What is this Asian veggie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I was looking through the flyer of a local Asian supermarket and saw this vegi. Is it taro? I know that sometimes people refer to taro as "Chinese yam".

Chinese yam.jpg

That's what I've known it as - the Chinese Yam - though I see it more in Korean markets and some in SE Asian, and not so much in Chinese. One of the few things I haven't tried in Asian markets.

I'm pretty darned sure that that is "Chinese yam", because it says, "YAM CHINOIS", which is French for Chinese yam. I'm asking if that is that the same thing as taro. I have read that it is the same.

Can anyone here read the Asian characters? I assume they are Chinese.

Having fallen down the rabbit hole of translations and wiki...

yes, they are chinese symbols, simplified or traditional, mountain dialect, or usage dialect (medicinal), etc.

However, I did not see any symbols that matched when asking for a direct translation of taro, yam, sweet potato or just potato.

If you input "yam" and "chinese yam" you get different symbols.
About the only way you will know (without a linguist specializing) is to buy some taro and the yam and taste test.

Last edited:
If you open the link I posted, you will see a photo of exactly the same thing tax posted - Chinese Yam/nagaimo.

Thanks everyone. So, it is the vegi I want for okonomiyaki, "nagaimo". But, unfortunately, it is a yam. Yams are estrogenic, so I'm not supposed to have those. Oh well, there are things one can substitute for the nagaimo in okonomiyaki. It's just that the nagaimo is part of giving it authentic flavour.

Make that "Teaching" English and "It" literally.
I think my keyboard is shot.

I'm having a similar problem.

3 keys will not work, from time to time. My pc guy checked my laptop and said the keyboard cannot be replaced.

I guess I'm looking at continuous typing frustration or buying a new laptop. :neutral:

Ross

I'm having a similar problem.

3 keys will not work, from time to time. My pc guy checked my laptop and said the keyboard cannot be replaced.

I guess I'm looking at continuous typing frustration or buying a new laptop. :neutral:

Ross

What about getting an external keyboard for the laptop, if you aren't ready to buy a new laptop? There are some that plug into a USB port and there are even some that are wireless.

What about getting an external keyboard for the laptop, if you aren't ready to buy a new laptop? There are some that plug into a USB port and there are even some that are wireless.

A possible great idea. Thank you. :)

I suppose that it will bypass the builtin just as my mouse bypasses the built in one.

Ross

Back
Top Bottom