Wednesday, 2024 May 22 midweek supper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I made

I also made some coleslaw. I served it on some brown basmati rice that I pulled out of the freezer and threw some corn kernels in with the rice. I used hot dogs and bacon lardons as the meat. I used black strap molasses instead of brown sugar. The molasses has far greater depth of flavour.

I enjoyed that enough that I ate too much. I have another serving of the pork and beans and maybe two more servings of the coleslaw.

Stove top beans, brown basmati rice with corn, and coleslaw.jpg

I had rice and beans tonight, too. More of a TexMex flavor. Ranch Style beans, and rice, with some of my homemade chili powder and some granulated garlic. Some low moisture mozzarella (the only cheese I had at the moment) and a few shots of Crystal hot sauce at the end.

I hope it doesn't get too "windy" in here later tonight.

CD

I made another one of those one dish meals in the Instant Pot, and another one of those Italian style dishes, to use up a bunch of that basil from the hydroponics, and use up a bunch of things from the fridge - a couple bell peppers, a generous cup of celery, chopped up, that cooked rice/millet mix, leftover from that Szechwan eggplant meal, and some kielbasa, I wanted to use.

I started it by cooking a generous cup of dried red kidney beans with 1.75 oz dried eggplant (about 1¼ lbs fresh), with 3 c water and a little salt - pressure cooked those 20 min, letting it release naturally. I cut up a large onion, 2 bell peppers, and a generous cup of celery, and minced 5 cloves garlic, with about 3 tb fresh marjoram and 2 tb rosemary, some of the basil, and cut 10 oz turkey kielbasa into pieces. I fluffed up that cooked rice - had a little under 3 c. (looks like a lot more in the end!). And opened two 28 oz cans tomatoes - one diced, and one crushed. Everything ready by the time the pressure dropped.

Drained the beans and eggplant, rinsed the pot, then added the onion and about 3 tb olive oil, and cooked on Sauté about 5 min, added the bell peppers, celery, and kielbasa, and cooked another 5 min, then added the garlic and herbs, and about 2 tb tomato paste, and cooked about 3 minutes longer. Then I stirred in the tomatoes, beans and eggplant, a tsp of hot pepper flakes and the first bit of basil, plus about 1/2 c white vermouth. I then pressure cooked it 5 more min, letting it release naturally. Then I stirred in the cooked rice/millet mix, salted to taste, let it simmer another 10 minutes, to thicken it, stirred in a generous chopped cup of basil, and it was ready. I served it with some grated Asiago cheese. About 3½ qts leftover!
Finished Italian type dish, again, this with some rosemary, marjoram, and garlic minced together, with a lot of basil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Italian style dish, before topping with a little grated Asiago cheese. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom