Pullman Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do smashed potatoes in a skillet. The recipe I started with from Serious Eats uses a skillet. I have seen the JP video recently. The biggest difference in his recipe is that he smashes them in the skillet.
Share the link to the recipe you use, please? My attempt at the JP version did not turn out so great.

It's true he does call them Pommes Fondants. I was a little surprised he doesn't mention the traditional way. But the end result is the same. Crispy toasted on the outside and creamy flavour on the inside.
That actually is on my "to do" list. I haven't actually researched to see how they cut those cylinders and still be economical about it. :sneaky:
About other potatoes:
I have done Duchess Potatoes, Hasselback, Scalloped.
But have not done a Rosti or Potato Pie, I have several recipes for them but am a little intimidated to try. Leaving them alone in the pan to cook - I'm sure I'll burn it to a crisp or turn to soon and have it land on the floor.
I include Pommes Anna along with the above.
I once tried Gnocchi - even the chickens wouldn't eat them. :sick:
and although not potatoes I had great success with gnudi!
Guess I should start a potato thread?
Also have Pommes Dauphine on my "to do" list.
Cylinders? I remember J.P. did a video of a bunch of ways to cut potatoes, ways that are taught in culinary school. There does seem to be a fair bit of waste, but I imagine that could be used to make mashed potatoes. BTW, I have read that you can keep peeled potatoes in the fridge in water for a day or so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom