Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got an email from eBay telling me the winner of my auction is a fraud. Gee, do ya' think? Grrrrr. :mad:

Ross, I've sold about 60 things on eBay over the years, and this is only the second one that was a problem. But, this was a pretty big one.

CD :(

“Tori” means CHICKEN!

I just saw a recipe online for “king trumpet yakitori.” King trumpet mushrooms skewered and grilled, with a teriyaki glaze. Looked kinda good actually, but the thing is this: THERE WAS NO CHICKEN. You can skewer and grill whatever you like, but if it doesn’t include chicken, IT’S NOT YAKITORI! That’s because “tori” MEANS chicken. Call it kushiyaki. Call it kebab! Anything but “yakitori!”

Interesting...

A Google search brought pages of "king trumpet yakitori" or "mushroom yakitori", none of which had chicken as an ingredient..

Many did refer to their recipe as vegetarian or vegan...

I'm unable to discover why yakitori should be referred to anything but grilled chicken..

Ross

I just saw a recipe online for “king trumpet yakitori.” King trumpet mushrooms skewered and grilled, with a teriyaki glaze. Looked kinda good actually, but the thing is this: THERE WAS NO CHICKEN. You can skewer and grill whatever you like, but if it doesn’t include chicken, IT’S NOT YAKITORI! That’s because “tori” MEANS chicken. Call it kushiyaki. Call it kebab! Anything but “yakitori!”

I guess 'skewered mushrooms' just doesn't have the same panache.

It's not uncommon for people to appropriate food names for their own purposes. The fact that they have no idea of the dish's origins or the actual meaning of the food name just makes it more amusing for the rest of us.

Well, I guess, if 'tuna' is the 'chicken' of the sea perhaps 'king trumpets' are the 'chicken' of mushrooms.

Perhaps they are trying to make "yakikinoko"

although my google translates it as "Kinoko no guriru"

or better as "Kushiyaki kinoko-yaki"

Gotta love it!

Well, technically, you're right. They should be called kushiyaki.
But "yakitori" has been so loosely and generically used it can refer to just about anything grilled on those little 4" bamboo skewers. Japanese yakitori joints should technically be called kushiyaki-ya to cover all bases. Also, yakitori-ya just sounds more appealing to me. :chef:

But "yakitori" has been so loosely and generically used it can refer to just about anything grilled on those little 4" bamboo skewers. Japanese yakitori joints should technically be called kushiyaki-ya to cover all bases. Also, yakitori-ya just sounds more appealing to me. :chef:

It is kind like chicken fajitas, or "chicken skirt steak." :rolleyes:

CD

When I lived in Osaka, yakitori stands pretty much served only chicken (and veggies). Izakaya and robata-ya had all sorts of kushiyaki and kushi-age, including chicken, and also usually vast assortments of little plates. And then there were restaurants that specialized solely in kushiyaki and kushiage. They were my favorite, as they offered an omakase course. The chef would just keep feeding you until you said “stop!” Then they’d count the sticks, and that’d be the price of your bill.

I have blood work in the morning. 8:00 frickin' AM, to be exact. The doctor wants a "morning" reading of what the level of my blood pressure medicine is. I argued my case, told him I'm a night owl, that I don't go to bed until 4:00 AM. Told him I take that pill right before going to bed, so when I get up around noon it's been in my system 8 hours. So "noon" IS morning in my little world. He didn't buy it. :LOL: I've been taking the pill around midnight for about a week so that at least IT is on schedule for an 8:00 AM blood draw. Going to be good and go to bed now - at least I'm two hours ahead of my schedule.

I have blood work in the morning. 8:00 frickin' AM, to be exact. The doctor wants a "morning" reading of what the level of my blood pressure medicine is. I argued my case, told him I'm a night owl, that I don't go to bed until 4:00 AM. Told him I take that pill right before going to bed, so when I get up around noon it's been in my system 8 hours. So "noon" IS morning in my little world. He didn't buy it. :LOL: I've been taking the pill around midnight for about a week so that at least IT is on schedule for an 8:00 AM blood draw. Going to be good and go to bed now - at least I'm two hours ahead of my schedule.

Drink about 5 cups of Dark Roast Coffee before your blood draw. Doctors need to learn that they work for us -- we don't work for them. It took me a good ten years to train my doctor.

CD :D

Drink about 5 cups of Dark Roast Coffee before your blood draw. Doctors need to learn that they work for us -- we don't work for them. It took me a good ten years to train my doctor.

CD :D

I too have finally found a doctor that listens to me. She really bends over backwards to do as I ask. And if that is not possible, I receive a believable and reasonable answer from her as to the reason why. Even my nurse listens to me. Medically, the best thing that ever happened to me was being transferred to Lewis Mall (LM) and away from Winthrop.

If my request is not feasible, a "we cannot/will not do that" is never said. They give me a sensible and reasonable answer.

BTW, while I was in the ER, I got a call on my cellphone from LM. Just to let me know someone was thinking of me and looking forward to seeing me next Monday for my regular weekly visit.

My next big adventure is getting my leg this coming week on Wednesday.

I try to make all my medical in town appointments in the afternoon. And I never make two in the same day. At my age, it does a number on me and leaves me exhausted. Takes me two full days to recover.

I personally think an eight a.m. appointment is was too early. Doesn't your doctor :wacko: have morning rounds at that hour he could be doing at a hospital far away?

I frequently take my step mother to the closest Lab Corp for her blood work. And depending on the time of day it could be anywhere from no waiting to upwards of close to an hour. Mornings are always busy with people who've fasted from the night before.
You also have an option of making an appointment as well, which we never make.

Back
Top Bottom