The "what are you listening to now" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Allison Young - "Fever" Peggy Lee Cover

Seem to be acquiring a collection of relatively unknown musicians who are first-rate musically as well as fun to watch and listen to.
Reina del Cid led me to Josh Turner who is passing it forward with an introduction to Allison Young. I first heard about Reina del Cid from a link on Paul Krugman's NYTimes newsletter. Like reading Playboy for the articles, I subscribe for the economic opinion but appreciate his musical recommendations just as much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_0XSTQ61UI

Ramblin' Jimmie Dolan - "Hot Rod Race"

Nice one LT. Bobby Bare is one of my favorites and 'bout time we got back to some down-home country.

Speakin' of which, when I was growing up in the '50s my parents had a family friend name of Jimmie Dolan. He was in the car business and serially owned various new car dealerships and used car lots. Sold a car to my folks every year or two and usually ended up coming to dinner to close a deal or mourn the breakup of a romantic involvement. Gave me a guitar in an old black case memorialized with names and dates and places, mostly of South Pacific islands it and he had been to during World War II. You see, before the war, and even more so after, he had some success in the music business. At one point in the early '50s he had a successful radio show sponsored by Sears Roebuck and Company. During a dispute of some kind with Sears, immediately after a commercial when he didn't know the mike was still hot, he called them a bunch of miserable cheap sonsof███████. That was the landmark event initiating his change of careers from music to the car business.

He's not completely forgotten though. Without further ado:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s7-z43Vvkc

For years now, every week I legally download 5 songs for free using my public library card through Freegal Music. For the past 18 weeks, I've downloaded all 89 tracks from Leadbelly - Selected Sides 1934-1948 (Remastered). Most every time I come to the end of something that, while looking for the next thing to add to my collection, I discover something brand new. Brand new to me that is. Neither Rachel Barton Pine nor Ozzy Osbourne is exactly in the wheelhouse of this old hillbilly. Nevertheless, I found the video below riveting and worth sharing here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAzWLdkq-Tc

In the spirot of erieness. I've been listening to old, somewhat disturbing songs such as: D.O.A
, by Bloodrock, and : There Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Ha.

Another old tme song that I pull up pn zyoutube os: Paranoid, by Grand Funk Railrod.

I highly recomrnd D.On
A. If you want a song that will realy set a spooky mood.

Gillian Welch - "Look At Miss Ohio"

I've sung praises for Reina del Cid here before. I look forward every Sunday to when she and her bandmate, Toni, put out their Sunday Morning with REINA DEL CID video. They're getting ready to tour their new record and today's song is a cover of Gillian Welch's "Look At Miss Ohio" with the whole touring band. So a guy is playing David Rawlings' guitar part on dobro and it just don't work for me at all.

Despite my love for Reina, I gotta play a live version of the original with David Rawlings on his 1935 Epiphone Olympic that sold new for $35.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDed6iuRMC8

Last edited:
"Dolly Parton's America" - A Nine Part Podcast

I think these are available on all the podcast platforms. I'm listening on Spotify where a new episode had been released every Tuesday beginning Oct. 15, 2019. I've only heard the first one so far but looking forward to the rest. The summaries below are from NPR's podcast site, where you can listen to each episode as well.

OCTOBER 15, 2019
Sad Ass Songs
We begin with a simple question: How did the queen of the boob joke become a feminist icon? Helen Morales, author of "Pilgrimage to Dollywood," gave us a stern directive – look at the lyrics! So we dive into Dolly's discography, starting with the early period of what Dolly calls "sad ass songs" to find remarkably prescient words of female pain, slut-shaming, domestic violence, and women being locked away in asylums by cheating husbands. We explore how Dolly took the centuries-old tradition of the Appalachian "murder ballad"—an oral tradition of men singing songs about brutally killing women—and flipped the script, singing from the woman's point of view. And as her career progresses, the songs expand beyond the pain to tell tales of leaving abuse behind. How can such pro-woman lyrics come from someone who despises the word feminism? Dolly explains.

OCTOBER 22, 2019
I Will Always Leave You
Porter Wagoner led the most successful country music television show of its time, and in 1967 he needed a new "girl singer." He turned to a 21 year old songwriter named Dolly Parton, who'd just recorded her first hit "Dumb Blonde." So began a nearly decade-long partnership that, behind the scenes, was as contentious as it was commercially successful. This episode tells the story of the "Porter years," the period during which Dolly arguably discovers her power - both as a performer and songwriter - and then makes the difficult (and radical for its time) decision to strike out on her own. Through interviews with Dolly, country music star Marty Stuart, Wagonmaster Buck Trent, and Porter's daughter Deborah Wagoner, we explore how Dolly handled what's sometimes called the great "hillbilly divorce" with such characteristic grace.

OCTOBER 29, 2019
Tennessee Mountain Trance
We journey into the Dollyverse dimension: "Tennessee Mountain Home."Like all law abiding Tennesseans, Jad grew up with the song on a loop. He hadn't planned to talk with Dolly about it, but much to his surprise, he is drawn into a Tennessee Mountain Trance. The trance opens a portal to many questions about country music, authenticity, nostalgia and belonging. And to a place called Dollywood. We visit the replica of Dolly's childhood cabin and find thousands of other pilgrims similarly entranced. Along the way, we meet Wandee Pryor, who lived in a Dolly dreamworld as a girl. And also, halfway around the world, Esther Konkara, the self-proclaimed "Kenyan Dolly Parton," who sings "Tennessee Mountain Home" as an ode to the hills of Nairobi - hills she has not yet left. The Tennessee Mountain home begins to seem like part of a Disney fairytale.But then, Jad and Shima get a call from Dolly's nephew and head of security Bryan Seaver, who makes an irresistible offer.

And since a YouTube link is practically obligatory in this thread, here's a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Bg_bKsq-w

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom