Pullman Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Pullman 2 lbs 23.08.11.jpg

Go ahead! Go on! Just go ask that old granny with the silly grin on her face what she did today. Mind you, she hasn't cut it open yet, still too hot.

And while she was waiting for that to finish - she tried out Jacques Pepin's Smashed Potatoes.
hmmm... afraid there won't be any left for supper.

Smashed Potatoes per J. Pepin 1 .23.08.11.jpg

Amazing!

What do you plan to use it for?

It reminded me of making elaborate toasted cases to hold eggs, creamed mushrooms, seafood, etc…

The cases can be individual or large using an entire loaf.

LOL - nothing elaborate! Probably cut it in thirds, freeze two of them and slice the last for toast and sandwiches, just for me. Not cooking for anyone else.

But I'm not ignoring the possibilities. I've yet to read that article Aunt Bea, but it sure sounds great.
Thanks of the link!

hmmm, creamed mushrooms, seafood - do you remember any of those recipes?

OK, so it has been sliced open... WOW, it's great, never had bread like this. Not sure I can describe it.

Crust is very... crusty (?)... not like French bread or a baguette but a definite chew. I like it!
Inside is soft and fluffy (think box store - Wonder type) but much more flavourful. Not super white. Not so soft I couldn't butter it with room temp butter. Although I guess the crust helps to hold its shape.
The taste, flavour - beautiful!! You do notice the sweetness. Normally I would have reduced it but .. first time, you know, stick to the recipe. Not sorry I did.
It is not a 'sweet' bread (as in coffe cake type things). Have yet to make toast or a sandwich but really can't see it fail.
This is a King Arthur recipe for Pain de Mie and I can't complain. I used my bread machine, all liquids first, then all the powders. Has Powdered Milk and Potato Four (had to use Potato Starch but told it's OK). Used Instant Yeast rather than the Bread Machine Yeast. Almost missed the fact that it had it's first rise in the machine. Luckily I clued in and got it into the pan for its second rise.
Great stuff. Watch out neighbours, you might be finding loaves of bread on your doorstep.
Old lady just might be on a roll! (could that be a pun?)

Ahhh Katy, a girl after me own heart.
Supper tonight has been the potatoes, a couple of slices of bread and wine.
time to go watch TV

That loaf looks perfect. Looking forward to a photo of the interior.

Love those smashed potatoes. They are a favorite here.

20230811_184107.jpg

Yeah, no comment on the big mouth bite, if you please.

Even though it has butter on it that's pretty much the colour of the crumb. The bitten piece is the heel. I'm super pleased with it.

I may have bought those potatoes under the influence of the previous discussion but I can certainly see why people would pay extra for them - just to fix them that way. Amazing.

and the silly old lady thank you ALL for the compliments. She had to have a little talk with herself because she was overthinking the job. :LOL:

Lovely photo of the spuds. I have a pretty good recipe for smashed potatoes, but I would love a recipe from Jacques Pépin. How about a link?

Jacques Pepin - small potato yummyness

Here yuh go taxy, Aunt Bea had posted this in the Potato Kit thread.

I just boiled them in the pan with some water and lots of salt, when the water was gone (and the taters were done) I squished them and added a whole bunch of butter.
I didn't have a lot of spuds so only eyeballed the quantities, didn't measure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I have saved it. I had already seen that video, but I didn't think to save the link. "Smashed potatoes" are usually done in the oven. Jacques Pépin called these "pommes fondants (melting potatoes)".

It's true he does call them Pommes Fondants. I was a little surprised he doesn't mention the traditional way. But the end result is the same. Crispy toasted on the outside and creamy flavour on the inside.
That actually is on my "to do" list. I haven't actually researched to see how they cut those cylinders and still be economical about it. :sneaky:
About other potatoes:
I have done Duchess Potatoes, Hasselback, Scalloped.
But have not done a Rosti or Potato Pie, I have several recipes for them but am a little intimidated to try. Leaving them alone in the pan to cook - I'm sure I'll burn it to a crisp or turn to soon and have it land on the floor.
I include Pommes Anna along with the above.
I once tried Gnocchi - even the chickens wouldn't eat them. :sick:
and although not potatoes I had great success with gnudi!
Guess I should start a potato thread?
Also have Pommes Dauphine on my "to do" list.

A potato thread would be good ( since I'm up to my neck in potatoes). a year ago I went ou tto a restaurant and got Potato Pave ( thin slices of potatos, layered than fried up). It was so good and flaky . I made it, tasted good, but not as good as the restarurants.

Attachments

• potatoes pave.png
    potatoes pave.png
    981.7 KB · Views: 7
I do smashed potatoes in a skillet. The recipe I started with from Serious Eats uses a skillet. I have seen the JP video recently. The biggest difference in his recipe is that he smashes them in the skillet.

I will start a new thread for potatoes.... soon.
at which point I will bring/copy all post concerning it.

But....
I'm having a lot of trouble with my mouse. I mentioned on another thread I have to use both touch pad and mouse to navigate and it's very frustrating! So when I have done it I will post a link.
so please, bear with... bear with!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom