What is your favorite snack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At this time of year, tomatoes. While cutting up those 3 lbs+ of tomatoes today, for the dinner, I kept tasting those different varieties, to compare them, and kept trying a couple green varieties, I had the most of, and tasted the best. In the off season I often make varieties of bean dip, mostly with lentils, with some corn chips (usually when I have leftovers from , but mostly carrots and celery sticks.

Dark chocolate is my favorite sweet snack, definitely.

I used to crave lay's potato chips, the salt, the crispiness, the oil. I gave them up and it was no small feat. My blood pressure is normal now too.

Snacks: oranges, cantaloupe, dried apple chips, dried banana chips, and for something sweeter, black bean brownies, zucchini or fruit bread, very dark % chocolate.
The way you wrote that made me laugh. I'm not laughing at you but, the way you wrote that your blood pressure is now normal after giving up the salty chips did tickle my funny bone - a bit of a "well, yeah" funny.

Leftover pizza! 🐷🐷🐷

It’s a constant battle for me to limit snacks and appealing leftovers.

When I’m being an adult a few dark chocolate chips and walnut pieces do the trick. When my inner child takes over all bets are off and nothing is safe!

1689484932119.jpeg

My favourite snack is whatever I see in front of my face. down it goes, nothing is safe with me either.

OK, my two favourite things to buy are Lay's Less Salty Chips - find all other too salty. Also there is a big yellow bag of popcorn, 300 gr. for about $3.00. (Price has almost doubled.) Has a picture of a clown on it - don't know the name. So far have only found it at the Dollar Store and one grocers.

You know, I love a good ripe bosc pear, or pink lady apple. Raspberries,blackberries, Saskatchewan berries, etc, cookies (pecan sandies anyone), brownies, cake, all kinds of pies, all kinds of nuts, popcorn, cold leftover spaghetti, cold slice of liverwurst, cold hot dogs, good cheesem all kinds of salumi, etc. All of these are great snacks, as are so many other snack items.

That being said, my all time favorite snack is one I can no longer enjoy due to kidney issues, Lay's Ruffles potato chips, followed by Lay's regular potato chips. The complex flavor of those fried, salted potato slices is just something I sometimes crave, If there was a pack of potato chips in the house, I had to have someone hide them from me. They are almost irresistible.

Ok. I shared my weakness with you. What is/are your all time favorite snacks, complex or simple. It could be leftover turkey stuffing, or cold pizza, or a Hershey bar. What do yo find irresistible? And, are there any foods you love to eat as they remind you of a lost parent, or grandparent with whom you used to enjoy it?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Colby cheese sliced thin is one of my favorite snacks. I also eat a lot of Hershey's Nuggets with almonds.

You know, I love a good ripe bosc pear, or pink lady apple. Raspberries,blackberries, Saskatchewan berries, etc, cookies (pecan sandies anyone), brownies, cake, all kinds of pies, all kinds of nuts, popcorn, cold leftover spaghetti, cold slice of liverwurst, cold hot dogs, good cheesem all kinds of salumi, etc. All of these are great snacks, as are so many other snack items.

That being said, my all time favorite snack is one I can no longer enjoy due to kidney issues, Lay's Ruffles potato chips, followed by Lay's regular potato chips. The complex flavor of those fried, salted potato slices is just something I sometimes crave, If there was a pack of potato chips in the house, I had to have someone hide them from me. They are almost irresistible.

Ok. I shared my weakness with you. What is/are your all time favorite snacks, complex or simple. It could be leftover turkey stuffing, or cold pizza, or a Hershey bar. What do yo find irresistible? And, are there any foods you love to eat as they remind you of a lost parent, or grandparent with whom you used to enjoy it?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
If it's because of their sodium level, can't you just rinse the chips under tap water? This is what I sometimes do, because potato chips are usually all too salty for me. But otherwise they taste heavenly.

Other snacks I also like: chocolate, certain candies, butter biscuit, cream puff, cheesecake, the list goes on. But I have been abstaining though, trying to shed some pounds. I have too many unsightly jiggly bits.

You RINSE your potato chips under water? doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of nice and crunchy? I love Lay's Less Salt Potato Chips. They have sort of ruined all other chips for me as being too salty.
Sorry, I'm not remembering if you said where you were from. England and North America have a difference in "chips". but in either case - I don't think I would ever rinse them off!

BTW, Chief Longwind of the North has departed from us. He was a wonderful member of this forum and is sorely missed. RIP Chief! I think of you often.

If it's because of their sodium level, can't you just rinse the chips under tap water? This is what I sometimes do, because potato chips are usually all too salty for me. But otherwise they taste heavenly.

Other snacks I also like: chocolate, certain candies, butter biscuit, cream puff, cheesecake, the list goes on. But I have been abstaining though, trying to shed some pounds. I have too many unsightly jiggly bits.
I'm sincerely baffled by this.

You RINSE your potato chips under water? doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of nice and crunchy? I love Lay's Less Salt Potato Chips. They have sort of ruined all other chips for me as being too salty.
Sorry, I'm not remembering if you said where you were from. England and North America have a difference in "chips". but in either case - I don't think I would ever rinse them off!

BTW, Chief Longwind of the North has departed from us. He was a wonderful member of this forum and is sorely missed. RIP Chief! I think of you often.
By chips I mean potato chips like Lay's or Pringles. And yes, I know that rinsing them under water makes them kind of soggy, however it's really not too bad, as long as you eat them immediately afterwards. They are still relatively crispy and crunchy. And I find that by washing off the salt, they become much more palatable. Some potato chips are so salty, that eating a few of them causes the inside of my mouth to bleed. No thanks.

Ditto! I used to always eat the Classic Lay's. Then I discovered the lower sodium version (in the blue bag) and love them. At first they weren't quite salty enough. But my taste buds adjusted and now they're perfect.

I was in a convenience store the other morning before work grabbing a couple of things and I had a hankerin' for some Lay's. They don't carry the lower sodium version, so I grabbed a snack bag of the Classic. Whoa! Those were salty. Almost too salty. Yet they're what I always used to eat.

Funny how that happens.

By chips I mean potato chips like Lay's or Pringles. And yes, I know that rinsing them under water makes them kind of soggy, however it's really not too bad, as long as you eat them immediately afterwards. They are still relatively crispy and crunchy. And I find that by washing off the salt, they become much more palatable. Some potato chips are so salty, that eating a few of them causes the inside of my mouth to bleed. No thanks.
Interesting. I personally can't see doing something like that, but if it works for you, that's what counts. ;)

And this makes me wonder - if a chip company would make "no salt" potato chips, would people buy them? Or maybe there already is a no-salt version somewhere?

Interesting. I personally can't see doing something like that, but if it works for you, that's what counts. ;)

And this makes me wonder - if a chip company would make "no salt" potato chips, would people buy them? Or maybe there already is a no-salt version somewhere?
I would try no-salt chips for sure. But I think that in order for chips to taste good, they have to have some salt. But the problem with the chips we see in stores is that they are all too salty.

Last edited:
I would try no-salt chips for sure. But I think that in order for chips to taste good, they have to have some salt. But the problem with the chips we see in stores is that they are all too salty.
True. However, like I mentioned above, the Lay's lower sodium chips are pretty good. I love them now and they're the only ones I'll buy because, since they have less salt, you can really taste the potatoey goodness in every bite.

True. However, like I mentioned above, the Lay's lower sodium chips are pretty good. I love them now and they're the only ones I'll buy because, since they have less salt, you can really taste the potatoey goodness in every bite.
I see that you are American. Do you guys have Miss Vicky's potato chips? I find these to be not overly salty, plus they have this jalapeno flavor, which I really like.

I see that you are American. Do you guys have Miss Vicky's potato chips? I find these to be not overly salty, plus they have this jalapeno flavor, which I really like.
Yes we do. At least here in the Midwest. Not sure about everywhere else. Miss Vicky's chips are definitely good. Those would be my 2nd choice after the Lay's.

Reactions: Wan
Do either of you have a Mandolin? Slice a potato and thin as you possibly can,
20180201_183044.jpg
I spread them on a plate lined with some parchment, VERY lightly sprayed with an oil, zap in the micro for.... oh boy, now I forget, a minute? Keep giving little zaps til they are nice spotty brown. Sprinkle with salt, cool on a rack. Enjoy!
20180201_183051.jpg
I did not peel the potatoes. You might want to, your choice. Had a picture of "before" on the plate but while trying to place it here ... duh... I dropped it somewhere, sigh... bumblefingers.

OMG, can you believe it? I found it! Not that it is ground shaking by anymeans but here they are before zapping! Later on I got to the point of trimming the parchment paper to fit the plate and doing (remember when?) a snow flake cut out on the parchment. I reused the same parchment forever!
20180201_181942.jpg

Last edited:
Do either of you have a Mandolin? Slice a potato and thin as you possibly can, View attachment 65316 I spread them on a plate lined with some parchment, VERY lightly sprayed with an oil, zap in the micro for.... oh boy, now I forget, a minute? Keep giving little zaps til they are nice spotty brown. Sprinkle with salt, cool on a rack. Enjoy!
View attachment 65317 I did not peel the potatoes. You might want to, your choice. Had a picture of "before" on the plate but while trying to place it here ... duh... I dropped it somewhere, sigh... bumblefingers.
Oh, yum! I have to try that soon. Thanks for sharing :-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom