Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a tongue-in-cheek petty vent..

I shop Aldi's for most food items.. I'd prefer TJ's but, there ya go..

Last week I went to Aldi to replenish baking staples.. Found everything but corn starch.. Was going to stop @ Price Cutter for it but forgot..

Friday I went back to Aldi.. Nope, still no corn starch..

I hunted down a manager and asked about it.. I was told.. get this.. Corn starch is a "seasonal" item!!!

Seriously?? :wacko:

I'm having a Tee Shirt made with "Happy Corn Starch Season", on the front.. :LOL:

Ross
:huh:

The Sam's Club I frequent has been out of celery for the longest time. Next time I'll ask the produce guy there. I don't know if they're seasonal or not but all other supermarkets around here always have them.

Let's see. We could have some fun with this.

Summer is coming. Beach weather. Salt water. Does that make salt seasonal also?

This is a tongue-in-cheek petty vent..

I shop Aldi's for most food items.. I'd prefer TJ's but, there ya go..

Last week I went to Aldi to replenish baking staples.. Found everything but corn starch.. Was going to stop @ Price Cutter for it but forgot..

Friday I went back to Aldi.. Nope, still no corn starch..

I hunted down a manager and asked about it.. I was told.. get this.. Corn starch is a "seasonal" item!!!

Seriously?? :wacko:

I'm having a Tee Shirt made with "Happy Corn Starch Season", on the front.. :LOL:

Ross

I've never heard that about corn starch either, Ross. :wacko:
LOL at the TShirt idea, though! :LOL:

:LOL: The first thing a no nothing manager learns is "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS." Did you ask if they carry flour this time of year?;)

Hey Ross, you should have said, "How am I going to iron my shirts without corn starch?" Then watch the manager's eye's glaze over.

CD

The Sewing Machine and I

I don't know why I persist, but dangit, I'm going to get this window shade made yet!

So far, after Himself finally got my sewing machine working again, I have:

- Jammed the thread in the bobbin to the point I had to disassemble and reassemble the bobbin assembly.

- Managed to lay my two layers of fabric plus one layer of batting in the wrong arrangement. The result? The "filling" is on the outside of the shade, while the backing fabric ended up in the middle. :wacko: Why don't I just unstitch the thing and reassemble? Um, I had already trimmed the seams and there isn't enough fabric. Besides, I do not want to unstitch about 7 feet of machine stitching.

- After deciding to just finish it off even though the batting is on the outside of the thing (no one will see it), I kept breaking threads. Must have been a weak stretch in the spool of thread. Once I got past that point, things were working just fine...until I broke the needle. My last needle.

- When moving the machine back closer to the wall, the left rear leg fell clean out of the cabinet housing. :LOL: I just can't make this stuff up! Anyway, it was an easy fix for Himself, since nothing in the cabinet construction was broken. Now all four legs have freshly tightened screws holding all the legs in place firmly.

Can't cause anymore mayhem until at least Friday night. We plan on making a Jo-Ann Fabrics, etc run by then.

I don't know why I persist, but dangit, I'm going to get this window shade made yet!

So far, after Himself finally got my sewing machine working again, I have:

- Jammed the thread in the bobbin to the point I had to disassemble and reassemble the bobbin assembly.

- Managed to lay my two layers of fabric plus one layer of batting in the wrong arrangement. The result? The "filling" is on the outside of the shade, while the backing fabric ended up in the middle. :wacko: Why don't I just unstitch the thing and reassemble? Um, I had already trimmed the seams and there isn't enough fabric. Besides, I do not want to unstitch about 7 feet of machine stitching.

- After deciding to just finish it off even though the batting is on the outside of the thing (no one will see it), I kept breaking threads. Must have been a weak stretch in the spool of thread. Once I got past that point, things were working just fine...until I broke the needle. My last needle.

- When moving the machine back closer to the wall, the left rear leg fell clean out of the cabinet housing. :LOL: I just can't make this stuff up! Anyway, it was an easy fix for Himself, since nothing in the cabinet construction was broken. Now all four legs have freshly tightened screws holding all the legs in place firmly.

Can't cause anymore mayhem until at least Friday night. We plan on making a Jo-Ann Fabrics, etc run by then.

While you are at the fabric store, pick up one or two of these seam rippers, if you don't already own any. Really makes taking apart seams easy.

8pcs-set-thread-cutter-seam-ripper-stitch.jpg

taxy, I have a fine array of seam rippers. :LOL: I just don't like using the danged things. I swear when I did cross stitch I pulled out more "x"s than I put in! No one but me will see this thing, and the side I will look at is pretty. It will eventually be a throw-away anyway. At least I'm getting lots of practice troubleshooting problems before I work on anything important.

Sounds like you are using old thread, according to my seventh grade sewing teacher. We had to bring a spool of thread from home. Mine and several other kids had the same problem as I did. My thread kept breaking or tangling, etc. The teacher told us we needed NEW thread.

Sure enough, once I brought in a spool of brand spanking new thread, all my problems stopped.

For that leg that fell out, sounds like you could use Gorilla Glue .

Don't give up. I don't know if it just age related, but I now shake whenever I try to thread a needle. So I got a big bag of needle threaders and also bought self threading needles. Now I need to get back to my cross stitch embroidery. Thanks for reminding me.

Along with Addie's suggestion - here are two more hints about breaking thread.

When I took my machine in for a tune up I was told two things could do it -

cheap thread and the tension on the bobbin.

Not the tension usually found above, that should be done for various sewing things.

On my machine I can't adjust the lower tension for the bobbin plus I was told not to anyhow. I used to repair horse blankets for my boarders and was always putting it out of whack. Normally it should never really need it other than in an overhaul. LOL which I needed frequently.

Haven't done any sewing for a long time. I should get back to it - just as soon as I shovel off the garbage piled on top of the machine.

There was a time I sewed a lot.....(shirts for husband, clothes for the kids and me) and I can't imagine ever being able to do it without one of those seam rippers. Besides scissors, needles and thread they are the most important tool to own.

eBay has become a joke!!! How to get ripped off, 101.

I just sold camera on eBay -- actually, I thought I did. I got three emails from the "buyer." None of them were the buyer. The real buyer was also a fraud. They apparently make money off of stupid people.

"My dad had a stroke, so I'm moving to his house, can you ship the camera there instead of my listed address?" Um, no... you didn't win the auction, a--hole.

"I just deposited $1,060 into your PayPal account, please ship the camera FedEx overnight to this address." Um, no, a--hole. Did you think I wouldn't check to see if the money was in my PayPal account?

CD

eBay has become a joke!!! How to get ripped off, 101.

I just sold camera on eBay -- actually, I thought I did. I got three emails from the "buyer." None of them were the buyer. The real buyer was also a fraud. They apparently make money off of stupid people.

"My dad had a stroke, so I'm moving to his house, can you ship the camera there instead of my listed address?" Um, no... you didn't win the auction, a--hole.

"I just deposited $1,060 into your PayPal account, please ship the camera FedEx overnight to this address." Um, no, a--hole. Did you think I wouldn't check to see if the money was in my PayPal account?
CD

I know your answer is polite here in DC, and I hope you spelled it out for the a--hole in full. You were more polite than I would have been. You need to let ebay know about these a--holes and the scam they are trying to pull.

Over 20 years ago I was encouraged to bid on an item.. I won the bid, went through all the steps and found it to be a scam.. I contacted Ebay and was told there was nothing that could be done..

I know that people have great success buying on Ebay but, I never looked at them again..

Ross

Over 20 years ago I was encouraged to bid on an item.. I won the bid, went through all the steps and found it to be a scam.. I contacted Ebay and was told there was nothing that could be done..

I know that people have great success buying on Ebay but, I never looked at them again..

Ross

Letting the payment go through PayPal, at least they stand behind you. If it turns out to be a scam, you can get your money back. It has happened twice to Pirate and both times he was refunded by PayPal. PayPal has a list of scammers. They will notify you if they refuse payment because that particular seller is on their scammer list. Never deal though ebay alone. Remember the old adage: "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

Last edited:
Along with Addie's suggestion - here are two more hints about breaking thread.

When I took my machine in for a tune up I was told two things could do it -

cheap thread and the tension on the bobbin.

Not the tension usually found above, that should be done for various sewing things.

On my machine I can't adjust the lower tension for the bobbin plus I was told not to anyhow. I used to repair horse blankets for my boarders and was always putting it out of whack. Normally it should never really need it other than in an overhaul. LOL which I needed frequently.

Haven't done any sewing for a long time. I should get back to it - just as soon as I shovel off the garbage piled on top of the machine.
Hi, Dragonlaw.

"I used to repair horse blankets for my boarders" made me laugh.

I know what you mean but I was amused by the above sentence. Over here "boarders" can mean pupils in a boarding school (ie where the pupils live in at school during term time) or lodgers/paying guests in your house. I had a picture of your (human) lodgers being forced to sleep in the attic under smelly, hairy horse rugs!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

LOL - I can visualize sleeping under a horse blanket and scratching/itching all night - "horse hair shirt".

We 'kennel' a dog or cat but generally that too is referred to as boarding. So the animal is 'boarded' whereas the human 'owner' is the boarder

Here a horse could also be referred to as being 'stabled'. But the owner is not a stabler! In french it is - pension cheval and pensionnaire.

Come to think of it a few oowners could never be referred to as being stabler! but certainly neurotic & 'unstable' would fit the bill better. LOL

So what is the preferred term in Britain?

Back
Top Bottom