Stabilized Whipped Cream - game changer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Yesterday was my hubby's B-day and he always asks for the same thing - A chocolate stout cake, no icing please, and pass the whipped cream.

I obliged but thought it might be fun to serve the cake with the cream already on top to look a bit festive and to mimic the top of a mug of oatmeal stout. The problem is that whipped cream rapidly breaks down and the cake would be soggy and leftovers would not keep. Stabilized whipped cream was the answer BUT in the past, I've done this with clear gelatin and it's finicky. Too much gelatin and you get a rubbery mess, not enough, and the opposite issue. And then there's all that getting the temp of the gelatin just right.

I hit the internet and found an amazing solution for stabilized cream using instant pudding mix powder - I was skeptical but tried it anyway. It's PERFECT! AWESOME even. Where have I been all these years to not know about this???

Here's how you do it:

1 Cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbl instant pudding powder
a wee bit of vanilla
Whip.

I used cream cheese flavor but think vanilla would be fine as well and you could add a little powdered sugar if you like sweeter cream. Soft pillowy joy! I iced the cake several hours before serving and kept it in the fridge. Today's leftovers are just as perfect as last night's cake. I am a convert!

Check out the view 20 hours after the cream was applied to the cake:

cream.jpg

No soggy cake, no broken cream, no runs, no drips and the cream is light and soft and still wonderful. The leftover slice does not look like leftovers! It's still perfect.

Heaven!

Last edited:
Yesterday was my hubby's and he always asks for the same thing - A chocolate stout cake, no icing please, and pass the whipped cream.

I obliged but thought it might be fun to serve the cake with the cream already on top to look a bit festive and to mimic the top of a mug of oatmeal stout. The problem is that whipped cream rapidly breaks down and the cake would be soggy and leftovers would not keep. Stabilized whipped cream was the answer BUT in the past, I've done this with clear gelatin and it's finicky. Too much gelatin and you get a rubbery mess, not enough, and the opposite issue. And then there's all that getting the temp of the gelatin just right.

I hit the internet and found an amazing solution for stabilized cream using instant pudding mix powder - I was skeptical but tried it anyway. It's PERFECT! AWESOME even. Where have I been all these years to not know about this???

Here's how you do it:

1 Cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbl instant pudding powder
a wee bit of vanilla
Whip.

I used cream cheese flavor but think vanilla would be fine as well and you could add a little powdered sugar if you like sweeter cream. Soft pillowy joy! I iced the cake several hours before serving and kept it in the fridge. Today's leftovers are just as perfect as last night's cake. I am a convert!

Check out the view 20 hours after the cream was applied to the cake:

View attachment 68649

No soggy cake, no broken cream, no runs, no drips and the cream is light and soft and still wonderful. The leftover slice does not look like leftovers! It's still perfect.

Heaven!
Thanks, I’ll give this a try.

Years ago a local chef taught me to use whipped heavy cream with an equal amount of nondairy whipped topping blended in.

He used a commercial product called Richwhip from Rich foods. I’ve used thawed Coolwhip with good results.

I had to purchase a package of pudding mix for this adventure, as I don't routinely use instant pudding. I whipped 2 cups of cream (using 2 tablespoons of pudding mix). There are several tablespoons left in the package, so I've frozen the powder for future use. This is going to become a freezer staple for me.

Is there are reason to NOT use regular/packaged "Whip It" Whip Cream Stabilizer?
I did not know this existed....

I just googled Whip-it and it appears to have 3 ingredients: dextrose, modified cornstarch, tricalcium phosphate.

The Jello pudding has this: SUGAR, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE, SALT, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR (CONTAINS BARLEY), LACTIC ACID, YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6.

It appears that sugar and some sort of starch like cornstarch are shared... I'm betting I could use Powdered sugar and corn starch (which I always have in the cupboard)

This is an interesting thread!

Adding cream of tartar as a stabilizer was new to me.

1 cup (220g) whipping cream (cold, use straight from fridge)
1/4 cup (35g) powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

I need to buy a quart of cream and do some experimenting! 🐷🐷🐷

P.S.

A few years ago kayelle introduced me to shelf stable whipping cream in 8 oz containers, available at TraderJoes.

It was handy to have in the pantry. I’m not sure if it is still available.

Last edited:
post covid and up until recently, our Giant's supply of half&half, light cream and heavy cream was spotty to non-existent. I could not rely on any being in stock.
curiously, there was no shortage of milk - not sure what they did with the cream....

November I found / bought (which is a Trader Joe product, we have no TJ in this area....)

oh! just noticed - 'currently not available' oops.

uhmm, it appears there's two separate topics . . .

"shelf stable" refers to stuff that is normally refrigerated, but thru ultra-pasturization, can be stored "at room temperature" for (near) indefinite time.

"stabilizing whipped cream" is a different issue/problem/situation.
whipped cream will deflate/weep to near 'just liquid' over time.
it is an essential technique/need especially for pastry type products than need to stay 'whipped' for longer periods.

the use of cream of tartar to prevent that is veddy ancient.
King Arthur took a different tactic:

Last edited:
Thanks, that was interesting!

I wonder what the mom and pop bakeries use to make the thick whipped cream that they pipe into cream puffs. 🤔
I think they use Pastry Cream, no?

FOR THE VANILLA PASTRY CREAM FILLING:​

• 2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

I think they use Pastry Cream, no?

FOR THE VANILLA PASTRY CREAM FILLING:​

• 2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Yes. This is why I can't stop eating them when they're on a buffet table near me... 🤤

Last edited:
Chocolate eclairs was my absolute favourite. They were available with two different fillings, a whipped cream and also a pastry cream. Depending on the bakery where you bought them. I loved both,

Back
Top Bottom