes Free, as free as the wind blows" kind of guy. When we shared the king bed, I would set it and that top sheet was tucked good. As long as Himself didn't kick my side out when he'd start to wiggle his side free, I was OK with that.

Since our "Sleep Divorce", we can each have our sheets as we like, the room as dark or cold or quiet as we like, and wake up feeling better than all those years we shared that king sized bed. It started slowly, with me moving to the guest bed when his back was bothering him and every move I made in bed hurt him - at least when he was in bed and not laying on the living room floor. Back I went after the back surgery, but wandered down the hall when he broke his collar bone. Back to our shared bed when that healed, then back on to the futon in the den since SIL was visiting from FL right after he broke his other collar bone. That's when I found out I wasn't experiencing charlie horses in my legs when I was on the futon. Honestly, I can't remember the last time we slept together. At least we haven't resorted to adjoining hotel rooms when we travel. :LOL:

As a side note, every gay couple I know (which is just a few, honestly) has separate bedrooms. It got to the point when I figured why should they have quality sleep nights, yet we were still doing the shared bed thing. Now as we age, though, I sometimes worry what would happen if one of us needed the other to call EMS right away...:ermm:

Too funny the differences! JustJoel, if I remember correctly, quality kakebuton's are stuffed with a fluff of silk? - or something like that. Duvet's are stuffed with down feathers. Spoke with my sister last night and she remembers same as I, Holland as well as Norway, duvet's had top sheets. Neither of us remember what they were like in France or Spain but then I remembered we were camping in Spain, not using hotels! :LOL: Fast forward time travel to the here and now, as much as I would love, my budget doesn't run to down-filled, so polyester it is.

I use a duvet cover but, just so the bed looks nice in the daytime.. It comes off at night and I have just a top sheet and very light blanket, summer or winter.. Jeannie likes it a bit warmer, even in summer, so she uses top sheet, blanket(s) and a light quilt..

Separate bedrooms are perfect for us..

Ross

Well, since we're basically on "Hawaiian Time", we ran to the all night grocery store to get gallon bottles of water. Had to beat the morning rush of all the early birds around here. Had we known they would find and fix the leak by the time we got up, we could have made due with the one emergency gallon of water I always have in the basement.

We closed the bars and drove home slowly so that a cop didn't stop us.
:ermm: :ROFLMAO:

Let me make this clear: We NEVER drink and drive. That is just plain stoopid.

Um... Up until we were in our early 40's my first wife and I did that more frequently than I like to admit.. :ermm: We were true party animals.. ;)

We grew up by the time we hit 40 and now I won't even have a beer if we are out to dinner and I'm driving.. :neutral:

Ross

Um... Up until we were in our early 40's my first wife and I did that more frequently than I like to admit.. :ermm: We were true party animals.. ;)

We grew up by the time we hit 40 and now I won't even have a beer if we are out to dinner and I'm driving.. :neutral:

Ross

That's true for many of us Ross.

Thankfully the social views of driving drunk began to change in 1980 with the dawn of MADD and continues saving lives today. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothers_Against_Drunk_Driving

Back
Top Bottom