What did you eat Sunday, July 2, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Spareribs (house blend dry rub) done in the stove-top smoker (hickory & mesquite smoke chips/dust). Mopped with SBR sauce, and finished under broiler. Doctored Bush's baked beans on the side.
Also had an ice cream cone with chocolate sprinkles (Häagen-Dazs coffee chip, was very good).

spareribs_beans_070223_IMG_1191.jpg

I made an Indian dish with those 5 eggplants I picked yesterday - a one-dish sambar, with 2 dals and some steel cut oats, which isn't traditional, but a good combination with the dal. I started with a chopped purple onion sautéed in a little olive oil, and when lightly browned, I added a tb each of minced garlic and ginger, and stirred for a minute, then stirred in the cut up eggplants. I switched it to sauté/high, and stirred frequently, about 7 minutes, until a lot of the eggplant pieces were browning. Then I stirred in 3 tb of sambar masala powder, about 30 seconds, then added 5 c of water, and stirred to release anything on the bottom of the pot. Then I added 2/3 c steel cut oats, 2/3 c channa dal, and 1/3 c masoor dal, about ten curry leaves, 3/4 tsp turmeric, and salt to taste. I then hit OFF, then MANUAL and set it to 13 min. After finished, I let it release naturally. Meanwhile, I measured out the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, dried peppers, asafoetida, and a dozen or so curry leaves, and made the tarka, and added that at the end, along with some chopped cilantro.
Eggplant sambar, with tarka on top, ready to stir in by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished eggplant sambar, topped with cilantro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I made breakfast for supper. 3 duck eggs and 2 chicken eggs, bacon, wholewheat toast, and a few haskap berries.

I see from the first picture, that DH somehow got part of my chicken egg yoke. My duck egg didn't have a broken yolk. It would have been nice if the egg yolks had been a bit softer/runnier. Oh well.

breakfast for supper - 2 duck eggs, 1 chicken egg, bacon, wholewheat toast jpg.jpg
breakfast for supper - duck eggs, chicken eggs, bacon, wholewheat toast.jpg

Despite the fact that it's summer, I made soup. There's a brand of frozen meatballs called Simek's. The homestyle version of these are not bad at all. I used a package of these, a hefty amount of chicken & vegetable broth, some baby spinach leaves and cut spaghetti pasta. Came together in about an hour and a half and it was quite tasty.

I needed something that was relatively easy, since I worked overnight last night and tonight as well. A poor man's Italian wedding soup fit the bill.

I made a burst grape tomato sauce with shallots, garlic powder and fresh basil and parsley from the garden, as well as some Penzeys Frozen Pizza Seasoning, and served it over three-cheese ravioli. Texas toast with garlic butter on the side with a few fresh mozzarella balls. Next time I'll add some chopped pickled banana peppers for some zing.

20230702_200122.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom