Storing, Freezing, & Re-heating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burnt-toast

Assistant Cook
Hi again ! Different food, but same sort of question, so I've added it on here.
I read that once frozen sausages have been defrosted, they shouldn't be re-frozen unless they have been cooked.

So I have done this [ the cooking and eating some of them part], and re-frozen the rest of the cooked ones, in small containers of 2 in each.

So assuming that I take one of these little batches and defrost them again, prior to eating, how do I proceed once they have been satisfactorily de-frosted ?

Presumably they would OK to eat cold. But if they were required to be part of a hot meal, [ bangers and mash, for example] what would be the best way to re-heat the newly de-frosted ones ?

My thoughts are to heat them up [there will be 2 quite large sausages] on Medium Power only,in my 1200 watt Microwave for about 3 minutes. Maybe turn them over, and give them another minute.

If I do this, and then eat them, will I survive until morning ? Or even longer, as I'd like to see the end of the Ryder Cup !

Last edited:

Burnt-toast

Assistant Cook
Hi. I've been taking all the advice on this topic from you all, and it's been proving invaluable. I no longer feel in danger of death when cooking, freezing and re-heating my food.

I might well be, but I don't feel so !!

Tonight I have a new problem. I have a friend coming for dinner tomorrow, and have cooked a large curry, as I often do, divided it into sections, stored in sealable containers, and frozen.

This is a routine I have'perfected', as well as the re-heating aspects, mainly due to good advice !!

But now that I have to prepare a meal for 2, and will be doubling the quantities, does that also mean I have to double the re-heating time ? After defreezing, [ which I always do twice for safety], I reheat for about 4 mins on 'Medium in 1200 watt MWave.

But with double the quantity, do I reheat for 8 mins ? And for the de-freezing, which normally takes me 15 mins, do i double that as well ?

Very grateful for any advice. Keen to stay alive !!

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Hi. I've been taking all the advice on this topic from you all, and it's been proving invaluable. I no longer feel in danger of death when cooking, freezing and re-heating my food.

I might well be, but I don't feel so !!

Tonight I have a new problem. I have a friend coming for dinner tomorrow, and have cooked a large curry, as I often do, divided it into sections, stored in sealable containers, and frozen.

This is a routine I have'perfected', as well as the re-heating aspects, mainly due to good advice !!

But now that I have to prepare a meal for 2, and will be doubling the quantities, does that also mean I have to double the re-heating time ? After defreezing, [ which I always do twice for safety], I reheat for about 4 mins on 'Medium in 1200 watt MWave.

But with double the quantity, do I reheat for 8 mins ? And for the de-freezing, which normally takes me 15 mins, do i double that as well ?

Very grateful for any advice. Keen to stay alive !!
It will certainly take long t heat a larger quantity. Have you got a food testing thermometer to test it with.

This is useful
Thawing and Reheating Tips - Frozen Meals - Good Housekeeping

Latest posts

Top Bottom