Is watermelon with black seeds healthier than other watermelon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello there again. I heard that watermelon with black seeds in it is healthier then other watermelons or different types of watermelon. Is this true?

watermelon with black seeds healthier than other watermelon?​

No but they taste better. The hybridizing involved in watermelon with not or fewer seeds has affected sweetness and color meaningfully and negatively.

we only eat watermelon when it is available and that is not very often. I've never taste tested one against the other. It might be a fun test to try this summer.
I've never read that one is more nutritious than the other, but it's possible.

I think the regular seeded watermelons have better flavor and texture generally as compared to their seedless competition. But I think the seedless ones have been improving, especially the last two years.

The trick is to get the flesh to ripen before the seeds have formed up and they seem to have got the plant behavior down now. Because no melon is truly seedless.

As to health, you'll have to be specific about what attributes you think are healthy. I think they're interchangeable in all the general attributes.

They are definitely more fun!

1684697312554.jpeg

Back, before all these hybrids and genetically modified stuff, black seeds meant that water melon is ripe. What it means now I do not know.

Only contest I ever won with spitting those pesky seeds was being the first to get a slap up the back of my head for spitting them into Great Aunt Jeanettes' vegetable garden.

The presence of black seeds in watermelon does not significantly affect its overall nutritional value or healthiness. Both black-seeded and seedless watermelons offer similar nutritional benefits and are healthy choices. The key nutrients and health benefits of watermelon. The main difference is the convenience of eating seedless watermelon, as you don't have to spit out or discard the seeds. Some people prefer the texture and taste of one over the other, but from a nutritional perspective, both types are healthy choices as part of a balanced diet.

I asked this question of both seeded and seedless watermelons and, by a large margin, the seeded watermelons said they felt extremely healthy, while their seedless counterparts said they felt like they'd had an involuntary vascectomy and they were sick about it.

Last edited:
I have to agree about their tasting better, though. These days I can't find any watermelon with black seeds. It's very frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom