When you were a child what did you order at a restaurant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always used to order grilled cheese no matter where I went. The best was when we visited a snack bar my dad's friend owned and he came out with a plate of it for me before I'd even gotten a chance to order! I guess my dad had talked to him earlier, but I thought it was just about the coolest thing ever. :cool:

Spaghetti and meatballs. I was always torn between that and fried chicken, but usually went with the spaghetti and meatballs.

Dad and brother always ordered the fried clams.

Huge plates of food, way too much for any of us to finish. I think my bowl cost $1.00 and their clams may have been $1.50. Imagine THAT?

Lee

When I was in high school, the kids used to hang out at the A&W all time! We got to ordering cherry rootbeers for a while, but they stopped serving them, because the A&W people didn't want their rootbeer messed with.

We always went out to eat a lot...to all kinds of places. My grandpa would take the whole family out to eat a lot. Then there were times he just took me. I was his "special girl".
When I was in the second grade, Grandpa had his body guard come to school and take me out of class. We flew in the company plane to Chicago, where he took me to meet his boss...who owned the coal company back then...and then to the Swiss Chalet in the Palmer House Hotel. The waiters wore tails and carried the little towel over the arm. I was quite impressed.
We also used to go to a tiny little "shack" run by an Italian couple he knew. They didn't have a menu...you called ahead and told them what you wanted. They had all sort of wonderful Italian food, and Aldo also made some great pit BBQ. My favorite thing, though, was his wife's fried pies. They were SO good!
Aldo's was the first place I ever ate pizza. There were no pizza places around here then, but Grandpa had eaten it in Chicago, and asked Aldo to make us one. I remember the crust was thin and crispy, and there wasn't a whole lot of tomato sauce on it. It had lots of garlic, though.

Last edited:
Since we have had so many good dinners this week, We are going to A&W for Mother's Day. Did I just mention that we are going to A&W Sunday? Yes, we have A&W. And it is just as you remember it! We pass by it everyday and stop to eat once in a while. Did I mention that it is A&W? :ROFLMAO:

mom was a great cook but did like to go out on occasion. She didn't try to do chinese at home so that was often where we went. I loved pepper steak, mushu pork, hot and sour soup, even as a kid. At the beach on vacation, we went for seafood! Not a critter or fish I didn't like.

Another memory - Dad would go to A & W and bring back hot dogs and a quart of root beer. After the dogs, we made root beer floats! Yum

A & W was always one of my favorites when we traveled by automobile. There are some newer versions in our area now but they are linked with company brand fish and/or chicken joints all working out of the same building.

There is one place near my house that is just “The Root Beer Stand”. It has the orange and brown color theme and car hops but can not use the A & W logo. This is an eat-in- your-car or take-out only option with a few picnic tables around the lot. Pull your vehicle into a slot and a uniformed young lady will put a plastic number on your windshield and bring your food on a tray that attaches to the outside of your vehicle window. Ahhh!, Nostalgia lives just minutes from my front door.

What was the question? Yes, what did I order as a child? - I usually ordered hamburger with just pickle. The problem I had was that most waitresses did not listen beyond “hamburger”. My sandwich would invariably arrive at our table with tomato, onion, mustard, catsup and mayonnaise in some combination or all inclusive. My father was a very impatient man and waiting while another hamburger was prepared to my specification would usually set him off. Scrapping of the offending burger toppings was unacceptable by me because once applied most of those items definitely leave trace elements.

We always took the approach with our son that he could order his own food to his specification. I would usually repeat the order to the wait staff to make sure they understood. My son is now 26 years old and he is a consumer. He still frequents restaurants that delivered his food as ordered and avoids the joints that didn’t seem to care or were not perceptive enough to realize that he was a future customer.

We are very lucky to have an A&W here were I live. I can't get enough of those "root beer floats". My DH likes the coney dogs.:rolleyes:

Crab cakes at Red Lobster and grilled cheese at Shoneys. When we were lucky we got to go the the pizza place which we loved.

My mom went out of town on business a lot so my dad and I ate out when she was away.

My favorite was a large hamburger with french fries and a coke. My dessert was a chocolate cake with hot fudge and vanilla ice cream on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom