What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The storm surge and associated flooding is often more dangerous than the winds. People underestimate the power of a wall of moving water.

All the meteorologists seem to be stressing the danger of water moreso than wind, until they start talking about tornadoes. I don't even want to think about a storm surge.

We're not far from Coral Springs Charlie and it's not bad, just bad storms right now at 9.30.

Unfortunately for west coast though, NWS was on local TV saying they are afraid the current wall of the center is breaking down and a new larger wall may form from the radar images they are seeing, which will mean possible stronger winds and a larger hurricane force wind field. They reiterated several times it's just a possibility right now and that they would be watching.

They sre expecting 15 foot storm surge in Naples at 2 this afternoon.

All the meteorologists seem to be stressing the danger of water moreso than wind, until they start talking about tornadoes. I don't even want to think about a storm surge.
They're both very dangerous, but people tend to think more about the wind, probably because the categories are based on wind speed. Lots of people don't even understand what flash flooding is.

My DH was a meteorologist in the Navy and since then has taught high school Earth science, meteorology, and oceanography, so I have learned a lot from him over the 35 years we have lived on the Mid-Atlantic coast.

Hope all is well with you, as my kids are I'm school in Coral Spring, you. An imagine I'm seating here all worked up. Even though they are saying that it will not be as bad as first thought. G-d help us and save us all.

Charlie God is the only one who can help
us now. Hope he still likes me. :)
We live in Dade City, 25 miles of NE of Tampa
We are already having tornado warnings. We will pray for your children to be safe. Every body be safe.

Josie

Last edited:
There's a curfew here until 10 a.m. but when Craig took pugs out lots of people were out driving so he went to house. Totally fine except for lots of vegetation clean up. No power or cell service in neighborhood though. We took precaution of adding another day to hotel yesterday so are going to overnight here, maybe take a few things back later on. We dodged a big one again thank goodness. BTW still no reports coming out of lower Keys that took first mainland u.s. hit. National Guard headed that way this morning to start clearing roads aND bridge visual inspections.

Last edited:
Some of the cities along coast are not allowing people in yet, so he needs to check if he lives very close to coast.

Keys were entirely closed to all but first responders as of the news a couple of hours ago.

DD's house in punta gorda, just north of Fort Myers, is fine. They went to SIL's family in NOLA when it became clear they were going to get hit. A friend that stayed checked on their house and sent them pics a few minutes ago.

They are showing extensive coverage of key largo now from helicopter. Reporter made comment it looked like tornado alley in places. Boats are everywhere, homes blown off stilts, water everywhere.

Hopefully Josie came thru okay too

The sun is out again and the sky is blue. The grass is already starting to turn green again and the smoke is cleared up. We didn't have a lot of rain over the weekend, but just enough to get things on the right track again before fall sets in.

I haven't checked in on the fires yet today but am hoping that at least part of the affected areas got some relief on the weekend.

Last edited:
Some of the cities along coast are not allowing people in yet, so he needs to check if he lives very close to coast.

Keys were entirely closed to all but first responders as of the news a couple of hours ago.

Thanks for the heads up...

They are monitoring the situation, contacting neighbors who stayed and the city officials...

Jossie and Medtran and everybody in hurricane zone are safe and sound. Hope all the problem did not affect you.
My son is still in Orlando, daughters are back to dorm. There is still no school though. Still out of power. Weird. Dorm is only 10 minutes away and they have power there.

Good to know that most of our friends and family members are OK. I'm still waiting to hear from tinlizzy, though. ?

Our niece lives on the east side of Orlando, near 417 and Curry Ford Drive. She never lost power and had negligible storm damage.

Jossie and Medtran and everybody in hurricane zone are safe and sound. Hope all the problem did not affect you.
My son is still in Orlando, daughters are back to dorm. There is still no school though. Still out of power. Weird. Dorm is only 10 minutes away and they have power there.
If there is a hospital or water pumping station or some other public facility on the same line route, it will be restored pretty quickly.

If there is a hospital or water pumping station or some other public facility on the same line route, it will be restored pretty quickly.

Umm no. We have a large hospital on the road into our community, only a couple hundred feet from entrance gates. We also are just off a main thoroughfare where businesses have power. We don't.

Thank goodness for genny. We now have the window shaker going since fridges and freezer have cooled down considerably. We got a pretty good size genny so it's handling load fine, just really using up the gas still. Once food coolers get down to.where they are supposed to.be, gas usage will drop off. Pugs were panting so hard, especially our little black one, that we were getting afraid for them. They wouldn't sit in front of fans.

Anyway power company says all of mainland east coast should have power by end of weekend at latest.

Last edited:
Umm no. We have a large hospital on the road into our community, only a couple hundred feet from entrance gates. We also are just off a main thoroughfare where businesses have power. We don't.

Too bad. When we lost power after a tropical storm, we got power back pretty quickly because there's a pumping station around the corner from us. And we got water back more quickly than others because the water line from another city goes through our neighborhood to the Navy hospital downtown.

I'm glad you and your family came through it safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom