Turkey breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I have this turkey breast. No skin, no bones. Any suggestions on how to cook. I was thinking to use oven. But concern about meat getting dry. Putting in the oven early in the morning.
Please advise.

I have this turkey breast. No skin, no bones. Any suggestions on how to cook. I was thinking to use oven. But concern about meat getting dry. Putting in the oven early in the morning.
Please advise.
I have only cooked turkey breast once (not counting a whole turkey). It was also skinless boneless turkey breast. I roasted it for a recipe for a "Hot Brown Sandwich". I'll give you a link to the recipe for the sandwich. You can ignore everything other than the part about the turkey breast. I remember the turkey breast and breast leftovers tasting really good and fine for sandwiches. Here's the link to the recipe:

I just noticed that the instructions are not written out. I wrote them down while watching the video. So, to make things simpler I will copy and paste the ingredients for the turkey breast portion. I will copy and paste the instructions that I wrote in my own words, from watching the video.

Ingredients for the turkey (enough for 4 portions):
1 teaspoon oil or butter to grease baking dish
2 pound boneless turkey breast
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon herbs de Provence, or other dried/fresh herbs of your choice

To roast the turkey breast:
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Salt and pepper both sides. Add some herbs de Provence (or similar) to the side that had the bones.
Place the turkey breast, "skin side" up, in a buttered or oiled baking dish.
Roast to an internal temperature of 148°F (just shy of 65°C), that's 45-60* minutes.

*My notes say, "The turkey breast was skinless. It cooked more quickly than expected, but was still moist enough for this."

I would cover the turkey breast with water and poach/simmer covered for 45-60 minutes.

You could add some vegetables for extra flavor and serve it as a boiled dinner or let it cool in the broth, remove from broth, and refrigerate for sandwiches, casseroles, etc…

Save the broth for soup!

You could also season the turkey breast, wrap it in foil and bake it. The foil wrap will allow it to stew in its own juice and help to keep it moist.

Last edited:
I'd probably cover it with a can of cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup, put a lid on the pan and bake it, and then serve it over rice with steamed broccoli.

Charlie, what do you want to use the turkey breast for? Supper? Sandwiches? As an ingredient in something else?

Brine it for 4-6 hours

roast it in a 375 oven until it hits 158

Let it rest for 15 min. The temp will climb to over 165 while it rests

it will be juicy and delicious

Charlie, what do you want to use the turkey breast for? Supper? Sandwiches? As an ingredient in something else?
Yes, I was also curious about how big it is and when it's going to be consumed. I wouldn't be putting it in the oven early morning if it's for dinner tomorrow night. Maybe a whole bird but a breast shouldn't take long. Heck, if it's not too huge I might consider a large slow cooker/crockpot.

Brine it for 4-6 hours

roast it in a 375 oven until it hits 158

Let it rest for 15 min. The temp will climb to over 165 while it rests

it will be juicy and delicious
Doesn't sound like he's going to have time to brine if it's going in the oven early morning (it's already early morning EST).

Doesn't sound like he's going to have time to brine if it's going in the oven early morning (it's already early morning EST).
Yeah, I’m in Japan and not thinking

id still brine it for 2 hours and roast, though. IMO roasting will give you the most flavorful meat.

Stove-top smoker! Turkey! Sounds great! Might have to try that.

I have not used my smoker since my move.:( I'm afraid to use it on my induction burner so I'll have to plan it very carefully for doing it upstairs on the gas stove.

What did you spice it with msmofet? and what wood did you use?

I copied a recipe from either ATK or Cook's Country for porchetta style turkey breast a while back. I didn't post last night because it requires some ingredients Charlie probably doesn’t have on hand. It's Kosher if you replace the butter with margarine. Craig and I were talking the other day about Thanksgiving and that recipe is definitely in the running.

To answer few questions. It is 6.8 pounds. It is kosher so it’s been already brined. Maybe not for 5 hours, but still. It is a part of Kashering process. I’m using it for lunch. Side dish, gravy. Sliced pieces of turkey.
Thank you everyone for helping.

image.jpg

Stove-top smoker! Turkey! Sounds great! Might have to try that.

I have not used my smoker since my move.:( I'm afraid to use it on my induction burner so I'll have to plan it very carefully for doing it upstairs on the gas stove.

What did you spice it with msmofet? and what wood did you use?
My all purpose seasoning, poultry seasoning. Mesquite and hickory for smoke.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom