Smoked and reverse seared wagyu sirloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think searing a big thick steak on a charcoal chimney half full of red hot coals is the best method.

I did that once, and it does a good sear, but it takes a while to get the chimney just right, and then the sear is done in no time. It just seemed like a waste of time and charcoal.

Yep, I agree and personally I find there's no comparison. I also prefer a reverse sear to sous vide any day.
I've done a combination of SV and charcoal chimney. What I like about SV is that you are guaranteed the perfect interior every time. With the super heat of the chimney you get the perfect combination.

I use reverse sear with high temp oven finishing a lot with roasts and the results are great.

Those are usually kitchen torches which use butane, not propane. They will work on steaks, too.

CD
Yeah, not sure about butane torches, never used them and all the professional kitchens I've work in have used propane and the one I have at home is also propane, but I suspect that product is available somewhere for similar use.

Last edited:
Yeah, not sure about butane torches, never used them and all the professional kitchens I've work in have used propane and the one I have at home is also propane, but I suspect that product is available somewhere for similar use.

I have this one. It uses standard butane canisters.

Butane burns cleaner. Propane can leave a taste on food if you are not careful. It is less likely with butane.

CD

Last edited:
My parents from NJ always call it strip steak, while in Texas, everyone says "NY Strip." Kinda' odd. My favorite steak is ribeye, but I like a good NY Strip, too.

CD
I used to call it NY strip steak. BUT people from Kansas had issues. LOL So now I just call it strip or shell.

I used to call it NY strip steak. BUT people from Kansas had issues. LOL So now I just call it strip or shell.

I can't remember the last time I heard the term "Kansas City Strip," or KC Strip. I assume it is still used in KC. I have no idea where else it may still be used.

CD

I can't remember the last time I heard the term "Kansas City Strip," or KC Strip. I assume it is still used in KC. I have no idea where else it may still be used.

CD
There was a guy on another forum (I think it was cooking.com, now defunct), from Kansas, who got very testy when I would say NY strip. So I got used to just saying strip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom