TGIF, what's for supper 2023 August 11?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
What did you eat?

We had broccolisalat (broccoli salad). It's a really tasty way of using the local, summer availability of broccoli. This is the recipe I use: Broccolisalat.

Broccolisalat.jpg

I got home from a full day of work around 5:00 pm, with about 3 1/2 hours before I had to leave for work overnight (in America, in 2023, you take the work happily whenever you can get it!). I whipped up some scrambled eggs with taco cheese, cooked in bacon fat; a couple slices of Bavarian black bread toasted on the side; and the ubiquitous glass of ice cold 2% milk.

The nicest thing about eggs for dinner: they're fast. Less than ten minutes after getting home I was eating.

I have one of these! Tell me, does it not feel like when you were small with an Easy Back Oven? Half the time, I gaze at it turns! Plus, delicious!!!!

We had homemade chicken wings and celery sticks - suitable for watching football!
Yep, takes one back! And so much better than the store bought ones.

@Aunt Bea sure.🫠

I start by prepping all my ingredients. Onion, red capsicum, garlic, peas and whatever other veggies I need to use. Being that paella started as a bit of a “use up whatever you have” dish, there is really no standard recipe, but of course you may find cork sniffers insist on “traditional” variants. I too use that seafood marinara pre-mix, especially since seafood is eye-wateringly expensive down here nowadays.
I use a cast iron paella pan, but a large skillet will suffice equally as well. Heat the skillet over medium heat, add a decent glug of olive oil and warm up.
Onions in first, allow to brown before adding capsicum, peas and lastly garlic, letting them soften.
I add sliced chorizo here, and you can use chicken also if you wish. I find it better to use cooked chicken that you might have had as a roast at some point, but it is certainly optional.
Once everything is motoring along, add crushed tomatoes and some purée. Here is where I also add herbs - dried tarragon and absolutely definitely smoky paprika (best you can find!) Lower the heat to simmer.
Next, add your rice, Arborio or other short grain rice. Stir all together to coat the rice, then move to the “risotto” style of cooking - one cup of white wine at a time, alternating with good chicken or vegetable stock and continue until you get it like a risotto. Don’t stir the rice at all by this stage.
Lastly, I add the seafood, judging how long you will need to cook gently without sending the seafood tough (about five minutes generally).
Lastly, to achieve your soffrito, raise the temperature to medium high for exactly ONE minute, before killing the heat entirely and cover the pan with foil and let rest for about 5-7 minutes.
Serve with parsley garnish and lemon or lime wedges.
Enjoy!

As mentioned, there are as many recipes and techniques as you can imagine and I found that some trial and error is required to achieve your preferred outcome.
Paella is a very forgiving dish, and you can omit the wine or use dry sherry or just more stock. If I am using black shell mussels, I will steam them separately and add to the dish at the end. The smoky paprika and rice are the most important ingredients in my opinion, using good quality items here is important. If you can find bomba rice and are prepared to sell a kidney for it, all the better. Arborio or even sushi rice are great options too.
Have fun with it and make it your own. It’s a great wow dish for guests and parties.
🫠

@Aunt Bea sure.🫠

I start by prepping all my ingredients. Onion, red capsicum, garlic, peas and whatever other veggies I need to use. Being that paella started as a bit of a “use up whatever you have” dish, there is really no standard recipe, but of course you may find cork sniffers insist on “traditional” variants. I too use that seafood marinara pre-mix, especially since seafood is eye-wateringly expensive down here nowadays.
I use a cast iron paella pan, but a large skillet will suffice equally as well. Heat the skillet over medium heat, add a decent glug of olive oil and warm up.
Onions in first, allow to brown before adding capsicum, peas and lastly garlic, letting them soften.
I add sliced chorizo here, and you can use chicken also if you wish. I find it better to use cooked chicken that you might have had as a roast at some point, but it is certainly optional.
Once everything is motoring along, add crushed tomatoes and some purée. Here is where I also add herbs - dried tarragon and absolutely definitely smoky paprika (best you can find!) Lower the heat to simmer.
Next, add your rice, Arborio or other short grain rice. Stir all together to coat the rice, then move to the “risotto” style of cooking - one cup of white wine at a time, alternating with good chicken or vegetable stock and continue until you get it like a risotto. Don’t stir the rice at all by this stage.
Lastly, I add the seafood, judging how long you will need to cook gently without sending the seafood tough (about five minutes generally).
Lastly, to achieve your soffrito, raise the temperature to medium high for exactly ONE minute, before killing the heat entirely and cover the pan with foil and let rest for about 5-7 minutes.
Serve with parsley garnish and lemon or lime wedges.
Enjoy!

As mentioned, there are as many recipes and techniques as you can imagine and I found that some trial and error is required to achieve your preferred outcome.
Paella is a very forgiving dish, and you can omit the wine or use dry sherry or just more stock. If I am using black shell mussels, I will steam them separately and add to the dish at the end. The smoky paprika and rice are the most important ingredients in my opinion, using good quality items here is important. If you can find bomba rice and are prepared to sell a kidney for it, all the better. Arborio or even sushi rice are great options too.
Have fun with it and make it your own. It’s a great wow dish for guests and parties.
🫠
Thank you!

The process sounds similar to what I recognize as a stovetop version of Spanish rice.

I will definitely give it a go!

Thanks again!

B

Rot chicken, mac & cheese and corn.

View attachment 65525
Ooh, that picture reminds me of some great rotisserie chicken I used to buy, back when I lived in town, in Monreal. The lady who owned it was from a Spanish speaking country. She had a couple of rotisseries like this:

rotisserie-chickens-spit-roasted-french-street-market-being-63363597.jpg

On the bottom, she had boiled, quartered potatoes. She would baste the chickens and all the fat melting out of the chickens and the basting sauce would drip onto the potatoes. Those potatoes and that chicken were soooo good. I would also buy a tub of her sauce (It looked like it was just oil that had been heating with spices and maybe a bit of chicken stock.).

Do you ever do that with potatoes when you are cooking a chicken in your rotisserie?

Ooh, that picture reminds me of some great rotisserie chicken I used to buy, back when I lived in town, in Monreal. The lady who owned it was from a Spanish speaking country. She had a couple of rotisseries like this:

rotisserie-chickens-spit-roasted-french-street-market-being-63363597.jpg

On the bottom, she had boiled, quartered potatoes. She would baste the chickens and all the fat melting out of the chickens and the basting sauce would drip onto the potatoes. Those potatoes and that chicken were soooo good. I would also buy a tub of her sauce (It looked like it was just oil that had been heating with spices and maybe a bit of chicken stock.).

Do you ever do that with potatoes when you are cooking a chicken in your rotisserie?
We had a similar restaurant called the Orville Barbecue.

The massive old roasters were positioned in a front window to draw the customers.

Roasting a chicken with potatoes, carrots, and onions tucked around it seasoned with plenty of salt pepper and paprika makes a great lazy Sunday dinner on a raw winter day and sets you up for a great week of easy meals.
🐷🐷🐷

We had a similar restaurant called the Orville Barbecue.

The massive old roasters were positioned in a front window to draw the customers.

Roasting a chicken with potatoes, carrots, and onions tucked around it seasoned with plenty of salt pepper and paprika makes a great lazy Sunday dinner on a raw winter day and sets you up for a great week of easy meals.
🐷🐷🐷
Yup, the rotisseries were in the window of the store. And yes, that roast chicken with root vegis tucked around is a great lazy supper.

Jade, I've never been particularly drawn to paella due to a lot of fish always seems to be included. But if I just use shellfish (shrimp, clams, mussels, or even squid and octopus) maybe I'll give it a try one day.

taxy, that picture looks sooo familiar. I'm sure I've seen or been there in Montreal. Do you remember just where it was?

I believe all my oven have had rotisserie functions but I only ever remember using it once, with the first one. Being inexperienced I found it a pain the prep, watch over and clean. Never used one again. I remember getting one for the bbq grill but don't actually remember using it! :LOL:

I think I get the same effect when I place chicken legs on the sheet pan with the vegies. ;)

Back
Top Bottom