What to do with chia seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they are whole they probably don't need to the sniff test, but sniff them anyways and if they smell like nothing and are not rancid, then use them. If they are ground they will go rancid faster, so sniff them.

We grind them in a coffee/nut grinder, mixed with ground flax seed, and put a tablespoon or two with our oatmeal or grain flakes. They have a nutty flavor and lots of omega 3's.

Another option, to use them whole, is to make a chia pudding. Generally, some kind of milk (plant based or dairy), cocoa, sweetener, vanilla, and chia seeds, let sit in the fridge overnight, and voila a chia pudding. We've had it twice, the chocolate was better than the vanilla flavors.

A substitute for an egg: It’s simple – just 1 Tbsp chia seeds + 2.5 Tbsp water = a chia egg. But then what? So many uses! https://minimalistbaker.com/make-chia-egg/

When I'm low on ground flax in baking, I'll use ground chia seeds.

Except for the pudding, I like them ground. After I grind them I keep most of it in the freezer and just a serving shaker for daily use.

georgevan - dont know if chia are like flax but flax seed once ground need to be used quickly else it looses it's potency. I'm going to assume chia is the same. So either do as blissful - grind a bunch and freeze! Or grind just enough for a day or two.

but again, I don't know if they are like flax seed in that way.

I also use them whole when I mix them with yogurt, almond milk, and rolled oats with flavorings for overnight oats. A large tablespoon or two regular tablespoons per a quart of my overnight oats and I have breakfast for days.

I also use them whole when I mix them with yogurt, almond milk, and rolled oats with flavorings for overnight oats. A large tablespoon or two regular tablespoons per a quart of my overnight oats and I have breakfast for days.
I've been encouraging mr bliss to give overnight oats a try. He could eat them cold or warm and no fuss in the morning. He makes oatmeal with raisins or blueberries in the microwave the same way now for 4 years straight. He only skips it when he has blueberry pancakes, or oat-fruit cookies. He never wavers. There are lots of interesting overnight oat recipes to try.

I use whole chia, mostly, but also grind a few up at a time, and keep a jar in my spice drawer, and use that to thicken some things. I put a spoonful of them in yellow mustard, when I open a container, and pour out that vinegar, that has separated (I hate when that comes out onto my bread!) - the chia powder thickens this, and similar things, when mixed in. The whole ones I use mostly in smoothies - I first liquify whatever it is briefly in my Vitamix, then mix the seeds in, and let them gel, while doing some other things. About 5 minutes or so later, I totally lifuify the mix - the chia more or less disappears, then I add some ice, if making that kind.

Something similar I use it for is thickening gazpacho, and other cold soups. Keeps the soup from separating, which it is prone to do, even if bread is blended into it - the traditional thickener for gazpacho.

Back
Top Bottom