What are your Favorite Ethnic Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie,

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to dig out this family recipe. It is exactly how I expect traditional home-style recipes to be. Lasagne in a way is quite similar in preparation to Greek Mousakas. I will definitely try this when time permits.

If I were to pick one favourite, it would be clearly Italian, but living in the heart of Rome, "Italian cuisine" is considered just normal food, not at all "ethnic"!!:LOL: Also it is really a broad description to just say Italian food, as they can differ from being "Alpine" in the north to "Semi tropic" in the south, and everything else in between. But I like them all!! (well, as long as it doesn't get too carnivorous...)

Other cuisines I am particularly fond of are

-Indian
-Middle Eastern-Mediterranean (things like Lebanese, Turkish, Moroccan etc... they seem to have strong connections due to the logistic/climatic factor and their culinary borders are sort of blurred...)
-Mexican
-Greek

I have so many that I adore it`s impossible to deliver a concise answer, but as a short list (in no particular order) it would have to be:

Thai
BBQ (it`s still semi-foreign in the UK)
Mexican
Japanese

and any of the above with a Beer :)

buckytom said:
you name the ethnicity, and i'll bet i can name a dish that i've had that would be my fave. :)

How about Burkina Faso?:cool: :cool:

( You knew someone would come up with a silly question, didn't you??):ROFLMAO:

cliveb said:
How about Burkina Faso?:cool: :cool:

( You knew someone would come up with a silly question, didn't you??):ROFLMAO:

Based on the premis there`s a MacDonalds almost Everywhere you go, then it simply has to be a BigMac:LOL:

(you just Knew someone would come up an equaly Silly answer :-p)

yt, oofda! i haven't had mickey d's in years. about the only fast food i'll eat is wendy's.
i even risked and caught montezuma's revenge, after a hurricane in mexico, because i refused to eat mcdonald's. everyone else i travelled with ate mcdonald's for a week, nothing else, and were fine. i would have rather been sacrificed at chichen itza than eat those dried up hockey pucks for so long.

hah! clive, i do have a favourite food from burkina faso.
they have a special dish, created in 1952 by a family of great chefs known the schwedees.
it is essentially a combination of secret ingredients, found only in burkina faso, and somewhat resembles a cross between a truffle and a meatball.
recently, the word has gotten out about them, and people from everywhere are travelling to burkina faso to get them.

if you are adventurous enough, you should be able to find lots of sites on the internet that have pictures of, and maybe even sells schwedee balls. :) :-p :rolleyes:

lol, umm, maybe that's the american spelling. it's spelled a little differently in burkina faso. :)

My sister used to make a souvlakia(sp) with pork cubes that was so good. I made it a few times, but lost the recipe. That was one of my favorite foods.

Persian.
Though that's not ethnic to me. Just good food I get when my grandparents cook. Kuku, tachin, and khoroshts. I've tried learning and making it, but somehow it doesn't taste as good when I try.

Wow! It's interesting to see so many different types of foods. ...though I think I might have to look some of them up!

By the way, what are kuku, tachin and khoroshts?

There's no way I could narrow my favorites down to just one... or ten for that matter.

However, I just started experimenting with Indian cuisine and am really enjoying the flavors and trying out different curries. I also went through a Thai period, a Spanish, an Eastern European, and a Southern (US), phase. And of course, my DH's family is Italian and owns an Italian restaurant, so I have to include Southern Italian also. Love 'em all!

For me . . . It's probably Mexican - I make a couple Mexi/TexMex meals a week. But I also love Cajun, Comfort food, Italian, Indian, & Asian to name a few.

Thai food. I love the wounderful mixtures of spicy, sweet, sour, tart...all in the same dish.

Mexican - chile rellenos, tacos, handmade tortillas, chile verde
Asian - egg drop soup, hot and sour soup, kung pao chicken, general Tso's chicken,
Korean - bulgogi, pickled bean sprouts, kimchee,
Vietnamese - pho,
Filipino - pancit
Cajun - jambalaya, gumbo
Thai - beef jantaboon

Back
Top Bottom