Thoughts on wood for kitchen countertops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I worked at Amoretti, we had two of these butcher block tables in the test kitchen:
7b575763f466a585fa47bb178a24fe59.jpg

They had to be cleaned and teated with Boos cleaner and conditioner constantly, but we had several people to do that task. Too labor intensive for MY kitchen, to be sure.

I would definitely not recommend wooden counter-tops, ok for the rest, but not the work tops! How long would they last? 😏
It basically depends on how much you want to spend, I think quartz, granite, marble are resistant and durable.

Hi Jade!

When I moved into my 1932 Farm house 16 years ago the counters were texturized 12" Floor tiles! (Photo with green countertop from first walk through) I decided to bake a loaf of bread to ceremonially make it my home and the dough lifted the tile and grout. Welcome home?!?! Change needed...
DSC_0834 2.jpg

Since the Amish made kitchen cabinets were Cherry I went for American Cherry (very soft wood, oriented to edge grain) for my countertops and to wrap the fridge and make the handles. Here is what they look like after 15 years. (No cutting on the Countertops though)
IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

Not for everyone I'm sure as you can leave an indentation with a fingernail! I have enough cutting boards so I don't cut on the counters. I do use this cart I had the Amish make for my cutting needs.
IMG_1172.jpg

5" thick, end grain, Maple butcher block on Cherry cabinet with Hickory support. The wheels are Maple too, Amish embellishment.
6" third pan for prep scraps then holds finished ingredients. Roll to sink for prep then roll to stove for cooking. I like a movable island.

This set up is great for me. I expected more damage, as others have speculated, but I haven't had any maintenance (I have only wiped these with towels for 15 years) or any damage issues and the way it looks makes me feel good, every day! I love wood! After 15 years it appears it will last a while longer, even with neglecting maintenance.

As always, every choice has Pros and Cons.

So, what surface would give you the greatest pleasure to see every morning?

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

I loved my tile counter tops. At one point I also would have loved wood but was shouted down. No one would believe me when I said they would be just fine.
Glad it worked for you.

Did mention somewhere? My dream kitchen will have wood, tile and marble and probably another type as well.
Wood for baking, tile for general, and marble for candy. and then this and a little bit of that. Plus over there I'll have a ... but don't forget the ... will be installed as well. sigh..... dreams, dreaming ... dream on....

Did mention somewhere? My dream kitchen will have wood, tile and marble and probably another type as well.
Wood for baking, tile for general, and marble for candy. and then this and a little bit of that. Plus over there I'll have a ... but don't forget the ... will be installed as well. sigh..... dreams, dreaming ... dream on....
And over here will be the don’t get me started counter. 🤣

My dream kitchen would have a floor... After moving in 6 years ago, I had to take up the most revolting carpet (yes, carpet) you ever saw in my kitchen. Underneath it turned out was raw concrete with some lumps and cracks. They remain. I think there is a problem with the damp proof course because moisture is coming in from outside, so that needs to be fixed before the floor can be resurfaced and then some sort of flooring put down... * sigh * At least I managed to block the slugs from coming in... (put a fine gauge grid over the air brick on the outside.) Before that, I found silvery lines all over the floor every morning!

I may chuckle but I feel for you Katy. Finding silvery lines would not be my ultimate choice in my dream kitchen!
Oh, it's even worse than that Dragn. One time, in my bare feet, I walked across the floor in the very early morning and stepped on a slug. Makes me feel ill even now, to think about what that felt like underfoot.:sick:

(That's when I put the fine mesh over the air brick!)

Normally I would have been pretty upset by that. So now I've discovered at least one good point for lack of feeling in my feet due to the neuropathy... I probably would not have noticed.

Might have noticed later the "icky, icky, icky" squeak of my footsteps later on...

Back
Top Bottom