What are you eating Tuesday, July 4, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Lunch was pasta salad.

Dinner was pasta, hot and sweet Italian sausage, tomato sauce, topped with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano & pecorino romano cheeses. I took a picture of leftovers in a tray because it will also be lunch tomorrow.

pasta_sausage_070423_IMG_1207.jpg

Corn OTC - no need to prehusk, soak, cook, cut stem end off, slide corn out. Completely clean, no silk, beautiful clean, perfect.

1688522469441.png
trim straggly bits
1688522467974.png
open a tiny bit to soak - cook to your preference. I did 2 cobs 8 minutes in micro, or wrap in foil onto grill.
1688522531620.png
When cooked, chomp off stem end being sure to get a least one row of the corn - squeeze out of husk and you have....
1688522599343.png
Perfectly clean! no silk. Beautiful - butter 'er up - grind some pepper - and eat!

Attachments

• 1688522376887.png
    1688522376887.png
    956.3 KB · Views: 5
I made some gazpacho today, surprisingly with frozen tomatoes from 2021! I went to my freezer yesterday, to pull out what I thought was the last bag, that I had taken a few tomatoes out of already. But way in the back, there was another bag, that somehow I had missed, but it was still in good condition. I had just over 60 oz of tomatoes, which I split into two batches, and made it in 2 parts in the Vitamix. I put a small cucumber, a half of a large pepper, half of a small garlic clove, half of a shallot, 2 tb EVOO, 1 tb sherry vinegar, salt to taste, and blended it briefly. Then I added 1½ tb chia seeds to it, let it gel about 5 minutes, then blended on high each time, until totally smooth. I mixed these two together, then refrigerated it all day. I got close to 4 qts of gazpacho! I diced up some more cucumbers, plus some fresh tomatoes and some chives to serve with (didn't have any more peppers), along with some croutons.
Frozen tomatoes, from 2 years ago, ready to use for gazpacho. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the soup, before I topped with the croutons.
Gazpacho, made with frozen tomatoes, everything else from this season. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Earlier in the day I cooked the only thing I "cooked" all day - 3/4 c toor dal, which I cooked 13 minutes with 2 c water in the Instant Pot, which I cooled some, then ground in the food processor with some oily dried olives, pitted, along with some olive paste - both things I get all the time at Lidl - and added about 2 tb nam prik pao to it. I used this for a dip, for carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, and celery sticks.

We had all-American Taco Tuesday for lunch. Before you ask: All-American 'cuz it was ground beef! For dinner...I had ordered a whole pastrami from Katz Deli - and while that may not be "grilling" food, it was perfect! Too hot to be outside grilling! I found the most wonderful crusty rolls and it was just a perfect meal.

Corn OTC - no need to prehusk, soak, cook, cut stem end off, slide corn out. Completely clean, no silk, beautiful clean, perfect.

View attachment 65124 trim straggly bits
View attachment 65123 open a tiny bit to soak - cook to your preference. I did 2 cobs 8 minutes in micro, or wrap in foil onto grill.
View attachment 65125 When cooked, chomp off stem end being sure to get a least one row of the corn - squeeze out of husk and you have....View attachment 65126 Perfectly clean! no silk. Beautiful - butter 'er up - grind some pepper - and eat!

I cook COTC in the microwave too. Why do you soak yours before cooking?

The extra water inside the husks helps to keep the kernels from bursting. We started doing that on the grill, as that is a much drier heat and they would easily scorch and I guess I just kept on doing it. I think it works, not necessary for a long soak for in the micro. My friend does hers without the husk and just wrapped in paper towel for about a minute an a half. but I prefer to do longer and wetter. LOL - if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

The extra water inside the husks helps to keep the kernels from bursting. We started doing that on the grill, as that is a much drier heat and they would easily scorch and I guess I just kept on doing it. I think it works, not necessary for a long soak for in the micro. My friend does hers without the husk and just wrapped in paper towel for about a minute an a half. but I prefer to do longer and wetter. LOL - if it ain't broke - don't fix it!
Thanks. Just curious. I don't soak because When I saw this method on YouTube, there was no soaking involved.

Thanks. Just curious. I don't soak because When I saw this method on YouTube, there was no soaking involved.
Same here. But, I quit buying corn on the cob. They quit selling the regular, yellow stuff around here. All I can get is the "peaches and cream" corn, which is too sweet for my taste.

I can't imagine how that works. How do you think it works?

When I was a kid, we belonged to a sailing club. Every year the club had a big picnic. They soaked corn on the cob in buckets of water to help them steam on the grill. DH and I like our corn grilled without the husk so it gets grill marks and a bit of smokiness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom