To use spices or not, and if yes, how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i'm about to make flattened [very thin] chicken thighs on charcoals.
do you think i need to put a dry rub in a bowl along with oil and rub the chicken before making it?

or perhaps another method?

i don't want the spices to burn.

perhaps even not using spices besides salt and pepper?

what do you think

pople here buy a lot of flattened thighs. it very nice

When you write "on charcoals", what do you mean exactly? Are you going to lay the chicken thighs directly on the charcoal? Are you going to cook the chicken on a grate over charcoal? Something else?

Assuming you mean a charcoal grill...
There are many many ways. With spices as dry rub, or without.
Marinated, or without

I think the more important question is if you have cooked over charcoal before?
If not, then chicken may not be the easiest to start of with

Also assuming a charcoal grill. with very thin meat, rubbed with oiled, I would be very careful of burning. Concern about the spices would be the last thing I'd think of. Depending on the spices as to when you add them.
Use indirect heat, else the outside will cook/burn before the inside has a chance to cook. This way the spices could be as you would do them normally. IMHO

Assuming you mean a charcoal grill...
There are many many ways. With spices as dry rub, or without.
Marinated, or without

I think the more important question is if you have cooked over charcoal before?
If not, then chicken may not be the easiest to start of with
yes i did
do you mean because of sticking?

Also assuming a charcoal grill. with very thin meat, rubbed with oiled, I would be very careful of burning. Concern about the spices would be the last thing I'd think of. Depending on the spices as to when you add them.
Use indirect heat, else the outside will cook/burn before the inside has a chance to cook. This way the spices could be as you would do them normally. IMHO
so this time i will make in with being on the grill over the coals but around the coals so it will get done inside well

If you know what herbs and/or spices you wish to use, make amarinade containing those seasonings and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 4 to 8 hours before grilling it. Marinating for over 8 hours could turn your chicken to mush.

I’d rethink flattening them.
id brine them and season with whatever appeals to you
of the few times i brined chicken. it always got stuck to the grill badly.
and was not tasty also

so i don't like brined chicken.

i like flattened tights because there is more surface revealed to caramelize.

perhaps we like different things or maybe we havn't tasted one another foods

Well, guess I go back to the "indirect" heat, as in coals to one side. Not that I do a lot of grilling anymore, but if I remember correctly, should the grill be too hot (as in direct) then I found there was more chance of sticking.

i see!

anyhow to butcher recommended me to take chicken fillets at the end.
much much shorter grilling time and also a lot of caramelization.

the hummus and that will make it not dry.

i also plan making roasted potatoes like these but with oil and not fat as a replacement to fries.. i also plan to cut the potatoes smaller and roast less time because of that.

Nice and yummy! But pay attention so as not to dry them out. You want the potatoes to still be soft and creamy inside, while crispy outside. Any smaller and you might as well just make french fries.

yes i did
do you mean because of sticking?
No not sticking, although that can happen, but is normally caused by trying to turn them to quickly.

Chicken needs to be cooked to a safe internal temperature to prevent salmonella.
A lot of people use too high temperature and burn the outside before the inside is cooked.
It takes a bit of experience and indirect cooking helps a lot.
Fillets are not an issue, but I thought you were talking about bigger, bone in, chicken.

As for brining: it really makes for tender chicken. Give it a try again, but get the chicken out of the brine before grilling. A couple of hours will do.
The outside will dry out and cook without sticking.
You can try it with a piece of fillet as well (I like a 3% brine, more than that is too salty for me)

Not big on wet brining and have quit doing it. It changes the texture of meat. I dry brine every single time. When I'm cooking meats I always season with S&P along with spices and dried herbs. I guess that would be called a quick dry brine.
I'm not frugal with them. I like the results.
Chicken thighs will not overcook as fast as white meat. If you want to be exact use an instant read thermometer. Season the heck out of them. Make a rub, buy a rub or just pick out some spices from your cabinet and apply to oiled up thighs.
Heat your grate very well, scrape/brush it and oil it. Then grill away. I always leave a cool spot (no coals) so I can move things over if needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom