What's for Sunday dinner, October 8, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Growing up, there was tiny drive-up place called Pop's Rootbeer Stand. They sold wonderful hot dogs - one of their sauces was dubbed "Spanish sauce." When they closed, they posted the recipe for their Spanish sauce, so I made that today! In my cute red basket, I present hotdogs with Pop's Rootbeer Stand's Spanish sauce. (Pop also served everything in cute red baskets.) ;) For dessert, we had banana cake.

20231008_174424.jpg

The brother-in-law made supper. This is our first Thanksgiving since my MIL, his mother died. He did a splendid job. He pulled out the fancy plates and the cutlery with the bone handles. There was braised beef with carrots, onions, and new potatoes. There were the last of the pickled beets that his mum had made, pickled onions, small sausages, and cauliflower with cheese, as well as some dinner rolls. It was all delicious and he managed to get it all to the table at the same time. There was apple pie and ice cream for dessert. I offered to help, but he did it all himself. The fake money on the table were the napkins.

Thanksgiving supper made by Marcus 2.jpg
Thanksgiving supper made by Marcus.jpg

Growing up, there was tiny drive-up place called Pop's Rootbeer Stand. They sold wonderful hot dogs - one of their sauces was dubbed "Spanish sauce." When they closed, they posted the recipe for their Spanish sauce, so I made that today! In my cute red basket, I present hotdogs with Pop's Rootbeer Stand's Spanish sauce. (Pop also served everything in cute red baskets.) ;) For dessert, we had banana cake.

View attachment 66411
So what is Pop's Spanish sauce?

View attachment 66411
Tell us about Spanish Sauce!!!

So what is Pop's Spanish sauce?
Tell us about Spanish Sauce!!!
@Kathleen , I found it.

@Kathleen , I found it.

I would enjoy that without the hotdogs! 🐷

The brother-in-law made supper. This is our first Thanksgiving since my MIL, his mother died. He did a splendid job. He pulled out the fancy plates and the cutlery with the bone handles. There was braised beef with carrots, onions, and new potatoes. There were the last of the pickled beets that his mum had made, pickled onions, small sausages, and cauliflower with cheese, as well as some dinner rolls. It was all delicious and he managed to get it all to the table at the same time. There was apple pie and ice cream for dessert. I offered to help, but he did it all himself. The fake money on the table were the napkins.

View attachment 66413View attachment 66414
Obviously, we also had corn on the cob, which I forgot to mention. D'oh! :doh:

LP, 2 of my favourite chicken dinners are Cordon Bleu and Chicken Kiev! Might be old-fashiioned but never out of fashion! :LOL:
I agree, Dragnlaw! I make both of them still and I will never get tired of them. I once had to make Chicken Kiev for a wedding when I was catering. I made 150 of them and they were devoured. It was a favourite of the groom.

@LPBeier @dragnlaw - I wouldn’t think to speak for your locale, but here down under, a good chicken Kiev or Cordon Bleu seems to be a unicorn. I know that it’s deeply old fashioned cuisine nowadays, and oh-so-out of fashion, but when I started in the industry you had to learn how to make them well.
I remember around 2000, we were hosting a big formal dinner event for about 700 with some visiting dignitaries in attendance and chef had been tasked with writing a retro menu.
Prawn cocktails, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Beef Bourguinon and Sticky Date Pudding. It was a lot of work as we all strived to elevate these old school recipes into high end fine dining. We young’ns learned a lot that week and the guests loved it.
Can’t beat the classics!

Back
Top Bottom