Price of tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Llamaso

Assistant Cook
Thank goodness the price of tomatoes is finally coming down a little. Gas and everything else is up but tomatoes are affordable again. My garden has little tomatoes but it will be a few months for them. Hows the price of tomatoes where your at?

Thank goodness the price of tomatoes is finally coming down a little. Gas and everything else is up but tomatoes are affordable again. My garden has little tomatoes but it will be a few months for them. Hows the price of tomatoes where your at?

sky high and not very good here in so calif.

babe

Enjoy it while it lasts ... with the salmonella scare last week there are lots of ripening tomatoes in warehouses ... the price will be down until they are sold (better to get a discounted price than toss them and get nothing - we have a major distributer in Dallas that couldn't get $2.50 a case a couple of days ago).

I have no doubt that tomatoes will be even higher than they were a couple of weeks ago in another week or two.

I heard that the recent issue with tomato salmonella was caused by some of the genetic modification being done. (A lot of tomatoes are being developed with flounder genes in them(!))

Probably because the GMO stuff disrupted the tomatoes immune system. Ick.

I heard that the recent issue with tomato salmonella was caused by some of the genetic modification being done. (A lot of tomatoes are being developed with flounder genes in them(!))

Probably because the GMO stuff disrupted the tomatoes immune system. Ick.

Hearing something doesn't make it true. There are lots of ways for vegetables to become contaminated with salmonella.

Like GG said - you can hear and read a lot of "stuff" that just ain't so. Let's take, "I heard that the recent issue with tomato salmonella was caused by some of the genetic modification being done," as an example.

There have only been two GM strains of tomatoes ever sold on the market - one for eating fresh and the other for the specific purpose of making into tomato puree.

The fresh eating tomato, the Flavr Savr, was only sold in California and a few outlets in the Mid-West. They didn't live up to their expections of having more flavor and being sturdy enough for mechanical picking - they bruised easier, had less flavor and costs about twice as much in the end after going into commercial production. They tried to grow them in Florida but that didn't work because the were prone to fungas and rot due to the humidity. They have not been sold since 1996!

The other, which was only sold as canned puree, was only sold in the UK - and has not been sold there since 1999!

Now - if you can connect the dots and get a link to the salmonella outbreak from GM tomatoes which have not been sold since 1996, and in a form in which they never existed (roma and plum) - "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Back
Top Bottom