What annoys you the most about cell phones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's what I don't like:

#1) The instant contact with someone else. Practically every day that I work, PeppA, my other half, starts calling my phone (which I leave in my locker) to see if I'm on my way home. On days where I get out in the afternoon, I may want to go run some errands, or stop someplace and try to swing my metal detector, see some friends, etc. Instead, she'll call me and insist that I come straight home. There are times I either won't answer my phone, or just turn the darn thing off.

#2) Contracts. I can't stand them. They're just a way for the company to pull more money out of you than you actually need to pay.

I use a pre-paid Boost Phone. I buy, on average, one $20 airtime card once every two months. That's $10/month for service, no contract, no extra fees if I can't afford more time, etc.

Guess Buck and I haven't joined the communication junkies. We've had a TracFone for about 3 years and only use it if one or the other of us is away. Otherwise it sits in a cabinet in the kitchen. We spend about $6 per month and have almost 3 hours of unused minutes on it at the moment.

We consider our cell phone to be an emergency tool rather than an instrument of communication. We enjoy a phone conversation as much as the next person, but we're not married to our telephone...cell or otherwise.

As a matter of fact, we turn off our phone at home when we go to bed. If anyone needs to reach us in an emergency, we're easy to find. Have been doing this for nearly 20 years with no problems.

I work for one of the major cell phone companies and trust me, I have seen it all and what is worse, I truly hate the misuse of our product, but think it is one of the best inventions ever.

I hate to see 2 people out on a date or outing and one is sitting there or walking while the other is chatting on the phone to someone else... RUDE!!!

Loud talking, loud ringers, basic cell phone etiquette????

Seeing people so INVOLVED texting or whatever it is they are doing that they don't pay attention what they are doing.

kids-bikes-cell phones..... BIG NO NO!

i had one because i needed it for the hotel i worked for
as soon as i left the place the phone was in the toilet:angel:
lol
i had so many dead batteries:ROFLMAO:

OH one other thing.... all those people who walk around all day with one of those do-hickeys stuck to their ear!!! And they take a call and just start talking when you were talking to them!!! ARGGGGHHH!!

My cell phone beef -

people carrying on conversations on their cells in the elevator with me
text messaging or talking while driving
talking in your cell phone in the grocery - it totaly ruins my happy zen grocery shopping time and ticks me off!

The dropped calls.

People talking on the phone in the theater/restaraunt etc...

People ignorig their kids 'cause they're too busy gabbing about
who said what about whom the night before.

Trying to wait on a customer who's too busy takling to tell you what
they want when there's a line of other people behind them.

My sister carries her cell phone everywhere but never turns it on because she wasn't expecting a call.

I really appreciate those Dr.'s and Dentists' offices kindly requesting you to turn off your cell phone before the visit. Can you imagine in the middle of a gyn exam or a dental procedure, a patient answering a phone? In a juevenile traffic court in Houston, TX (my 16 year old daughter got caught speeding--duh-uh), one of the judges actually had the bailiff announce that if anyone's cell phone went off during the proceedings they would be held in contempt and spend a night in jail. Never saw so many phones being whipped out and movement of fingers!!!!

A neighbor/cop told me of this safety procedure when driving with cell phone users behind you. When the driver in front of you signals a turn or brake lights come on, you do the same, so that the potential cell phone user behind you sees you and will slow down, too, even if you really don't intend to turn left or right. Then after the car makes its turn click off your signal. At least I've never been rearended using this method. And we know how many people are out there driving without insurance.

expatgirl said:
I really appreciate those Dr.'s and Dentists' offices kindly requesting you to turn off your cell phone before the visit. Can you imagine in the middle of a gyn exam or a dental procedure, a patient answering a phone? In a juevenile traffic court in Houston, TX (my 16 year old daughter got caught speeding--duh-uh), one of the judges actually had the bailiff announce that if anyone's cell phone went off during the proceedings they would be held in contempt and spend a night in jail. Never saw so many phones being whipped out and movement of fingers!!!!

A neighbor/cop told me of this safety procedure when driving with cell phone users behind you. When the driver in front of you signals a turn or brake lights come on, you do the same, so that the potential cell phone user behind you sees you and will slow down, too, even if you really don't intend to turn left or right. Then after the car makes its turn click off your signal. At least I've never been rearended using this method. And we know how many people are out there driving without insurance.

You just reminded me of accident I had when my mother and i had been to Farmer's Market w/all wonderful produce in the back.

We were on main highway and had to stop suddenly for construction project due to man holding sign to stop. Evidently happened fairly quickly as when I applied my brakes, guy behind us didn't. He admitted he had dropped his phone and reached down to get it. I will never forget having to throw most of the produce away due to damage to the back.

Just another reason I hate those phones. Another reason to be stressed when driving. If other driver isn't eating he is on the phone.

I've seen a couple of things lately that are very disturbing about cell phones. One ladies' ex had wired one with charging abilities to her car and knew everywhere she went and what she was doing. I think that was on dateline or a similar program. On the news this morning was a report about hackers being able to access your phone and send you nasty messages. I realize these things won't happen to most of us, but it is wise to know what is possible. Some of the things could be more than aggravating.

Corey123 said:
What are your most annoying pet peeves about cell phones? Come here and let everyone know.

Mine are as follows;

1. People who talk on cell phones while I'm in the theater trying to watch a movie.

2. Dropped calls due to a signal loss in certain areas.

3. Cities, towns or states that don't offer coverage and you're stuck being unable to talk to friends and family.

4. Those aggravating and annoying phone cards that force you to keep on buying them to keep your service on, or you'll end up getting cut off in the middle of a conversation. I'll NEVER go back to that ever again!!!

5. Not being able to use the cell phone while on or in the subway.:mad:

I think you forgot one, Inexperienced drivers driving over the speed limit, not signalling and talking on the cell phone without a hands free device.

those bluetooth things are the wierdest to me. Until I see the device hooked over their ear I think I'm witnessing a crazy person talking to himself/herself.

Sadly, getting more common now. I guess they're handy when you need your hands free to text message or look up something on the internet on your other cell phone.

mudbug said:
those bluetooth things are the wierdest to me. Until I see the device hooked over their ear I think I'm witnessing a crazy person talking to himself/herself.

Sadly, getting more common now. I guess they're handy when you need your hands free to text message or look up something on the internet on your other cell phone.
Weird they may be but they also protect the user from radiation.:)

My dw and I bought one of those "family plans". We find we're roaming out of our calling area alot. But the fees are affordable.;)

can_string.jpg

expatgirl said:
I really appreciate those Dr.'s and Dentists' offices kindly requesting you to turn off your cell phone before the visit. Can you imagine in the middle of a gyn exam or a dental procedure, a patient answering a phone?

Believe it or not, my (former) doctor took a call on his cell during my doctor visit with him.... I was dumbfounded!

OnlineCooking said:
I think you forgot one, Inexperienced drivers driving over the speed limit, not signalling and talking on the cell phone without a hands free device.

And how about those same drivers who will complain at you and b**** you out for THEIR stupidity, when THEY are the ones in the wrong for being on the cell phone while driving in the first place!!

True quam? Definitely not!

licia said:
I've seen a couple of things lately that are very disturbing about cell phones. One ladies' ex had wired one with charging abilities to her car and knew everywhere she went and what she was doing. I think that was on dateline or a similar program. On the news this morning was a report about hackers being able to access your phone and send you nasty messages. I realize these things won't happen to most of us, but it is wise to know what is possible. Some of the things could be more than aggravating.

This reminds me of how you know you are having a bad day - - - - When NBC Dateline News calls YOU for an interview - oy, those people NEVER give up!:LOL:

KE: Hello?

DNBC: Hi, This is Christina from Dateline NBC News

KE: Yea, right

DNBC: Here's my number, please feel free to call me back for verification.

Phone Operator: Hello, Dateline NBC

KE: So, is there a Christina there?

DNBC: Yes, she's one of the file producers, hold on please...

OY, it's a bad day! lol

Last edited:
"I'm Chris Hanson working with Dateline NBC, and we're doing a story on cell phone users who have no regards or respect for others when it comes to them using their cell phones.

If there is anything else that you want to say, we'd like to hear it. Otherwise, you're free to go."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom