Water bath canning a mushroom pate topped with a layer of olive oil on the top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shane2021

Assistant Cook
Hi guys,

I want to make a mushroom pate. I'd usually pour some olive oil on top and that creates a seal and then I'd store it in the fridge. If I were to do the same but then put it in a water bath and boil for 10 minutes, will the oxygen escape through the oil? I'm concerned that the bottle could explode if it has oil in it. Is it necessary to water bath this product. Any info much appreciated, thanks in advance.

I really doubt that it is safe to water bath can any kind of pate. I don't believe it can possibly have a low enough pH that there isn't a risk of botulism.

Quick answer, with no scientific quotes:-

absolutely not - the meat cannot be preserved in a water bath. Only in a pressure cooker at a specific temperature for a specific time.

better to do as normal then freeze. Or invite friends over and pig out!

Quick answer, with no scientific quotes:-

absolutely not - the meat cannot be preserved in a water bath. Only in a pressure cooker at a specific temperature for a specific time.

better to do as normal then freeze. Or invite friends over and pig out!

I have seen recipes for vegi pates. The OP only wrote that it is a mushroom pate, so I don't know if there is meat in it. I guess I should have noted that if there is meat in that pate that it absolutely requires pressure canning.

Right, I stand corrected, wrongfully assumed it was meat.

But as taxy has said, the acidic/sugar value which makes canning jams/jellies/pickles is not really present in a mushroom pate.

shane, you also were asking about single lids, etc. If it is for this pate, my answer pretty much stays the same. Your pate should be good in the fridge for quite some time.

I can only suggest not to make more than you can consume in a reasonable time frame.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom