Sugar vs. corn syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffnc

Assistant Cook
I'm making a lemon sorbet from an old Ben & Jerry's recipe book. It calls for mostly sugar, with something like 1/4 cup of corn syrup in addition. This is true for most, but not all, of the sorbet recipes in the book. I'm wondering why that's in there. What would happen if I just substituted plain sugar for it. Or maybe even just left it out for a less sweet taste.

it affects the granularity and also serves to keep ice cream from freezing harder than desired....

When making a simple syrup, i.e. 1 part water, 1 part sugar, you constantly need to brush the liquid on the sides of the pan to wash the sugar crystals back into the syrup. If there are any sugar crystals that aren't completely dissolved into the water, they will act as seeds that will cause crystallization of the syrup/ Adding corn syrup causes the sugar to completely liquefy, eliminating that crystallization.

When making your sorbet, the addition of the corn syrup does the same thing, it keeps the syrup component of the sorbet in a liquid state, again, elimination the formation of sugar crystals. This makes for a smoother, softer sorbet that will maintain good flavor and texture. The same thing can be done by adding agave syrup instead of corn syrup.l You can leave the corn syrup out of you sorbet recipe, but the results won;t be as good.

Seeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Hi jeffnc - Welcome to DC!

Thanks for reviving the other thread on Sorbet.

I haven't made sorbet for a very long time but now that I have an ice-cream machine I just might try it in that!

And especially with the addition of the corn syrup or agave syrup with those facts of which I never knew. Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom