Sriracha Sauce fermenting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I want to make some Sriracha Sauce this summer, Daughter puts it on just about everything. Most recipes I find say it has to be fermented. Does it have to be fermented room temperature or can it ferment in the refrigerator? Can't convince the hubbie that fermenting can be safe. Thanks

To get that flavor, it has to be fermented, and definitely at room temp - it would slow down so much in the fridge that it wouldn't taste like it was fermented. And it has to be fermented for a fairly long time - I tried making some, and it was only for a few days, and it was OK, but missing the flavor the longer fermented ones have.

The microbes that create fermentation can only reproduce at room temperature. You can remind your husband that fermentation is a method of preserving food, so it's safe. This article from the University of Massachusetts Center for Applied Nutrition describes how it works: Eat Better Feel Better: Make Your Own Fermented Vegetables

I trust the Serious Eats website. Their recipe takes about a week to ferment and then you refrigerate the sauce to stop the process when the flavor is where you want it: Homemade Sriracha Recipe

Back
Top Bottom