Pot Roast for Mark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I the only one here who's always made their chuck pot roast on top of the stove? :ermm: It must turn out OK - my Mom always said that my pot roast tasted so much better than hers. FWIW, I couldn't hold a candle to her stew...

Nope. I do mine on the stovetop, too. It's much easier to taste and adjust that way and we enjoy the aroma as it simmers for hours :yum:

It depends on the manufacturer, even for a dutch oven. Neither my (cheap) Lodge or my (not so cheap) Le Creuset have those ridges, or dimples. However, my (almost as expensive) Staub does have dimples, both in my 4-quart DO and my braiser.

Yes. Gravity will cause the condensation to fall back into the pot without help from a textured lid.

Am I the only one here who's always made their chuck pot roast on top of the stove? :ermm: It must turn out OK - my Mom always said that my pot roast tasted so much better than hers. FWIW, I couldn't hold a candle to her stew...

It depends on the manufacturer, even for a dutch oven. Neither my (cheap) Lodge or my (not so cheap) Le Creuset have those ridges, or dimples. However, my (almost as expensive) Staub does have dimples, both in my 4-quart DO and my braiser.

I always did my stew or pot roast in a dutch oven (I have several Lodge products that have the self basting spikes inside of the lid. PITA to clean but work great) slow braising for hours till tender. Now I do my stew or pot roast in my Instant Pot for 45 minutes to fork tender meat.

I braise in the oven with my CI DOs. I've done it on the cooktop, but just find it easier to set a constant temperature in the the oven, compared to my electric/ceramic cooktop. Same results, different methods. I still get plenty of aroma in the house.

My old Griswold DO has ridges on the underside of the lid. My le Crueset DOs do not. Memory error. Lid on still works. The ridges may help. I don't know, and don't care.

CD

Braising in the oven allows the heat to flow all the way around

It avoids burning.

I used to use the stovetop but never do now. The oven gets better results.

Braising in the oven allows the heat to flow all the way around

It avoids burning.

I used to use the stovetop but never do now. The oven gets better results.
I'm sure it's easier, but I like to fiddle with a braise while it's cooking. I stir it and turn the meat over (to promote cooking more evenly) and occasionally scrape the fond off the sides of the pot into the liquid. I get great results and it's fun, so this is how I roll :mrgreen:

I'm sure it's easier, but I like to fiddle with a braise while it's cooking. I stir it and turn the meat over (to promote cooking more evenly) and occasionally scrape the fond off the sides of the pot into the liquid. I get great results and it's fun, so this is how I roll :mrgreen:

^^ Me too.

+3 I did the same thing.
But the IP is easier for me now. I can't taste and adjust the seasoning like stove top :(. But it is easier and quicker.

I use my big heavy enameled DO and cook on top of the stove too, as good food needs to be tended to in my opinion. Tending to a pot in the oven isn't practical and back breaking.

I use my big heavy enameled DO and cook on top of the stove too, as good food needs to be tended to in my opinion. Tending to a pot in the oven isn't practical and back breaking.

In my opinion, one of the nice things about a pot roast is that it can be left alone for long stretches of time. I cook mine in the oven so the pot gets even heat to the bottom, top and sides and I don't have to fiddle with the burner.

I do that, too. Its not that hard to do it if its in the oven.

Open door, pull out rack. Take off lid. Tend to it. Replace lid. Slide rack back in, close door. Its not at all back breaking.

Last edited:
I do that, too. Its not that hard to do it if its in the oven.

Open door, pull out rack. Take off lid. Tend to it. Replace lid. Slide rack back in, close door. Its not at all back breaking.
As opposed to, take off lid, fiddle, replace lid, done [emoji2]

My gas stove maintains a fine, steady temperature so I don't have to fiddle with that at all.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone that my way is better. It's just how I prefer to do it.

As opposed to, take off lid, fiddle, replace lid, done [emoji2]

My gas stove maintains a fine, steady temperature so I don't have to fiddle with that at all.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone that my way is better. It's just how I prefer to do it.

An electric cooktop takes more tweaking, and can run away on you if you don't pay close attention. Plus, my cooktop has four "burners," and each one behaves a little differently.

If business is good, I'm eyeing an induction cooktop for my birthday present to myself. But, until then, my oven does a better job on Dutch Oven cooks.

CD

Last edited:
I have an electric stove with the coil "burners". I guess I have been using this stove long enough to know its quirks. I find it very easy to set it and have consistent heating for hours.

When it comes to pot roast, the technique is more important than the heat source. Both stovetop and oven will do the job if you do it right.

An electric cooktop takes more tweaking, and can run away on you if you don't pay close attention. Plus, my cooktop has four "burners," and each one behaves a little differently.

If business is good, I'm eyeing an induction cooktop for my birthday present to myself. But, until then, my oven does a better job on Dutch Oven cooks.

CD
I’m liking my induction cooktop very much.

If you’re thinking of buying one, make sure of these things:
Wide temp range, from 100°F to 550°f
Set temps by 5° increments (mine is 10°. It’s inconvenient)

Keep in mind that induction cooktops are not the best heat source for things like stir fry (if you’re a flipper). And make sure you’ve got pans that are induction ready!

For me a Pot Roast is nothing more that a Beef Stew made with less gravy. Although one requires a slightly different method of cooking. But the end result is the same.

I love barley in beef stew. Not so for Pot Roast. I use both beef and chicken stock for beef stew, only beef stock for pot roast. You get the idea. Basically the same dry seasonings and vegetables. Although for beef stew I do add big chunks of celery for Pirate. I DO NOT like cooked celery. I never add them to a pot roast. Potatoes, carrots, and onions only. I also add whole onions to the pot roast along with finely diced onions.

If you can make one dish, you can make the other. Just a few rule changes.

I hate pot roast. Memories of meals at my paternal grandmother's house with this very, very stringy beef that got caught in your teeth, watery gravy, and mushy, mushy carrots, potatoes, and peas. Sitting at the table eating that. I hate pot roast. Just the memory makes me want to throw up. No one ever remembers her as a talented cook.

I hate pot roast.

Maybe this recipe could change your mind?
https://piedmontgrocery.com/lisas-lazy-pot-roast/

It’s from The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly.

Very easy. I always put in extra onions and cook it on the well done side to give it a good crust. Very tasty.

For this one, I always use my original 5qt LeCreuset pot for it. We’ve made it multiple times over the years. The cookbook is one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom