Unique groceries you buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miso is awesome, and I use Hosin often (try glazing a corned beef flat with some ).

I guess I don't look at anything as weird, just something I haven't tried yet

Roquefort Mustard (quite good, and I use it in Rainee's beer marinade in place of the regular mustard)
Broccolini looks like anorexic broccoli, fabulous tasting!

right now it seems everyone out here has loquats on their trees. The problem is that I don't know any of the folks with trees! It's one of my favorite fruits, but I can't find them in stores, as they perish quickly.

luvs, miso soup is one of my favorites. The strangest thing I bought recently was toffutti better than cream cheese. It tastes just like cream cheese. I like to spread it on crackers and top it with smoked salmon. Yum!!

prod_nonhydro_creamcheese.gif

Yesterday i bought purple cauliflower for fun for my 5 year old but it was just normal cauliflower dyed which just seems wrong!! It stained my dish when I microwaved it!!:)
PS 5yr old didn't really like it but my 67yr old father did. lol

As a classic example of an acquired taste:

Vegemite !
jar_1960.jpg

I lived in Oz for many years and came to really enjoy this stuff. I know most people would taste it and think it foul, but I get occasional cravings for it (thinly smeared on toast with melted cheese and freshly cracked pepper on top)... Mmmm :-p

The Z said:
As a classic example of an acquired taste:

Vegemite !
jar_1960.jpg

I lived in Oz for many years and came to really enjoy this stuff. I know most people would taste it and think it foul, but I get occasional cravings for it (thinly smeared on toast with melted cheese and freshly cracked pepper on top)... Mmmm :-p

i LOVE vegemite on toast w/ butter, even though i'm American and people don't usually eat it over here.

This is to Luvs and The Z - ya'll are nuts :mrgreen:

A friend in Australia sent me some one time - she warned me first!!!!! She also sent me some Vegemite crackers - they were actually pretty good!!!! ....and TimTams - dang those were good!

kitchenelf said:
This is to Luvs and The Z - ya'll are nuts :mrgreen:

That's what I've been trying to TELL you!!! :wacko:

Honestly, though, I think most people who try it are not ready for the intensity and the uniqueness of the flavor. People in the US are used to slathering the peanut butter on nice and thick. It takes a while to get used to the required portion of Vegemite for the desired result. It's really nice, but a little bit goes a long way.

Oh, and yes, Tim Tams are :-p :-p :-p

tee-hee, elf, my whole family thinks i'm nuts for eating vegemite but it's so good!:LOL:
gotta go look up timtams and see what they are.

luvs_food said:
tee-hee, elf, my whole family thinks i'm nuts for eating vegemite but it's so good!:LOL:
gotta go look up timtams and see what they are.
I have just made vegemite toast for my hubby and daughter for breakfast!! I personally HATE it!!! It is a very love/hate thing and you have to smear it on very lightly. My mum used to darken and flavour gravy with a little bit of vegemite.
Tim Tams are great!! I buy them almost weekly. They are really good if you dip the end in your coffee then suck out the middle!! I can't believe you don't have them in the US, I thought you had everything.

I've found some wonderful things to try at the market I frequent. They are forever passing out tastes of this and that. I picked up some Italian caramel cream..It's mascarpone with caramel. I bought some plum fruit paste and dried fig spread. I tried the fig spread as a glaze on a pork tenderloin and we all loved it. My kids love the caralmel cream on sliced apples and pears and I want to try filling some cannoli with it. The plun fruit past was served at the store on top of slices of cheese. Haven't tried it at home yet.

kadesma:)

kads, i love fruit paste. i buy the pear kind and put it on caPeachios crackers w/ cheese. i like brie or bleu w/ it.
i've seen the fig paste in the store but it's a different brand than the pear paste i buy. haven't tried that yet.
bang, i love anchovies. they're so SALTY, though. i use them in ceaser dressing a lot.
tee-hee, my parents brought home some of that insanity sauce when they were travelling and my buddy poured it over some spicy diritoes in excessive amounts. ridiculous amounts. lets just say he learned not to eat so much hot sauce that night.

luvs_food said:
tee-hee, my parents brought home some of that insanity sauce when they were travelling and my buddy poured it over some spicy diritoes in excessive amounts. ridiculous amounts. lets just say he learned not to eat so much hot sauce that night.

:ROFLMAO: .....hot sauces can be dangerous.

Vegemite is but a pale imitation of

MARMITE :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have that argument every time I go to Australia! Vegemite is for sale in all our supermarkets, probably because so many Aussies live here! Marmite sells with the 'Love it/Hate it?' question - because it IS an acquired taste like Vegemite! Here's the Marmite homepage
http://www.marmite.co.uk/

My niece (from Aus) lived with us for a year when she first came over to live and work. My sister used to send her food parcels with TimTams.... And every single friend who came over was tasked to bring TimTams! Woe betide them if they turned up without a stash!

Last edited:
Do you have promite? I actually like that!
I got a packet of Tim Tams today they were on special at Coles, I will think of you all when I eat them!:)

Ok luvs, I could have sworn I managed to get some kind of banana that was more for cooking than for eating raw. I guess I was mistaken. That was 8 years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom