Using a hibachi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, either for me as well.
Chose which ever packaging was appropriate. Would only buy small amounts as never wanted to keep it around.

I prefer natural lump charcoal.

At this point in my life I would probably buy one of the all inclusive instant light charcoal products in an effort to reduce the cost and inconvenience of storing multiple products.

A bit of charcoal trivia.
  • kfd-kingsfordcountry-09_0812_004.jpg
    The history of grilling at Kingsford is a classic American story. It all started in 1919 when Edward G. Kingsford helped Henry Ford procure a stretch of timberland to supply wood for his auto plants.
    kfd-kingsfordcountry-14_1021_013.jpg
    Mr. Ford wondered if all the wood waste generated by his sawmill and plants could be put to better use, and found his answer in a new process for pressing blocks of reconstituted char. While the innovative charcoal briquet was initially marketed under Ford’s own brand, it was eventually renamed Kingsford® Charcoal in Edward’s honor. The rest, as they say, is history.

Last edited:
Lumps can be broken down.
I have tried that with big lumps in the past. I get dirty and they can be hard to break into decent sized pieces. I usually only managed to break off little pieces. The one time I tried smash it with a rock, it broke into many small pieces.

Grilling with live fire is a dirty business. Be glad you live in an era when you don't have to go into the forest to cut wood and drag it back to the house and build a fire in your wall-sized fireplace in your house.

2023-07-21-13-30-38-660.jpg

Grilling with live fire is a dirty business. Be glad you live in an era when you don't have to go into the forest to cut wood and drag it back to the house and build a fire in your wall-sized fireplace in your house.

View attachment 65290
For a few years I lived in an old log cabin. We did have electricity and used it for cooking. But, I did "... go into the forest to cut wood and drag it back to the house and build a fire ...". We heated with wood. It was standing dead wood. If I had been cutting down live trees, they wouldn't have been much use in heating until the next year. I used a bow saw to cut down the trees and to cut them into suitable size for the 50 gallon drum wood stove.

Off topic somewhat, but I would strongly suggest doing some research before buying a hibachi.
Many of the less expensive ones crack open after just a few uses. There are also some electric versions available, which completely defeats the purpose - they are a charcoal grill!!

I've never heard of that happening Jade, but I can certainly see the possibility! Cheaply made cast iron could do it.
But, back in the day, (60's) our friends and ourselves had those cast iron hibachi's. They were very handy, portable and did the job. Other grills were usually home built brick and stone fireplaces in back yards. They were much more popular than other types of grills (metal ones on legs) which were usually wobbly and didn't last too long.
I can see them make a come back. ;)

The ones I have heard this about are usually made of a ceramic material. Cast iron is not something I have yet come across, but then I haven’t really been looking 🫠

Thanks, have never seen one before.
Can fully understand how and why they would split.
Would just take one little air bubble inside the clay to do it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom