What's your weather like right now? 2023 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rain finally came! After just misting all morning, and no rain showing on the gauge, until just after 2:30, and I got .66" in less than half an hour. Seems to have stopped, by 3:00, but it's just much lighter now, and the harder rain is forecast for later!

Hot and uncomfortably humid for the next several days!

1687551072777.jpeg

Rainfall up to 1.35" at 5 pm, after the .66" just between 2:10 and 2:30 pm, with more to come. It looked like it was definitely coming, but I thought I probably jinxed myself a couple of days ago, when I turned off the water to the automatic irrigation! :LOL:

No severe thunderstorms, like that one a while back, that sounded like it was centered right up the street. Just very hard rain. I hope these wet days don't bring on any of those fungal diseases, which have pretty much absent this year, due to the dry weather.

Fascinating, I knew about them, don't know why. Perhaps I saw it in a movie or something.
I do know that in an apartment I put the baby for her naps in the carriage on the balcony. Even in winter, not horrid days, which Montreal was quite capable of, but as much as possible. Many people around me did.

OMG... another post I wrote around 11 am - again! 12 hours later... I'm afraid to check other posts now!

We are receiving more sprinkles today. Threats again of thunderstorms. So far, we have been blessed with gentle rains, which the plants and gardens love. The total right now is 1.5 inches, but more sprinkles. As long as they are gentle, they can sprinkle all weekend.

It's gloomy looking out. There was some light rain. We have a smog warning, because of fires in the north of Quebec. A lot of people will be disappointed. Today is the Fête de la Saint-Jean-Baptiste, la Saint-Jean, Fête nationale du Québec. That is a big deal around here.

It's currently 22°C (72°F), but we are leaving the air conditioner on. Windows sealed up and the air conditioner filters the inside air. We have smoke from the wild fires in Northern Quebec. The smoke seems worse this time. I can actually smell that it's wood smoke and the sun was an amazing red/orange colour.

1687746990038.png

If anyone is interested in seeing an interactive map of the fires and smoke, here's the link. The map includes almost all of Canada and most of the US.

I won't be taking out the garbage tonight. Last time we went out in wild fire smoke, we were both coughing (and sneezing too, for me) for hours afterwards and DH was having coughing fits for a couple of days.

That smoke got really bad. I breathed some outside air for about 3 minutes and half an hour later I got nauseous and vomited. 20 minutes later, I was much better.

Montreal’s air quality index (AQI) was at 226. That is / was the world's worst on Sunday. Link:

The air wasn't nearly so bad today. I couldn't smell any smoke and the sky looked normal. It was still "poor air quality", but about a quarter as much particulate in the air as yesterday. The best news is that the rain in the forecast for this week (just about every day) should also be up north, where it can help with fighting the fires.

I'm sort of lucky that I didn't get enough rain to fill up 5"+ rain deficit! The front today came into NJ, from downn DE, and one town was listed as getting 6.5", in a short period of time (though not too short - that was the problem, this was moving slower than yesterday). It just sideswiped me - only got an inch, to add to what I got overnight, which was .43", to add to that .02" I got in that storm the day before!

Right now, around midnight, I hear more, but it's not as violent as these last two, so I probably won't get much from it.

It's supposed to be less humid tomorrow, but only a brief reprieve, as Thursday starts right back again. It is summer, after all...

Today the AQI is an unhealthy 175.

It’s interesting to me how many things I’ve learned and adapted to over the last few years with the pandemic, the economy, and now the Canadian wildfires impact on my little corner of the world.

“Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative.” - H. G. Wells

Our air is at "acceptable", that seems to be one step worse than "poor". It's not really awful, like last Sunday, but it's not great. "As of today, 71 fires are still burning up north, with 9 of them out of control. It’s an improvement, but despite that, we should still have smoky skies for the next couple of days." Previously there were over 150 wildfires of which 110 were out of control.

A lot of that smoke is missing us and hitting you guys instead, but not all of it.

Back
Top Bottom