Thanksgiving 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I’ve finally decided on our Thanksgiving meal. Since it’s just the two of us, I decided it just isn’t worth the time or money to do everything. I will make the mushrooms gratin described in another thread here. Kayelle’s recipe? I’m adding Brussels sprouts to the mix, though. The red pepper and cauliflower soup is a go, also introduced on these forums. Hasselback sweet potatoes and homemade cranberry sauce. Pepperidge farms dressing.

Smith’s had a roasted bone-in turkey breast tonight that looked very nice and smelled great. It was only a dollar more than two Tyson Cornish game hens, and I don’t have to fuss with it. And store bought Heinz mushroom gravy. They were all out of turkey gravy, go know!

Anybody have any suggestions on how to reheat the turkey breast without drying it out? Please?

Well in the past two days all my dishes are prepped (except the turkey, gravy and stuffed mushrooms). Everything is ready to be reheated in oven after the bird comes out to rest.

Well, I’ve finally decided on our Thanksgiving meal. Since it’s just the two of us, I decided it just isn’t worth the time or money to do everything. I will make the mushrooms gratin described in another thread here. Kayelle’s recipe? I’m adding Brussels sprouts to the mix, though. The red pepper and cauliflower soup is a go, also introduced on these forums. Hasselback sweet potatoes and homemade cranberry sauce. Pepperidge farms dressing.

Smith’s had a roasted bone-in turkey breast tonight that looked very nice and smelled great. It was only a dollar more than two Tyson Cornish game hens, and I don’t have to fuss with it. And store bought Heinz mushroom gravy. They were all out of turkey gravy, go know!

Anybody have any suggestions on how to reheat the turkey breast without drying it out? Please?

I've had good luck with either putting it back in the juice or a chicken broth & it helps keep the moisture in the turkey.

Pumpkin pie is out

pumpkin_pie_112118_IMG_5069.jpg

Apple pie just went into the oven

unbaked_apple_pie_112118_IMG_5065.jpg

I'm joining friends for Thanksgiving dinner but I wanted to have some turkey, dressing, and gravy at home for the weekend.

I got a turkey without the drumsticks that had already been put in brine and rinsed. I cooked it in the slow cooker today and it came out great! Very tender.

I made the mushroom gravy last week and froze it. It came out to thaw today.

I'll make the dressing in the morning and take a plate to my neighbor tomorrow noonish before I go to my friends' dinner. Neighbor will be alone for Thanksgiving and she said she looks forward to enjoying my plate of goodies while she watches football.

Regarding how to warm up turkey breast -
I plan to put a bit of crunched foil in the bottom of my slow cooker with a bit of broth on the bottom for moisture. Then I'll place slices of turkey on top to warm for leftovers. Broth in the bottom, foil to elevate the meat to keep it from getting soggy, low heat, and the lid on the slow cooker should keep things moist.

I decided to make a stuffed turkey breast roulade this year, along with two drumsticks because DH likes dark meat. We'll also have mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole with fresh green beans, glazed carrot coins and dinner rolls. Pumpkin pie for dessert.

Nice thing about the roulade is that it cooks at one temperature for two hours and done [emoji2]

What temperature do you cook your turkey at?

My parents use the pop-up indicator, then probe it after the red thing pops up. Soooo, the breast was 184, and the thigh was 191. :ohmy:

Edit: If you meant the oven temperature, I have only smoked my turkeys in the past, at about 300F (no stuffing).

CD

My parents use the pop-up indicator, then probe it after the red thing pops up. Soooo, the breast was 184, and the thigh was 191. :ohmy:

Edit: If you meant the oven temperature, I have only smoked my turkeys in the past, at about 300F (no stuffing).

CD
If you were working in the legal department for the turkey company, and they were going to put in a cheap plastic thingy that popped up at a certain temperature, and it was only accurate to +/- 5 degrees, what temperature would you pick? Keep in mind that you won't get sued for overdone turkey, but could get sued if it was undercooked and people got sick.

We went to the same friends for Thanksgiving that we've been going to for years. Last year Jan got a turkey without the little plastic thingy, and she was trying to use an old analog dial thermometer to check the temperature. We gave her a Thermopop for Christmas. This year's turkey was the best she's ever made.

I don’t remember in which forum or thread this recipe was posted, but I did copy it from Food52 to my recipe collection. Red bell pepper and cauliflower chowder I strayed greatly from the recipe. I roasted the red bells and skinned them. I added half a medium red onion. I sautéed the onion and garlic and deglazed it with a bit of ruby red port. I used dried sage and rosemary instead of the cumin and coriander. Chicken stock instead of vegetable broth. I puréed it until it was smooth and silky. I added some apple cider vinegar (although I think balsamic may have been a better choice). And I finished it with some butter and whole milk.

I think it may be the best soup I’ve ever made! My mom would so have loved it!

If you were working in the legal department for the turkey company, and they were going to put in a cheap plastic thingy that popped up at a certain temperature, and it was only accurate to +/- 5 degrees, what temperature would you pick? Keep in mind that you won't get sued for overdone turkey, but could get sued if it was undercooked and people got sick.

I understand that, and completely agree with you. I am sure that plastic pop-up thing was designed to overcook, rather than undercook a turkey.

I gave my dad an expensive Maverick remote probe thermometer for xmas a few years ago, but he still uses that stinking pop-up thing in his turkey cooks. He's 86, so I gave up long ago trying to change his mind on that.

At least he lets me slice the turkey (first time today), because he has an incredible talent for finding a way to cut meat with the grain, instead of against it.

My dad and I have a weird relationship, but over the years, he has gradually let me teach him things when I know more than he does on the subject at hand. In return, I ask him for advice, whether I need it or not. He sometimes surprises me by knowing something about Macs and iPhones that I couldn't figure out -- he's 86. :LOL:

He taught me how to drive a car, and I taught him how to drive a boat. :)

Oh... um.. TMI?

CD

I did an odd turkey "my way" with two breasts and four thighs. I'll never do a whole turkey again!

My big pretty roaster pan was just right with four of my new silicone roasting racks on the bottom. Two boneless net encased breast roasts, and four beautiful whole thighs, gave us a glorious pan of turkey with no muss, no fuss, and plenty to share with leftovers.
I added the breast roasts after giving the thighs a 30 min. head start in the pan, then added the breast rolls and used my handy dandy remote thermometer on one of the roasts to 165 degrees, by that time the thighs were the perfect 180 degrees.
Life seems shorter every year and the days of me dealing with the mess of a turkey carcass are over.;):D

Last edited:
Life seems shorter every year and the days of me dealing with the mess of a turkey carcass are over.;):D

I am going to boil the turkey carcass with aromatics before I go home from my parent's house. I'll take half of the stock, and leave half.

There is turkey-sausage gumbo in my near future. I'll grill/smoke some turkey meat to go into it when the time comes.

CD

I posted a message in the 'Out of the Back Yard', but I'd also like to send a message on this thread as well:

You're all very special people, with a sense of humanity and justice.

I've learned so much from you, many times, from things you don't say, but things that in your own way, make clear. You never put people down, but help them how to learn to reach the aims that they are looking for. You are always kind, and respect dignity that others need. Hang on to these maxims. You are wonderful people, and you help others, through the things you help us with to do the same things.

These are great gifts that you're blessed with. Don't let them slip away from you.

With great affection, di reston

Enough is never as a feast Oscar Wilde

The last dishwasher load is drying, all the hand washables are done and stuff is put away. We have enough turkey and fixings left for dinner tonight and plenty of desserts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom