What are you eating Saturday, January 20, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Black bean risotto with beef short ribs.

20240120_184850.jpg

That's very innovative, black beans with risotto. Italian-Cuban fusion?
Not my idea. The local TV news stations do blurbs on popular and innovative restaurants. That particular restaurant is Cuban based, but chef does all kinds of fusions.

But, yes, made like risotto using the black beans liquid thinned with a little chicken broth.

Danish comfort food again. The recipe is called "Hakket Oksekød med Kartoffellåg" (ground beef with a potato lid). The bottom part of this casserole had fried ground beef, onion, bell pepper (I used roasted, marinated red pepper from a a jar and a wimpy jalapeño.) and tomato (I used passata). Mashed potatoes were mixed with crème fraiche and topped the meat and veg portion of the casserole. Last, it was topped with shredded cheddar. Baked at 225°C for about 15 minutes. It was soupier than I would have liked but still tasted good. I'm working on the tweaks to this recipe and substituting mashed potatoes for lightly cooked sliced potato was sub-optimal. I served it with pickled beets and baby dill pickles.

Ground Beef Casserole with a Potato Lid.jpg
Ground Beef Casserole with a Potato Lid, pickled beets and baby dill pickles.jpg

Baked beans with a squirt of ketchup. 🐷

Lillian Bigsby’s Home Baked Beans

2 lbs. Great northern beans or small white beans
1 cup granulated white sugar*
½ pound salt pork or bacon
1 ½ t salt
¼ t black pepper
½ t baking soda

Soak beans overnight in water. Drain beans, cover with fresh water, add baking soda and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes with baking soda and drain. Add fresh water to cover the beans by approx. 1 inch and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer slowly until the beans are mushy and begin to break down, approx. 1 ½ -2 hours. Lillian Bigsby said give them a stir and if you think they are done let them cook another ½ hour! (You may add additional water while cooking but, try to resist it.) Stir in sugar, salt and pepper. Pour into a baking dish and nestle the chunk of salt pork into the beans. Bake at 325 degrees for approx. 2 to 3 hours, until most of the liquid is absorbed. The exact timing on these baked beans is difficult. I have had them come out of the oven perfectly after 1 ½ hours and I have had to bake them the full 3 hours.

* these days, I swap out the sugar for a squirt of sugar free maple flavored syrup and a squirt of spicy brown mustard.

Up in Connecticut for the weekend, and stopped by one of our favorite places to pick up food. Couldn't pass up " Lasagna Egg Rolls" with marinara sauce to dip in. A piece of lasagna wrapped up in an egg roll wrapper, then deep fried to give it that signature ' outer egg-roll-like crunch'. I love these things. Today was a cheat day. We usually don't eat (good) crap like this.

Attachments

• lasagna egg roll.png
    lasagna egg roll.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Bacon, Leek and Potato Gratin

A most delicious dish from the worst written recipe in a blog I've ever read. Took me almost 2-3 days to make this. From reading, rereading - doing 10 minutes here, 15 minutes there, until finally done. Gonna take a lot to straighten it out in written form and I will then put my own ruddy name on it! Of course it didn't help to realize I was short on one of the 4 most important ingredient - but I muddled thru.

20240120_bacon n leek 2.jpg

sorry, should have cropped the picture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom