Red potato microwave kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, the "Little Gems" we get here are much larger than a marble, but then maybe Texas marbles are bigger than ours. :)
I try to remember to take a pic tomorrow.

We grew potatoes one year. (we tried for several more years but for unknown reasons, they didn't grow). We got a variety of sizes from about a half pound to an ounce or so. Some were really tiny, like the marble size TexMex is talking about. My guess is that a company has decided to try selling those in the package described. I bet it's a much bigger markup than putting them in canned soup.

One thing I discovered, last year the tiny potatoes that we got from our grow bags had the bitterest skin imaginable.
20230807_142010.jpg

Here's what I bought the other day. 1.5 lbs (680 g) with a russet potato beside them. Bag cost maybe a dollar less than the 10 lb bag of russets. LOL Is it worth the convenience? LOL, who knows! Only the buyer/user can say.
But they sure are comparatively expensive.

I'm also not sure that they are now specifically growing small ones on purpose as they seem to have become popular. As really they only need rinsing, nothing else to do with them to cook. The ones pictured are Golden but there are Reds, Whites and a mixed colours available.

Those tiny marble sized potatoes are nice boiled, drained, and added to a cream sauce on their own or with peas, mushrooms, pearl onions, etc…

In this area the golf ball sized potatoes are boiled in heavily salted water and served with melted butter. One pound of salt to four pounds of small potatoes simmered in water enough to cover until tender.

A pound of salt! WOW! that's like half a box of table salt but on the other hand - 4 lbs of small potatoes?? Who cooks that many? Except maybe at Christmas?

On the other hand - cream sauce with onions, mushrooms and peas... sounds yummy!

A pound of salt! WOW! that's like half a box of table salt but on the other hand - 4 lbs of small potatoes?? Who cooks that many? Except maybe at Christmas?

On the other hand - cream sauce with onions, mushrooms and peas... sounds yummy!
In this area they sell the potatoes and the fine salt together in the same bag.

When the potatoes are drained a crusty layer of salt forms on the skin.

They are very popular at clambakes, chicken barbecues, etc…

1691436011605.png

Oh golly, as a youngster in the Maritimes we had clam bakes on the beach. Perfect - yup, I'd love to do that again.

Thanks Aunt Bea!

Edit:
Clam by the neck in one hand, potato on a stick in the other - and a bowl of melted butter. Groan, heaven!

One thing I discovered, last year the tiny potatoes that we got from our grow bags had the bitterest skin imaginable.
View attachment 65467
Here's what I bought the other day. 1.5 lbs (680 g) with a russet potato beside them. Bag cost maybe a dollar less than the 10 lb bag of russets. LOL Is it worth the convenience? LOL, who knows! Only the buyer/user can say.
But they sure are comparatively expensive.

I'm also not sure that they are now specifically growing small ones on purpose as they seem to have become popular. As really they only need rinsing, nothing else to do with them to cook. The ones pictured are Golden but there are Reds, Whites and a mixed colours available.
I was buying that size goldens pretty frequently for a while. I like them in stews or green beans. I was also using them for scalloped potatoes or anything because it takes me a while to go through a bag or even a small bag.

I was at Kroger yesterday and saw this product for the first time. It was only $3, but I already have potatoes at home, and plenty of seasonings, so I passed.
20230807_164153.jpg

Today's rate is $2.99 US to Cdn = $4.02
which is $1.00 off -about the same here when on special as I believe reg. here is about $5. something.

Another idea for those small creamer potatoes.

My grandma used to fry the small new potatoes in bacon drippings. Sometimes you would need to blanch them first but I have seen her just put them in skillet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom