Questions About: Freezing Butternut Squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Domestic Goddess

Senior Cook
For those who freeze butternut squash...

How does everyone freeze their squash?

If you blanch it first, in water ontop the stove, how much squash (ounces or pounds) do you add to your saucepan, and how much water (ounces) do you add? Do you cover the pot before you blanch the squash, or cook/blanch the squash with out covering the pot? And how long (minutes) does it take to blanch the squash? Also, do you then cool the squash while it's still cubed, or possibly add it to a bowl of ice water for a few minutes, then blot the cubed squash with paper toweling, then flash freeze it in the freezer before adding it to freezer bags, or do you mash it immediately after it's been blanched, and freeze it in Ziploc freezer bags or use other containers to freeze it?

For those who blanch their squash in the microwave, what is the wattage of your microwave when doing this process, how much squash (ounces or pounds) do you cook/blanch in the microwave, how much water do you add, and how many minutes does it take to cook it?

For those who prefer to cook/roast there's in the oven, at what temp do you cook it, and for how long?

Do you freeze your squash in Ziploc freezer bags, or in Tupperware-like freezer containers? If using the Ziploc freezer bags, how much squash do you add to those bags?

I fully cook the squash in the oven. Uncut, 400F until cooked through, about an hour depending on size. Scoop out the meat and freeze in a freezer bag or plastic storage container.

With all the fresh vegetables, especially squash, available in the Fall, I'm unsure why you have to freeze squash anyway. Freezing destroys texture, color, and flavor of vegetables due to the cellulose and pectin that give vegetables their fiberous nature.

Anytime I freeze squash, it's after I've created an entire dish from it. In other words, freezing pureed, roasted, or simmered squash by itself can lead to discoloration and off-flavors from the freezer.

I make an apple and butternut squash soup and freeze it in ziplock bags. The acid from the apples helps prevent discoloration in the freezer, and the cinnamon and spices help keep the flavor consistent.

Mashed butternut squash is stabilized with melted butter and salt.

I'd create a some dishes from the squash and then freeze that.

------------------
Free Video reveals my
#1 Chef Secret for Creating Amazing Meals at Home
http://www.WebCookingClasses.com

I have a butternut squash on my counter that I grew last summer, so it is more than a year old! I am just holding on to it to see how long it lasts.

I have frozen squash before, just for the convenience factor, but I really prefer to have a basketful of whole fruit on the floor in the sunroom. Looks pretty, and I just cook them when I need them.

Back
Top Bottom