The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NHA? Really? Will you be employed as a NHA?

I'm getting the certification, time will tell if I end up with the job. Sounds like something I can do when I get a bit older. I could conceivably work into my 70's, if my health holds up. I think it would be nice to have a nurse as an Administrator, we understand the work involved.

Not the sick room, not petty vents exactly. A comment between the two. Microscopic bugs that bite you. I don't like the idea of things causing itch bites that you can only see thru a microscope. They live in the grass outside my condo. According to Google results, they usually feed on the grass (next to my condo ground unit next to a golf course), but will feed off you when blown into your condo by the grounds crew stirring them up into the air. It's no wonder that you can buy finer meshed screens to keep them out.

I sprayed down a lot of area with alcohol, the sudden evaporation chill kills them. I didn't go so far as to place every piece of clothing in a bag and close it up for a month.

First time in my life I've had to deal with bugs that make you itch that you can't see.

Cold water wash supposedly kills them. I'm going to add ice cubes to my clothes washer for the next 3 washes.

It's been a bit more than two weeks since I eliminated nightshades from my diet. I was wondering if it was time to start reintroducing them one at a time. Well, I'm really glad I didn't. I seem to be having a flare. I need the cane even for walking two metres. I have to be very careful how I step or it hurts. If I had started reintroducing a food, I would have thought that it was a culprit. I did wonder if the improvement was coincidental with a flare being over. I guess I'm going to have to do this several times to get a good understanding of what does and doesn't affect the inflammation.
I started reintroducing hot peppers into my diet on Sunday. So far so good. No ill effects. They may actually be helping a bit. I am really, really pleased that I don't have to give up the hot peppers.
hapydancsmil.gif

Well, this is the last place I expected to find myself this morning. I went to the ER last night because of excruciating pain on my left rib cage, and they admitted me very early in the am with pneumonia. They gave me what they call breakfast. Everything on the plate looked like something familiar. It actually had a familiar taste too, from my childhood. White paste! Why is hospital food even worse than airline food? Why do they not even make an effort?

Thanks very much, TL

Apropos of nothing, are you familiar with a Japanese film called, in English, A Taxing Woman? It’s by the same filmmaker who brought us Tampopo. Very funny!

Thanks very much, TL

Apropos of nothing, are you familiar with a Japanese film called, in English, A Taxing Woman? It’s by the same filmmaker who brought us Tampopo. Very funny!
Nope, but I love Tampopo. It's one of my five all time favourite movies.

Three weeks ago:
Week One: Sinus stuffiness and headaches - OTC meds helped
Week Two: Viral Influenza - by then too late for an antiviral, sat it out at home for 1.5 days and over the weekend, sinuses still bothering me and my ears filled up with fluids, couldn't hear and my balance was thrown off.
Week Three: Went to work on Monday, no more fever, cough gone, but my ears still remained filled, really couldn't hear and I walked like I had two shots of alcohol. Yesterday, I finally went to the doctor, couldn't stand feeling like I was underwater with the hearing problem. Ear infection, both ears, the doctor said the only reason my ears didn't hurt was because the Sudafed I was taking was draining my ears slowly (and giving me a sore throat). One day of antibiotics and steroids, I can hear better, left ear still filled, but the steroids are interrupting my sleep.

So, here I am after two in the morning (woke at 12:30 am) and I need to be up and getting ready for work in 2.5 hours.
Think I will feed the animals and head for a restaurant breakfast...but, the only restaurant open all night is in Nebraska, about 21 miles away.

And how is everyone else doing this cold and windy morning?

Well, this is the last place I expected to find myself this morning. I went to the ER last night because of excruciating pain on my left rib cage, and they admitted me very early in the am with pneumonia. They gave me what they call breakfast. Everything on the plate looked like something familiar. It actually had a familiar taste too, from my childhood. White paste! Why is hospital food even worse than airline food? Why do they not even make an effort?

And my doctors wonder why I have lost weight. If you want to lose weight get admitted to a hospital. They have to feed folks with all kinds of allergies. Some no salt, others no seafood, certain veggies, those on coumadin, no green veggies, no sugar, no gluten, no lactose, etc. So the food is horrible. According to our taste buds. But for patients who have any allergies, are used to the taste of this wonderful food they bring us.

I used to pretend to be sleeping when I saw them delivering trays. Then when no one was around I would look at what I was given. Next I would turn over and go to sleep deliberately.

Sorry to hear about the pneumonia. I still have my cold, bringing up phlegm and now it has started to turn green. A definite sign of developing pneumonia. Guess I will have to let my new medical team know about that today. I really do not want to be in the hospital over Christmas. Their holiday meals are just as bad as their daily meals. Hurry up and get better.

Three weeks ago:
Week One: Sinus stuffiness and headaches - OTC meds helped
Week Two: Viral Influenza - by then too late for an antiviral, sat it out at home for 1.5 days and over the weekend, sinuses still bothering me and my ears filled up with fluids, couldn't hear and my balance was thrown off.
Week Three: Went to work on Monday, no more fever, cough gone, but my ears still remained filled, really couldn't hear and I walked like I had two shots of alcohol. Yesterday, I finally went to the doctor, couldn't stand feeling like I was underwater with the hearing problem. Ear infection, both ears, the doctor said the only reason my ears didn't hurt was because the Sudafed I was taking was draining my ears slowly (and giving me a sore throat). One day of antibiotics and steroids, I can hear better, left ear still filled, but the steroids are interrupting my sleep.

So, here I am after two in the morning (woke at 12:30 am) and I need to be up and getting ready for work in 2.5 hours.
Think I will feed the animals and head for a restaurant breakfast...but, the only restaurant open all night is in Nebraska, about 21 miles away.

And how is everyone else doing this cold and windy morning?

Oh dear! Please hurry up and tell us you are all better.

That is what is going on with my cough. Now I am bringing up light green phlegm. Other than that, I have to report that I really am feeling so much better. I am adjusting daily to what I can do and what I can't do with one leg.

Today I am going to meet my new medical team. I am actually looking forward to it. They have me listed as being seen "By Appointment Only". So when they called me yesterday, they asked me to set the day and time. I think I am going to love this place. Winthrop always demanded that I HAD to come in so they could just weight me or check my blood pressure.

I will be 80 years old in March. From this day forward I just want my life to be calm and uncluttered with someone else's rules and needs. It took Winthrop 12 years to finally accept the fact that I do have intelligence. I am not one of their Alzheimer patients. If I really need medical care immediately, I know how to dial 911. And this past year unfortunately, I had to do it quite often in 2018. And in the process, lost a leg.

Take care Princess. We all need and love you. I hope you will be spending Christmas with your family in their home. Nothing like go home to Mommy's cooking. Lots of hugs and kisses along with hurry and get all better flying your way.

Well, this is the last place I expected to find myself this morning. I went to the ER last night because of excruciating pain on my left rib cage, and they admitted me very early in the am with pneumonia...
You and Mark have to stop taking turns in the hospital! Seriously, though, I hope you and your lung are feeling better. Sorry about the sucky hospital food. I can't comment on recent offerings, but I remember not wanting to eat much when I was in after having our kids. Might have had something to do with post-op pain. ?

Sending best wishes to PF and Joel as well...ugh, it's never a good time to be under the weather, let alone during the Christmas holiday season. :wub:

Addie, hoping you're better soon, seriously. I have to say as well, sometimes I'm eating while reading posts here and I could do without hearing such details of the colors of your, ummm....we get it....I nearly gagged today. :(

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kind good wishes.

As far the the “cuisine” here, a couple of notes to no one in particular (I’m sure none of you all currently run a hospital kitchen):

English muffins are meant to be toasted! especially if they’re not fork-split!

Non-fat Italian salad dressing that’s filled with odd chemicals to make up for the flavor lost with the fat is probably worse for one than a decent vinaigrette made with olive oil, balsamic, and a few herbs and spices, or didn’t you get the memo? Olive oil is tasty and healthy! Even for cardiac patients!

If you cook sole until it’s actually tough, that’s quite an accomplishment! For Moses’ sake, sole is one of the ocean’s most delicate fish; how do you make it tough? Tan it first?

Nobody likes little boxes of orange juice, except maybe schoolkids and their moms. They make little plastic bottles, too. But of course you’d have serve those with actual adult cups.

Thank you all for your kind good wishes.

As far the the “cuisine” here, a couple of notes to no one in particular (I’m sure none of you all currently run a hospital kitchen):

English muffins are meant to be toasted! especially if they’re not fork-split!

Non-fat Italian salad dressing that’s filled with odd chemicals to make up for the flavor lost with the fat is probably worse for one than a decent vinaigrette made with olive oil, balsamic, and a few herbs and spices, or didn’t you get the memo? Olive oil is tasty and healthy! Even for cardiac patients!

If you cook sole until it’s actually tough, that’s quite an accomplishment! For Moses’ sake, sole is one of the ocean’s most delicate fish; how do you make it tough? Tan it first?

Nobody likes little boxes of orange juice, except maybe schoolkids and their moms. They make little plastic bottles, too. But of course you’d have serve those with actual adult cups.

ROFL!!!

I told the last hospital, after getting 2 stents in my heart, "If you serve me a diabetic/cardiac diet I will not eat." I even had my PCP write me an allergy to artificial sweeteners. Luckily I have/had my two favorite males (Shrek and my Dad) bring me food I could/would eat. I am definitely a non-compliant patient when it comes to what I eat.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I was actually able to taste what I ate yesterday, something that was missing for almost two weeks. My ears are draining and I can halfway hear. I was able to wear my Cpap, for the first time in almost three weeks, last night. On the mend and feeling better.

On Nov 27, my husband slipped on ice at the gas station and broke his hip. The next day he had surgery to repair the hip. The next morning he woke up with chest pains. They did tests including a catheterization and found that he had blocked arteries that were not stentable. He needed opn heart surgery. Before doing that, they checked his carotid arteries and found one blocked 90%, so that had to be taken care of, also.

After 2 weeks in the hospital in horrible pain, both the hip and his chest, he was moved to a nursing home from hell for rehab. The rehab was OK, but most of his time was spent in bed watching TV, when the TVs were working. They went out twice in one week. His first room mate was almost ready to go home so he was nice, but then they moved in a 96 year old man who was very hard of hearing and hollared night and day. DH was not able to sleep at all. He probably should have stayed there for another week, but just couldn't stand another minute of it, so he was discharged on Tuesday of this week and is home to recouperate, with nurses and physical therapist coming in. He is doing fairly well, but still has a lot of pain. He took care of me after 3 surgeries and now I'm returning the favor, but it's very hard, as my health is not great, and I have little to no help. His kids call, ask him how he is, he says he's good, and that it for a few more days. I don't dare complain, because they just say "You can do it." He needs sleep. I need sleep, but it seems we are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel and one day this will be all a memory.

I'm so sorry, Carol. What a horrible series of unfortunate events, and right before the holidays :( Would it work to ask his children for specific help rather than complain? Ask them to stop at the grocery store on the way over to see him, or to stay with him for an hour or two so you can run errands? Sometimes people need specific suggestions.

I hope he feels better soon and you can get some relief.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom