Using a hibachi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was in college, everyone had those cast iron hibachis. I only had a single grill hibachi. It was heavy, durable, and took its share of abuse. A mover lost it during one of my many, many moves. Sometimes, I do rather miss it. Nowadays, they seem to be much more expensive. I believe I bought mine at Woolsworth for penny's on the pound at the end of summer.

1691177608619.jpeg
That was then, this is now.
1691177710799.jpeg
Progress? 🤔🤭😉

Here in Australia, every year when the new season of MasterChef comes on, the contestants seem to favour some new “gadget” or recipe item that becomes ubiquitous throughout the show (sponsored?).
A few years ago it was ice cream makers, then the blast chiller, macarons etc. This year it was the hibachi, like the ones in my link. It seemed like an episode couldn’t go by without someone creating some crazy food that simply had to be done on the hibachi because they were being creative.
Many home cooks went out and bought one so they too would be MasterChef!
These hibachi’s will be littering thrift stores in a short while, just like the glut of ice cream makers and bread machines from seasons past.
I’m not a fan of appliances with limited purpose, for me there’s always a way to make something with more useful kitchen tools.

Yeah, but you could hit the thrift stores later and score a bunch of useless appliances to play with.

But ice cream maker's can't be considered limited purpose, you can make sorbets and sherbets in them as well - :bangin: OK! OK! don't hit me anymore!

Reading "Master Chef" in this topic made me sit up and take notice. It is the brand of propane grill I have. It's a store brand of Canadian Tire. It worked well enough for nine years. Last year a piece fell off the back or underside because it was so badly rusted. If I ever manage to get any danged charcoal I intend to use the grate in that grill, which has a lid, as the support surface for my hibachi. I am not up for putting it on the ground and bending over to use it, as I have done many times in the past.

Yeah, but you could hit the thrift stores later and score a bunch of useless appliances to play with.

But ice cream maker's can't be considered limited purpose, you can make sorbets and sherbets in them as well - :bangin: OK! OK! don't hit me anymore!

Gelato, Italian Ices, and a plethora of adult concoctions. Brandy Alexandra mixed to a hard chill with vanilla ice cream.... for example.

Back
Top Bottom